Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester Fire Exam Study Guide

6 posts in this topic

So, I was digging through my files today and found this. It's dated 1999, and applicable to the Westchester County Fire Exam, which is ultimately developed and administered by the New York State Civil Service.

I've taken this test twice, and both times it was the same test, and this was the guide.

I don't know if NYS has switched to a new kind of test, but I highly doubt it. Nor do I know if they are giving out study guides with the confirmations or classes. Both I urge people to use and take.

I am providing this guide in .doc online format. Please use it to help study for the FF exam. Note I cannot guarentee this will be applicable to the upcoming exam, but it is still helpful.

If you use this guide, don't forget the donation link or site store, since this download sucks up bandwith. Also, if you pass along to friends, please mention our site, http://www.emtbravo.com

This guide was produced and distributed by NYS, and they hold all rights to the document.

*If this doesn't open for you, please let me know. If it does, please post that it does.

http://www.emtbravo.com/WCExamStudy.doc

I MAKE NO CLAIMS THAT THIS GUIDE WILL DO ANYTHING! (other then putting the NYS Guide in digital format to HELP you study)I am also not sure this is the guide for the current test. This was published by NYS Civil Service to prepare canidates for the exam, and I scanned it to share it with members of EMTBravo

**IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS EXAM, FEEL FREE TO POST AND ASK...MANY ON THIS FORUM HAVE TAKEN THE TEST AND SUCEEDED!(and a little luck)**

**IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS EXAM, FEEL FREE TO POST AND ASK...MANY ON THIS FORUM HAVE TAKEN THE TEST AND SUCEEDED!(and a little luck)**

This will be my first time taking the exam. Not that I need it (I know how to do basic math [+,-,X, & divide] on paper, but it would just be nice and yes, I know I will not always have one handy one day on a fire scene but....Are you alowed to use a calculator on the exam?

Thank You

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Talk about thread killers lol. Anyone know? (My post above)

Thank You

I believe you are allowed to use a calculator (a PLAIN calculator, no PDA calculator, graphing calculator, or calculator with any type of memory), but I am not 100% postive, so check you exam announcement.

From the county recruiting brochue, here is the subject of the examination. If you're not good at one of these areas, I highly suggest you brush up, get some tutoring or help if you really want the job....you have two weeks, remember, the higher your score on this test, the better your chances of getting this dream job.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY FIREFIGHTER TRAINING YOU HAVE MAY NOT BE OF ANY HELP ON THIS EXAM! DO NOT RELY ON THAT!

So, Subject Of Examination:

-Understanding and interpeting written materials

-Solving problems with numbers

-Reasoning clearly and selecting the proper courses of action in firefighting situations

-Mechanical reasoning, mechanical principles and devices, hand tools, reading dials and guages

-Understanding and interpeting graphs, charts, tables, and diagrams and following written instructions.

After you walk out that door from taking the test, start a fitness program that includes both strength and endurance. I'm not sure, but it was rumored that CPAT will replace the current county agility exam. It could be a couple of years away, but bringing your fitness up now will definelty help when it is time to start preparing for the CPAT.

The test is ONE WEEK from tommorow!

Hope everyone who truly wants the job is taking the time to prepare, practice and study! It IS NOT as straightfoward and easy as you may think.