Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suicide prevention phones coming to TZ Bridge soon

13 posts in this topic

Suicide prevention phones coming to Tappan Zee soon

By KEN VALENTI

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 24, 2007)

Suicide hotline phones will be installed on the Tappan Zee Bridge within three months and on the Bear Mountain Bridge by the end of this week, state officials said yesterday.

But the New York State Thruway Authority, which operates the Tappan Zee, continued to resist the idea of placing physical barriers along the entire span. Ramesh Mehta, the Hudson Valley division director of the agency, said the barriers would make inspecting and maintaining the bridge difficult.

Several recent suicides and attempted suicides from Hudson Valley bridges have renewed discussion on suicide prevention measures. Mehta said the agency decided to install phones connecting to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline network after hearing that dozens of potential suicide victims had used similar phones on the Mid-Hudson Bridge to call for help since they were installed in 1984.

"We heard of that success story and we thought that we would also implement that on the Tappan Zee Bridge," Mehta said yesterday during a visit to the RNN-TV studio in Rye Brook to discuss the matter. The four phones on the Tappan Zee will be inexpensive, costing $35,000 to install and some $12 per month to maintain, he said.

Last week, the state Bridge Authority, which operates the Mid-Hudson Bridge and four others, installed similar phones on the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, where two people jumped in late December.

Those phones came after RNN pressed the Bridge Authority continually with questions about suicide prevention measures, even visiting the home of a member of the authority's board of commissioners.

John Bellucci, director of planning and public relations for the Bridge Authority, said the phones were installed not because of pressure from RNN but as part of a suicide prevention plan drawn up after the two people jumped from the bridge.

Phones are expected to be installed on the Bear Mountain Bridge this week and on the agency's two others by early summer, Bellucci said.

Since the phones were installed on the Mid-Hudson Bridge, 74 people have called the hotline and seven people have died jumping from the bridge, according to a report on suicide prevention produced by the Bridge Authority as part of the plan. Bellucci said the phones there were difficult to replicate on other bridges with the technology available at the time. They are essentially radios with a line-of-sight microwave link to an antenna connected to the Dutchess County Office of Mental Hygiene hotline.

The new phones will connect to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, launched in December, 2004, Bellucci said.

Mehta said the Thruway Authority had discussed suicide prevention over the years as 29 people died after leaping from the span over the past decade.

But their discussions have focused on physical barriers. Some relatives of suicide victims favor the barriers, which have been used elsewhere. But officials have decided against them because of the cost and because they make it hard to work on the bridge. Fences were constructed around beams that people might scale after someone climbed to the top of the bridge in 2003. Those barriers have made maintenance more difficult, Mehta said.

Bellucci said the phones are a better idea because they can get people the human contact they need. "Fences don't get people help," he said. "People can climb out on a fence."

Suicide Prevention phones...why don't they put one on everyblock like the old fire call boxes. I think just emergency phone would be a better name...like if your car breaks down on the bridge, that could be your "lifeline" to assistance. I have a feeling that if someone intends to JUMP, they will jump, not- that they may pick up the phone and say, "Hey, I am out on the span 'bout a 1/4 mile and I want to jump. Can you convince me not to." Don't you think most people have planned suicide for a while and are ready to jump once they get out there? Just seems like a reactive idea that will not prevent anything...but they can say...the Phones are there for people to use!

I agree, I think the phones are for the most part, useless. When someone decides to drive up onto that span, most likely their decision has already been made, and it takes only seconds to carry out.

Although it has drawbacks, and has been debated on this forum before, I think the only true way to stop jumpers is barrier fences, that are lightweight, easy to remove for bridge maintainence, and it has been done on multiple other bridges, such as the Golden Gate Bridge.

How about just a rope ladder on each side? Do you really think that someone ready to jump off the bridge is going to call someone on the phone? Cell phones are quicker.

The New Paltz Oracle

Volume 75 Issue 8

Thursday, November 6, 2003

College Students Affected by Suicide

By Sarah Ward, Senior Copy Editor

Almost two months and three deaths are what the students at New York University are facing as finals approach. The first death of 20-year-old student John Skolnik, a junior from Evanston, Ill., has been declared a suicide. The cases of the other two students, Stephen Bohler, an 18-year-old freshman from Ohio and Michelle Gluckman, a 19-year-old student in the School of Continuing Studies, are still technically open.

In an area surrounded by colleges, the Hudson Valley area has looked at possible ways to prevent suicide, college suicides in particular.

"Adolescence is a period of experimentation and adjustment for many young people, but this is also the age when we shed our childhood supports while assuming adult responsibilities," said Alan Lipschitz, M.D.

According to studies, college students do not commit suicide any more often than other young adults, but suicide is the second leading cause of death among them, accident being the first. Lipschitz finds that the elevation in suicide rate between American and British schools is a "striking" find.

The groups that are most affected by depression and suicide are those who take more than four years to finish their degrees, probably because their studies were interrupted with depression. While most young adults who commit suicide are those who have high risk-taking personalities and often abuse drugs, college students who commit suicide tend to be the opposite, being quiet, reserved and socially isolated said Lipschitz.

"The students who move beyond depression into suicide possess an additional attraction to death itself, which is seen as a soothing comfort and as a device for cementing a union with approving parents," said Lipschitz.

