Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYS Thruway Engine 913

8 posts in this topic

I know this Engine has been discussed on this forum a few times before, but I haven't seen a photo of it yet....until I discovered one in my print collection. Not sure if I or someone else took this photo.

Besides Ford, what was the make of the body? And where did this unit end up going....I would imagine it living in a garage making only a handful of runs if that a year left it in good condition.

I'm also curious to know the tank size and how much supply line it carried.

[attachmentid=2595]

post-11-1178069914.jpg

Although I dont know much about this truck, I would image its no longer in service because wouldn't it state the unit number in the county roster? From what I see, thats 60-control unit designation plate (red) on the front of the truck. Since I see the "Engine" numbers only go up to 300, maybe this truck was 913 under the Thruway and a different number under 60-control. If departments like Greenburgh CD, the DES and NYS Power are listed on the roster, I would imaginge this would have to be if it was still in service. And not to take away from this topic, but I located a picture of a piece of fire apparatus used by the Port Authority, other than an Oshkosh ARFF truck. Its a huge Autocar foam tender/tanker....but dont know much more than that. Sorry, but I dont know what website this was from or who took the picture.

[attachmentid=2596]

post-2584-1178071280.jpg

Edited by BedfordFire

The body looks to be an E-One judging by the extruded body frame. Other than that I dont have any other info.

913 is indeed a Thruway Designation. That rig I believe was technically under Rockland County's system, and was 35-500, if memory serves. Hope this helps.

-Joe DA BUFF

According to a Weschester County Apparatus Plate assignment list form 8/11/82, NYS Thruway was assigned plates for Engines 215, 216, 217. Another undated list I have lists only E240 for the NYS Thruway.

Although I dont know much about this truck, I would image its no longer in service because wouldn't it state the unit number in the county roster? From what I see, thats 60-control unit designation plate (red) on the front of the truck. Since I see the "Engine" numbers only go up to 300, maybe this truck was 913 under the Thruway and a different number under 60-control. If departments like Greenburgh CD, the DES and NYS Power are listed on the roster, I would imaginge this would have to be if it was still in service. And not to take away from this topic, but I located a picture of a piece of fire apparatus used by the Port Authority, other than an Oshkosh ARFF truck. Its a huge Autocar foam tender/tanker....but dont know much more than that. Sorry, but I dont know what website this was from or who took the picture.

[attachmentid=2596]

mid 90's white/volvo not a autocar

self contained unit, no supply line I say about 1000 gal tank looks about right. where are there hydrants out there?

According to the Visting Fireman publication-"Fire Apparatus photo album of non-municipal equipment", the Tappan Zee bridge has had a few rigs assigned to it over the years.

1965 International cab-over/Ward Lafrance 350gpm/1000/50 foam

1976 Ford F-350 4x2/Pierce 250gpm/250

Besides the bridge, Thruway had a fleet of rigs that at one time covered pretty much the whole Truway

1956 Chevrolet/Young 250gpm/330/50 foam/100 dry chem

These rigs when removed from service were either auctioned off or offered to FD that had that part of the thruway in their district.

Also listed is the rig on the GWB prior to the 10-wheel White cab-over was

1977 White/Gibson 700gpm/2000/200 foam