Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Metro North FL-9 in Norwalk

17 posts in this topic

While out on my walk this morning I heard a train whistle I havent heard in a while. At the Catherine St. crossing I took this photo of a Fl-9 locomotive #2014 pulling some passenger cars on the Danbury Line. I.m happy to get this photo, because they are being replaced with P-40's that were acquired from Amtrack.

post-1379-1180014972.jpg

Edited by car11

Awesome! Thanks for the photo!

It's really amazing that with how old these locomotives are, they still see frequent passenger and work service on MNRR.

They are a common sight along the Waterbury line. I'll have to check the number on the engine that comes up this way if it is the same on in the picture, the FL-9s are usually based in New Haven if memory serves me correctly.

Edited by IzzyEng4

They are a common sight along the Waterbury line.  I'll have to check the number on the engine that comes up this way if it is the same on in the picture, the FL-9s are usually based in New Haven if memory serves me correctly.

I have not seen one on the Danbury line for about a month. I used to see a few at the Stamford yard, but not lately. I'm glad they are still around, but take a picture because they are approaching 50 years old. I saw a FL-9 pulling some repainted VRE passenger cars on the main line in South Norwalk once . I wish I captured that.

Here's an FL9 I caught sitting in the Harmon Yard last fall. (Photo by me, x635 http://www.x635Photos.com )

[attachmentid=2794]

post-11-1180048750.jpg

If my eyes serve me right, that is a F unit, not a FL9. In the rear there are only 2 set of axles which makes it a F unit. Any F or FL9 pictures are great especially the New Haven scheme. Keep them coming guys . An old New York Central fan.

If my eyes serve me right, that is a F unit, not a FL9. In the rear there are only 2 set of axles which makes it a F unit. Any F or FL9 pictures are great especially the New Haven scheme. Keep them coming guys . An old New York Central fan.

You know, I still got my grandfather's old NY Central pins and watch. Great keep sakes.

That's an excellent shot! Minor correction, it is an F-10. 1500hp and no dual-mode capability.

That unit is still in limited passenger service and it is the last F-10 in regular service. It is also the OLDEST diesel in revenue service on a NON-tourist railroad.

I believe it began service in 1953.

Also, one correction for Car11:

The FL-9s and F-10 are being used in conjunction with the P-40s. The P-40's are leased and will go back to Amtrak later this year when a new fleet of 11 Brookfield locomotives arrive. That will be the final nail in the FL-9 coffin as well. Too bad, but some have found their way into preservation.

Thanks for the info lfdR1. I saw that F-10 before up here. I was in the Sono Switch Tower Museam when it went by. I didn't realize it was that old. I also saw it on the New Canaan branch plowing snow after the blizzard a few years ago. I hope the new locomotivies look as good as these old ones. I hope all those old locomotives find their way to a nice museam somewhere and not the scrap yard.

I think Danbury Rail Museum has a couple of them, including one in New York Central Colors.

I wish that Metro North could incorporate a museum into their new Harmon Shop Complex. That way, they could take the history of a great and interesting railroad and preserve it. It would be a great place for some of the old FL-9's/FL-10's to go when they finally retire, as well as the M-1's. I'm sure that a few of the Metro North retirees would be more then happy to staff it.

If not, I hope the FL 9's/10's in all color schemes go to Danbury Rail Museum. BTW, worth it to join as a member if you're a FRN like myself. It's a great place, and can use all the support it can get. If you haven't been, put it on your list for this summer....if you go on a slow weekday, you can have some time to explore some awesome old railcars and locomotives.

Here's the roster of equipment they have:

http://www.danbury.org/drm/roster.htm

Also, click here for a video clip of my favorite car they have (an ex-NH Budd RDC)

http://www.ww-media.com/drm/video_121204_002.asf

I was at the Danbury Rail Museam last summer. I think it is one of the nicest collections I've seen. I.m going again but this time by rail. I think it is neet that you can get there by train. I like the video of the Budd RDC. I like the way that they work with those Detroit Diesel engines. I've been thinking about joining DRM. Its so easy to get to. This summer I would like to go to NYC Transit museam in Brooklyn. And of course a ride on the Essex Steam Train.

There are three F10's left in MNRR fleet.

Built between Dec 1946 and June 1947.

Rebuilt in 1979

New Haven FL9

The 1,800-hp Fl9 was built at the request of the New York, New Haven& Hartford. The railroad wanted adiesle locomotive that could also be underground in third- rail electrified territory into Grand Central Station. The FL-9 had a third- rail pickup shoe mounted on each side of its six-wheel Flexicoil rear trucks, which were unique to this model. Sixtywere built;30 1,750-hp units in 1957 and 30 locomotives from September through November 1960. These were the last F units built.

There are three F10's left in MNRR fleet.

Built between Dec 1946 and June 1947.

Rebuilt in 1979

Wow its amazing how long these have been in service. It says something about how well they are built, and how well they were maintained. Good job!

Just as a side note, at the Naugatuck (where I'm volunteering), they are working on getting the two FL9's that are ex-CDOT units up and running. Soon enough (I heard a couple of weeks) you can ride behind them on the old Winsted Line. There's just something about an FL-9 that can't be put in words:) Also, this past week had an FL-( leading a P40 on the Waterbury train due to a horn problem with the P40. i have heard the two woere since taken off the train, but an odd sight seeing a 50+ year old engine MU'ed with a P40!

fl-9 are true classis

fl-9 are true classis

I agree. I'm still seeing them on the Danbury Line.