Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

White Plain Hospital Breaks Ground For New ER

3 posts in this topic

Finally! This is much needed! I don't know where the ambulance bays will be based on the drawing I saw recently of the addition, do any WP*EMS/Transcare people know? Hopefully, it will be larger then the current bays and spaces.

Also, I heard that the decon facilities will be able to handle more then one person at a time without having to set up a big to-do.

White Plains Hospital ER expansion begins

By MELISSA KLEIN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 10, 2007)

WHITE PLAINS - A $9.5 million project to double the size of the crowded White Plains Hospital Center emergency department began today with a symbolic groundbreaking.

Jon Schandler, the hospital's president, along with Mayor Joseph Delfino and hospital officials held representative shovels to mark the start of construction.

The project will expand the size of the emergency department to 26,390 square feet and allow for the treatment of 60,000 patients a year. The emergency department treated nearly 45,500 patients last year and is the busiest in Westchester County.

The work is expected to be completed in early 2009. One lane of East Post Road in front of the hospital is to be closed during the construction period.

I know that I moved outta town before a few of the other Hospitals inthe area shut down, but I know that this ED isnt that old - is this expansion needed due to the closures of United and St. Agnes?

I'm sure that the closure of both Agnes and United had a large factor in the increased census seen by the ER in the past 2 years, but to be honest, it was getting crowded in there even before the two closed. I'm sure they would have been getting an expansion eventually, but the closures of the other hospitals/increased patient flow definatly helped to expedite that initiative.