Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdny2003

TransCare ALS-White Plains EMS?

17 posts in this topic

I was at Best Buy on Monday, and noticed an ambulance pulling up...at first I only saw TransCare Advanced Life Support and thought thats all it was...but then underneath that it says White Plains EMS. I though White Plains had MetroCare, does anyone have any info about this?

post-903-1179949131.jpg

TransCare= MetroCare/Metro North/United/Abbey Richmond Ambulances

The name change occured in 2004, I believe

ok...that makes sense...im not used to seeing TransCare with White Plains EMS, im used to MetroCare

Actually before the bus was painted to resemble transcare's logo, I believe it said Abbey Richmond. I don't ever remember any of the buses saying metrocare...although Abbey was purchased at one point by the Metropolitan Ambulance group which merged with transcare (when they were a shade of green) making the conglomerate MetroCare. Although the Abbey bus' paint scheme did resemble MetroCare's and the EMS providers did wear MetroCare shirts and such...that should be the story.

Abbey sold to Transcare. Which later turned to MetroCare when it merged with metropolitan and Metro North. The buse posted up top, NEVER had ABBEY on it. It's a new bus, purchased when the contract was renewed. MetroCare doesn't exist.

Abbey sold to Transcare. Which later turned to MetroCare when it merged with metropolitan and Metro North. The buse posted up top, NEVER had ABBEY on it. It's a new bus, purchased when the contract was renewed. MetroCare doesn't exist.

Not talking about the bus pictured...just in general...I never saw a bus with MetroCare written upon it!

This is the way I remember it:

When Transcare bought Abbey Richmond the Abbey rigs were not repainted. The two White Plains Ambulances remained 406 (Mobile 1) and 407 (Mobile 2).

When the merger with Metropolitan occuered two new 1999 vans were sent to White Plains. Nos. 905 and 935. They were painted with the Metrocare colors but said "Abbey Richmond" on the sides. "MetroCare" was writen in small letters on the rear quarter panels.

I think those were the last ambulances to say "Abbey Richmond". All the remaining Abbey rigs were repainted to say "MetroCare".

Rumor had it that the reason they remained labeled as Abbey Richmond instead of being labeled as Transcare (up until recently) was a requirement of the contract with the city. Please correct if this is inaccurate.

Rumor had it that the reason they remained labeled as Abbey Richmond instead of being labeled as Transcare (up until recently) was a requirement of the contract with the city. Please correct if this is inaccurate.

I think part of it is just tradition, too. Dispatchers still to this day call the "Abbey Supervisor" on the radio. Old habits and traditions die hard!

How many WPEMS people still call Shnurmacher NH, "Tibbets". smile.gif

Speaking of WPEMS, gratz to my fellow medic classmate Joe Salhab on being awarded ALS Provider of the Year at last night's EMS awards dinner.

That was my recollection as well WAS.

IMHO a contrated EMS response [of any kind] should prodominantly say the jurisdiction and level of care/unit designation/etc NOT the company who owns the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to advertise. I'd just like it to be a bit more subtle.

It always annoys me when I'm referred to based upon the agency that I work for rather than perhaps my job title or [god forbid] my name

That was my recollection as well WAS.

IMHO a contrated EMS response [of any kind] should prodominantly say the jurisdiction and level of care/unit designation/etc NOT the company who owns the vehicle.  Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to advertise.  I'd just like it to be a bit more subtle.

It always annoys me when I'm referred to based upon the agency that I work for rather than perhaps my job title or [god forbid] my name

NYS DOH regulations state that the EMS provider's name must be the most prominently displayed text on the ambulance.

NYS DOH regulations state that the EMS provider's name must be the most prominently displayed text on the ambulance.

You sure about that? I know the name of the agency needs to appear on three sides of the vehicles, but I do not recall a requirement that it be the most predominant name on the vehicle. On the WEMS ambulances, the names of the hospitals take up far more real estate than the name of the company.

Here's NYS 800.21e

(An ambulance shall:)

display on the exterior of both sides and the back of all ambulance and emergency ambulance service vehicles the name of the service in letters not less than 3 inches in height and clearly legible. The logo provided by the department shall also be displayed on both sides and the back of every ambulance and shall be removed upon sale or transfer of the vehicle;

I don't recall any other marking requirements, specifically regarding proportions. I do recall that if the ambulance is run by company for someone else (i.e TransCare operates White Plains EMS), that relationship has to be clearly dispayed on the ambulance.

LOOKING Down and shaking my head...........

Isn't this about the 9th time that this little tid bit of redundant Q&A has come up in the last 3 years?

"This is the topic that doesn't end, yes it goes on and on my friend...."