Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DOJ to sue FDNY

40 posts in this topic

you do get additional points for military service (on top of the others) and you'll need college to be an officer so why not require it to get in the door...we're not talking about a masters degree here, just credits...prove you can learn

The only additional points that should be given is for Military service. Hey I am Latino. A "Minority"? I Don't think so. Have you looked around lately? There are more Spanish speakers out there then ever before. I don't care what kind of recruitment is done for "Minorities" if they just don't want it, it's not going to happen. The only thing I can see happening is they end up dropping the standards and all we get is a bunch of Lazy Fire Fighters who call in sick all the time or never show up for work?

Come on people!!

I am not sure who posted it but before but I will say it again. Remove the Race section and just be a number. that is the best way for every one.

USMC

OOOORAHHHHH!!

you do get additional points for military service (on top of the others) and you'll need college to be an officer so why not require it to get in the door...we're not talking about a masters degree here, just credits...prove you can learn

Exactly blkcloud. They are not asking for a degree from Harvard or Yale, all they were asking for was 15 credits, which is equivalent to 4 classes or 1 semester. Like I said in one of my previous posts and what blkcloud said in his post seems to be the most logical reason for requiring college. It does not necessarily show you are a genius or better than a guy that does not have any college, it shows you have the desire and the ability to learn and acquire new skills. In my opinion those are both very important characteristics to have as a firefighter, and are even more crucial as a probie. Just think about this for a moment. The average Joe entering the academy knows nothing about the fire service. All they know is that they go into fires and ride on big red (in FDNY's case) trucks, other than that they are for the most part clueless. Therefore this person must be able to learn a whole new set of skills in a limited amount of time. In my opinion having college credits is a good way to show you want and can learn.

Why lower the standards when they can be raised. No one is hurt by raising the standards except for those that don’t meet them. When you have 30,000 applicants you have room to raise the standards. The only logical time to lower the standards would be after a poor turnout for the test due to the standards being too high.

If I were a minority and saw that the standards were lowered to try to increase minority recruitment I would feel pretty insulted. To me it says that because of my background or nationality I am dumb, or I am not as good as another person because of my heritage.

Sorry for all my ranting; I just feel very strongly about this whole topic because my one goal in life is to be a career firefighter. There are times where I feel that because I am a white male I am being punished and I’m at the ultimate disadvantage. I know this is not true but cases like this really make me think about it. Why can’t they just hire off the list like they have always done, based on test scores and physical ability. It puts those most qualified at the top of the list and does not discriminate by race or gender.

soon they will be recruiting outside rikers island if the continue to lower the standards

Edited by efd184

at least they have to have some standards,some jobs do not require anything anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at least they have to have some standards,some jobs do not require anything anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulse....check.

Paid for the exam...check.

Welcome aboard! laugh.gif

I'll bet anyone who calls 9-1-1 doesn't give a rat's a$$ about weather or not those coming to their aid are "representitive of the community they serve".

Bottom line here is if you want something you need to earn it. You should not be handed a position because of your race, color or religion. Especially if that position puts peoples lives in your hands. This kind of crap is all you here about today. They want standards lowered and tests made easier in order to get more minorities on the job. As if there is not enough problems already they want to hand jobs to people who can't pass the basic entry exams. What a joke. These days they do all but take the tests for some people. If you want these jobs the system is fair, study, train, and become a resident. If that doesn't work you need to find another career, these jobs are not for everyone.

i'll 2nd that ohmy.gif

Eng158 I totally agree with your statement. Well said

Bottom line here is if you want something you need to earn it. You should not be handed a position because of your race, color or religion. Especially if that position puts peoples lives in your hands. This kind of crap is all you here about today. They want standards lowered and tests made easier in order to get more minorities on the job. As if there is not enough problems already they want to hand jobs to people who can't pass the basic entry exams. What a joke. These days they do all but take the tests for some people. If you want these jobs the system is fair, study, train, and become a resident. If that doesn't work you need to find another career, these jobs are not for everyone.

Well said!!!

Don't lower the standards or sue the FD!!!

Sue the school systems for not educating people enough to pass an entry level civil service exam!

Sue the parents for not making their kids go to school in the first place!