Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Storz couplings on hydrants

16 posts in this topic

I was at the Stop & Shop Supermarket in North White Plains last week when I noticed in the parking lot both hydrants are preconnected with a LDH Storz coupling. Does anyone know if this was done by the property owner, or is North Castle Water District starting this? I have seen some districts on Long Island where all of the hydrants have this feature.

We have them in our hydrant bags and use them now instead of the steamer. As far as putting them on as a permanent fixture, are they welded or just attached? Id be concerned someone would take it and leave us in s^&$# creek without a paddle.

We have them in our hydrant bags and use them now instead of the steamer.  As far as putting them on as a permanent fixture, are they welded or just attached?  Id be concerned someone would take it and leave us in s^&$# creek without a paddle.

There is a two piece adapter made with set screws on the part that attaches to the hydrant which at least makes the vandals have to get some tools, and then the FD wrench is needed for the cap, some departments i know are getting monies throught their town/village water departments and installing them on all of their hydrants.

Many manufacturers are making hydrants with storz connections. The north east is a little slower to the game, but Washington State has been heading towards all storz hydrants and I've heard about counties here and there that are pushing for it. The biggest reason...mutual aid.

SUNY Purchase and PEPSICO currently have STORZ connections on the steamers. Westchester County Airport is currently in the process of changing over to STORZ. Currently three different connections exist on the property due to the districts that are in it (Purchase, Armonk, Port Chester/Rye Brook).

I was at the Stop & Shop Supermarket in North White Plains last week when I noticed in the parking lot both hydrants are preconnected with a LDH Storz coupling.

I noticed the same thing several months ago, and took a photo of such. I meant to bring it up as a topic too since I was curious as well.

[attachmentid=2816]

post-11-1180363900.jpg

Party...what isn't the northeast fire service usually slow with brotha? lol.

I know the municipality I work in was looking into these as well. Hope they get them soon, it simplifies making the hydrant and now you don't have to try to attach an additional LDH Hydrant gate to the steamer by yourself as most walk (or even worse run) right by you.

With the decreased fire load the North East is looking at a Colonial Williamsburgh type approach to firefighting. We're bringin back the horses!!!!!!

Years ago a proposal was made to change FDNY over to large diameter supply and storz hydrants all at once. I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by partyrock

well accually we have 3 in our district but they are all located in the stop and shop parking lot as far as who put them on we did, but i agree we should put more storz connections on hydrants

With the decreased fire load the North East is looking at a Colonial Williamsburgh type approach to firefighting.  We're bringin back the horses!!!!!!

Years ago a proposal was made to change FDNY over to large diameter supply and storz hydrants all at once.  I'm not holding my breath.

Hasn't the fire load increased??

Speaking strictly firematic; no ems, mva's, rescues, etc... the numbers are there but thats due to afa's, co detectors, and alot of fires that are caught much earlier in their development thanks to sprinkler systems and portable extinguishers. The actual number of working fires is no where like it was 15, 20, or 30 years ago. I'm not just talking about here in NYC, its everywhere. Just ask some of the dinosaurs in your house.

So can we assume that they will all be 5 inch Storz? - That they won't put 4 inch Storz on old 4 inch hydrants in old towns and villages that still have them? dry.gif

Peter: I would imagine that would be a coordination thing. If you carry 5", unless your going to carry adapters I would imagine they would ask about that.

So can we assume that they will all be 5 inch Storz?  - That they won't put 4 inch Storz on old 4 inch hydrants in old towns and villages that still have them? dry.gif

They are available in other sizes to match your LDH...

Driving into Westchester County Airport this afternoon, noticed that most (not all) of the hydrants along Airport Road had Storz adapters installed on them.

Edited by SteveOFD