Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Giant New Seagrave Rescue-Bellmawr Fire Co. NJ

10 posts in this topic

Sharp looking rig

HOWEVER, I hope they do 10 extrications, 4 fires and 2 tech. rescues a day to justify that thing......

That has to have cost close to 1 Million. According to their website, they only do 497 calls or so a year (only 98 being rescue/ems), averaging about 30 - 40 a month. Seems like a little overkill to me :|

That has to have cost close to 1 Million. According to their website, they only do 497 calls or so a year (only 98 being rescue/ems), averaging about 30 - 40 a month.  Seems like a little overkill to me :|

You have got to be sh!tting me. 500 a month and it'd be tough to use that whole rig. Why not a take a few hundred k and spend it on the membership? Does everyone have new top notch equipment? Whats the training budget look like? There are so many ways to spend that kind of money. This stuff kills me.

Edited by partyrock

This is another rig that I had a chance to check out on my trip to Seagrave in April. It was close to completion when I saw it, and one thing I like about it is the diamond plate steps in the rear that take you to the top to access the massive "coffin compartments." I'm a big Seagrave and heavy rescue fan so I'll let it slide for not being red.

Edited by JBJ1202

man that thing is a beast... nice looking rig but if they dont run that many calls why bother going with a monster

Well, with a call volume such as that, hopefully they'll get more than 20 years of service out of it.

true never really thought about that

The point isn't to spec your equipment by the number of calls that you run, but rather what the needs of your 1st due are.

If you cover a ton of interstate highway that is heavily traveled by trucks and a high volume of cars.... AND the next due Heavy Squad & Hazmat are a great distance away or have a difficult time accessing your territory, then who is to say that the equipement isn't justified regardless of the number of calls.

Do departments with 9000gal tractor drawn tankers have to justify the equipment by running them on 1000 calls per year, or is the equipment justified by the fact that there is a fire risk combined with a lack of static watersources, hydrants, and mutual aid?

It would be unjustified if similar equipment is available nearby within a reasonable response range and this department just decided to create a monster for the sake of having it (think Tower Ladders and Cascades in Westchester)