"Many suicidal students experience anxiety, insomnia and other symptoms, though these may disappear shortly before the suicidal act, as the plan to commit suicide provides a seeming solution to their psychic pain," he said. He has also found that nearly half of suicidal students seek some sort of medical treatment before committing suicide.

In the past 18 years, a phone has rung 51 times in the offices of the Dutchess County help-line from the Mid Hudson Bridge. The callers have each taken the initiative to call after seeing a sign that reads: ''Desperate? 'Life is worth living! Call Helpline.''

Fifty of the 51 did not jump.

At the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, there is no phone. Since 1996, six people have jumped, compared to the two that have jumped from the Mid Hudson. The Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge also has significantly less traffic. The Newburgh-Kingston Bridge, with no phones, also has had three jumpers since 1996. This bridge has three times the amount of traffic as the Mid Hudson.

Mental health officials, police and others have suggested the bridge's lower traffic volume, relative isolation and, most of all, open-deck design might play a role in the increased amount of suicides.

SUNY New Paltz offers two resources for students who are depressed and possibly contemplating suicide. The first is the student run organization Oasis, and the second is the Counseling Center.

The Psychological Counseling Center statistics indicate that of those students who come to the center for therapy, approximately 12 percent are thinking about suicide according to Pam Atkins.

For everyone that comes into the center, they are given a suicide assessment.

"This assessment allows us to work with those students who are thinking about suicide," said Atkins. "By making suicide prevention a part of the counseling session, in such a way that talking about suicide, suicidal plans and the problem or problems that are causing them to think about killing themselves, we can then help students find a solution to the problem leading them to be suicidal."

According to Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, there are signs to look for in case you're worried about someone. Verbal clues such as "I shouldn't be here" or "I wish I would disappear forever." Behavioral clues such as talking or joking about suicide, preoccupation with death/violence or having several accidents resulting in injury are also signs.

"What is important is to educate yourself and to be aware of possible patterns and clues that indicate a student may be thinking about suicide," said Atkins. "If you see these signs, then talk to your friend directly about your concern that they may be thinking about suicide and help them get to a professional for help. These clues may include the following: talking about suicide, having a plan about how they might kill themselves, saving up pills or buying a gun, rope, or other means of suicide, a history of a previous actual suicide attempt, a family member that attempted suicide, and use of alcohol and or drugs."

"Depression, like other psychological problems, is closely related to suicide so if students are also down, blue, sad, crying, not sleeping, not eating, fatigued, have lost motivation and concentration, make drastic changes in their appearance or life style and begin giving away personal items. Be concerned, tell them what you observe that makes you concerned and get them to a professional," she continued.

The SUNY New Paltz campus offers many options to combat depression. Lipschitz believes that automatic medical leaves are not the answer to the problem and, if anything, could possibly create a worse situation.

The Center trains every Resident Assistant and Resident Director about the issues of suicide prevention among college students. They also present issues of suicide prevention in orientation, in the freshman course titled Social Issues and College Life, in the learning community of the First Year Initiative and to faculty.

Suicide Line: "Hello, Suicide line"

Jumper: Hello, "I am going to jump" (long pause) SPLASH!

Suicide Line: "Hello, Are you there"

Sorry, I just had too. rolleyes.gif

I think anything that can be done to prevent Suicide, it should be done. If it saves even only one life, its worth it. I'm glad someone thought of this.

anyone in the frame of mind that they are thinking of jumping off a bridge is not gonna pick up some phone to talk to someone about why they are wrong with what they are doing. "Oh I can't jump, I have to pick up this phone first because it is conveniently located where i wish to end my life." come on. Great idea government.......

Putting a phone on the TZB would just create more havoc. I could see some wise asses stopping and playing a prank. That in turn would send out Emergency Crews and that would keep me in traffic on the bridge.

Someone that wants to jump is going to jump. I don't think they are going to stop at the phone and call somebody. Just my OPINION.

SUICIDE is for COWARDS. I don't care how many problems you have. If you take your own life you are SELFISH A**HOLE.

suicide is for cop-outs who are looking for the easy wasy out. Life is not susposed to be all peachy and rosey. the bumps you hit in life are what gives you character and in the end thats what makes you human.

sr71

Edited by sr71

suicide is for cop-outs who are looking for the easy wasy out.  Life is not susposed to be all peachy and rosey.  the bumps you hit in life are what gives you character and in the end thats what makes you human.

sr71

Suicide is the result of depression, and mental illness, and sometimes drug use. It's not a "cop-out", more the severe ramifications of a serious disease.

I agree with putting in the phone after reading the above article, annd hope it will help.

As being one of the response departments to the TZ for jumpers, I think its a good idea, it cant hurt. If it helps one person from jumping it paid for it self right there. If it keeps them form jumping keep in mind it keeps our fellow brothers and sisters out of the water and safe, it helps all around.

Edited by calhobs

If, hypothetically, the suicide phones on the TZB aren't working and someone tries to use it in hopes of being talked out of jumping.......can the family sue if they jump?!

Hmmmmm............

I think too, like others have said, if people want to go they go. Those that call probably don't want to die, they just want help.

And lastly, if they walk on to the bridge to use the phone, do they pay the toll?