Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-Buff-4

Sheriff v. County Police?

15 posts in this topic

Well, what's the difference? I've seen the Sheriffs at the Parades, but the cars are the same as the County Police. What's their function, is it only the Civil Processes? I know in Long Island the Sheriffs do that, Courthouse Security, and the Jails. Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Well in Long Island I know that the Nassau County Sherriffs deal with like you said the Courthouse Facilities as well as Corrections. Every day you see a convoy of these vehicles leaving the couts in Hempstead in route to the Nassau County Correctional Center in East Meadow. The Nassau County Police Department is the primary response department for many of the smaller towns in Nassau. Some towns in Nassau have their own police departments (Hempstead Villiage, Garden City) but for other areas, they are the primary response agency. Nassau also has a very large Highway Patrol Division that patrols the Southern State, Northern State, Cross Island and LIE. Nassau County Police also handle most EMS calls within the area. The White and Orange Buses respond with 1 paramedic to most emergency calls. Sometimes a VAC from a local fire dept will also respond, but because of the higher training from NCPD, they will either transport or assist the BLS bus. The strange thing about the NCPD Ambulances is they only have 1 paramedic running the entire bus. No one else (EMT or Driver) is constantly on board. If they need to transport someone they will have either a Nassau Police Officer or a local town cop drive the bus. And if the call requires major ALS care, they will call for another bus with 1 more medic on it. Then a cop will drive both the bus with the patient and the 2 medics as well as the empty bus behind it. Its kinda weird and seems like a waste of money because on most car accidents you see multiple buses with not too many patients. Thats prob why nassau is sooo damn expensive to live in.

In Dutchess County, the Sheriff's Department serves as a County Police force (in other words, there's a Sheriff's Department and no County Police Department). The Sheriffs routinely patrol the county as a county force would, and the department also oversees the jail, civil matters, and I believe courthouse security.

In some areas of the county the Sheriffs (and/or New York State Police) provide primary police coverage. In towns/villages that already have their own local police departments, both the Sheriffs and New York State Police provide supplemental police patrols and resources (such as crime scene investigation, canine, etc.). Overall, the system works well.

Edited by emt301

From the Westchester County Website

"The Public Safety Emergency Force (PSEF) is an all volunteer, fully trained,

peace officer contingent of the Department of Public Safety. The PSEF, formerly

known as the Sheriff’s Emergency Force, has a proud history that dates back to

1918. During World War II, PSEF members assisted in guarding County office

buildings and the reservoir system properties throughout Westchester. In 1950,

the PSEF was reorganized from a wartime civil defense unit into a peacetime

emergency police reserve organization. Today its officers are sworn part-time

deputy sheriffs of the Department. The PSEF’s principle mission is to serve as

reserve manpower for the Department of Public Safety and provide assistance to

Westchester’s many municipalities and police agencies in responding to

emergencies or special events when crowd and/or traffic control is needed.

In 2005, the Public Safety Emergency Force was deployed over 60 times and

logged more than 3,000 man hours rendering assistance to local municipalities

throughout the County. The PSEF also worked a number of special assignments,

including several DWI check-points. Emergency Force members are required to

complete rigorous, state and county certified training programs. Each member

receives over 30 hours of in-service training in such areas as firearms proficiency,

Penal Law Article 35, use of shotgun, Vehicle & Traffic Law, traffic control, vehicle

stops, emergency vehicle operation, dignitary protection, in-service road patrol

training and terrorism indicators and reporting."

The "sheriffs" are the volunteer arm of the County. THey kept the name "sheriff" after the Parkway Police and Sheriff's Departments merged.

Westchester County Department of Public Safety

-Westchester County Police

-Westchester County Sheriff

-Public Safety Emergency Force

The Sheriff unit handles civil matters.

The Public Safety Emergency Force (PSEF) Deputy Sheriff's you see at local parades and events are Volunteers.

They are the Emergency Reserves. Similar to an Auxiliary Police.

They are Peace Officers and do carry Firearms.

More information can be found about them here:

http://www.westchestergov.com/ps/Site_Inde...F_Main_Page.htm

(as posted above)

Thanks all for the info and clarification. If I may, are the Civil Unit actually called "Deputy Sheriffs" or are they regular WCPD? That's the only thing that wasn't clear. But, now I get it! I kinda thought that that was Sheriffs were in Westchester.

This leads me to another question.... I saw the WCTLC.... Do they have their own officers or are those also WCPD Officers? Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Thanks all for the info and clarification. If I may, are the Civil Unit actually called "Deputy Sheriffs" or are they regular WCPD? That's the only thing that wasn't clear. But, now I get it! I kinda thought that that was Sheriffs were in Westchester.

This leads me to another question.... I saw the WCTLC.... Do they have their own officers or are those also WCPD Officers? Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

The Civil Unit is staffed with Police Officers and police supervisors from the County Police as is the TLC unit. Police officers are assigned there for enforecement operations and they are augmented by regular county police as necessary.

Thanks all! Check out my Brush and Forestry Album when you have a chance!

-Joe DA BUFF, who has an odd affinity for the term "Sheriff"

The Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for each county in NYS, and by statute has to take action whenever there is a breach of the peace observed. Even in NYC. In Westchester County, the DPS Commissioner is also the Sheriff.

Well in Long Island I know that the Nassau County Sherriffs deal with like you said the Courthouse Facilities as well as Corrections.  Every day you see a convoy of these vehicles leaving the couts in Hempstead in route to the Nassau County Correctional Center in East Meadow.  The Nassau County Police Department is the primary response department for many of the smaller towns in Nassau.  Some towns in Nassau have their own police departments (Hempstead Villiage, Garden City) but for other areas, they are the primary response agency.  Nassau also has a very large Highway Patrol Division that patrols the Southern State, Northern State, Cross Island and LIE. Nassau County Police also handle most EMS calls within the area.  The White and Orange Buses respond with 1 paramedic to most emergency calls.  Sometimes a VAC from a local fire dept will also respond, but because of the higher training from NCPD, they will either transport or assist the BLS bus.  The strange thing about the NCPD Ambulances is they only have 1 paramedic running the entire bus.  No one else (EMT or Driver) is constantly on board.  If they need to transport someone they will have either a Nassau Police Officer or a local town cop drive the bus.  And if the call requires major ALS care, they will call for another bus with 1 more medic on it.  Then a cop will drive both the bus with the patient and the 2 medics as well as the empty bus behind it.  Its kinda weird and seems like a waste of money because on most car accidents you see multiple buses with not too many patients.  Thats prob why nassau is sooo damn expensive to live in.

Nassau County Highway Patrol does not patrol the Southern State or the Northern State Parkways. All parkways with "State" in the name are patrolled by Troop L of the State Police.

Nassau County Highway Patrol does not patrol the Southern State or the Northern State Parkways. All parkways with "State" in the name are patrolled by Troop L of the State Police.

Except InterSTATE 495 - go figure!!! cool.gif

I have seen a NYC Sheriff. What is the deal with them in NYC?

In NYC they handle civil matters only. They are like repo men in the city. You as a plaintiff can have them execute a civil court order for you for a fee.

In NYC they handle civil matters only. They are like repo men in the city. You as a plaintiff can have them execute a civil court order for you for a fee.

However, they are empowered to handle any criminal matters that they may come across while performing their duties.

Except InterSTATE 495 - go figure!!!    cool.gif

what a wise guy!