Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dispatcher418

Daytimers

15 posts in this topic

Recently in a local starbucks, i was talking to a member of East Fishkill FD. i was told that they had a "daytimers" program that allowed members of other FDs to join and respond to calls in their district while being a member of another department. this sparked a few questions.

1. i thought there was a universal rule that you could only be an active member of one department.

2. How do you receive OSHA hours form two departments? is it possible? do you only recieve them from one department?

3. how are you covered insurance wise?

4. Do any other departments aside from East Fishkill FD have this program? dry.gif

A way to solve manpower issues...great idea...just maybe you should be a member of the Dutchess County Vol Fire Assoc...and then have a company assignment and be able to respond to calls anywhere they need manpower...just an idea to go along with daytimers!

This type of response is covered by Section 209 New York State General Municipal Law.

These firefighters do not become members of the department that they are assisting, rather they respond under a mutual aid type scenario.

Our Village Board passed a resolution acknowledging such participation and indicating insurance coverage for such firefighters.

We also require a copy of the firefighter's credentials and a letter from his/her chief approving this participation.

Currently, we have one such firefighter and one of our members responds with another department during the day, as well.

It is definitely a win/win situation for all departments, who experience daytime manpower shortages, and who doesn't.

I hope this helps answer your question.

I think the three Trumbull, CT fire districts have something like that still where you can join if you live or work in the town.

As a firefighter in the State of New York, if you come upon a fire scene, identify yourself to the officer in charge as a firefighter and offer your assistance, that officer can accept that assistance and you are covered by the jurisdiction's insurance and worker's comp.

Connectictut has two laws that cover situations like this. I don't remember the statute numbers off hand so these are not exact quotes but here are the basics.

One law says that if you are a member of one department and you are avalible to respond between 8am & 5pm in another district where you work, you can not be barred from membership solely due to your membership in another department. The daytime department doesn't have to take you but they can't use a no dual membership rule as the reason.

Another law says that if you are a member of a department and you arrive on scene, you can identify yourself to the IC, ask if he needs help. If he says yes, you are covered by your home departments insurance while working at that scene.

BFD182, your right on the money. In CT you can volunteer for mutli depts. In the north part of fairfield county , you find this as almost a common thing.

My dept now has at least 6 or 7 that are active in two or more comapnies. As long as they abide by the rules and regs it isnt a problem. I myself was one of those volunteering in bethel and dodgingtown.

we tend to discourage being active in mutli co's in your hometown because of the LOSAP and other bennies the town gives, such as a tax abatement. It gets real bad for the pension committee to follow.

What if you are from a volunteer dept from another state? Live in NY and work in CT.

Here in Cobleskill we do that for the college students in SUNY. They provide a letter from their home chief and their training records and they can respond with our dept. while theyre here at school, and they are covered under the mutual aid plan. We get 4-5 realy GOOD members from this program every semester. This past semester we had two realy dedicated members who showed up to ALL of our calls!!

Its a great program for those of us who lack day-time people.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... Some folks older than I may be able to opine on this...

I think the State Law doesn't prohibit members from joining two departments, but rather from participating in more than one benevolant association and being elegible for two sets of benefits.

When I was joining the Gettysburg FD in 1996, there were a bunch of folks in Millwood who said "you can't do that, you'll have to become a social member in Millwood before you join in G-Burg..."

In the end, I was able to join G-Burg, be a fully active member, and be covered by their insurance.... I just couldn't recieve any future benefit other than medical care for an injury sustained while operating at a GFD alarm.

Town Law §176-b contains provisions relative to volunteer members of fire district fire companies. Subdivision 10 of section 176-b provides that a person "shall not be eligible" for volunteer membership in more than one fire company at one time (see also Village Law §10-1006[10]; General City Law §11-a[10]; Not-for-Profit-Corporation Law §1402[c]).

I believe this was in effect prior to the benevolent systems.

Hope this helps

as far as I know, these college students arent "Joining" the dept., just simply being "called" Mutual Aid. Their chiefs give them permission and their home dept benefits cover them, they recieve no additional benefits. (Other than an invite to the annual banquet) wink.gif

We have an archaic bylaw that does not allow dual memberships, however this was written back when the only issue was joining two departments in the same city. It did not take into consideration people living or working in other cities. Of course the state law would override any specific departmental rules. I can not understand why any department would not want to accept a trained member, as long as the same basics are followed, like probationary periods, and internal training.

As a firefighter in the State of New York, if you come upon a fire scene, identify yourself to the officer in charge as a firefighter and offer your assistance, that officer can accept that assistance and you are covered by the jurisdiction's insurance and worker's comp.

This is true however the law allows for a pre-arranged agreement for mutual aid members.

Check NYS General Municipal Law 209-i for reference to both arriving and assisting and "day timers".

As stated, there is a provision in Town law that specifically prohibits being a volunteer member to more than one company.

This is not allowed intra state unless there is a specific agreement between those intra state departments.