Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

White Plains FD Volunteer Division!?!?

18 posts in this topic

i saw this pic on seth's "random pics" site for wpfd. if you notice on the door of the engine or ladder it says "city of wpfd, ny volunteer division!!" is this a rig that's in service or one of there retired rigs?

does anyone know about this "vollie division?" if it's still active? where are the rigs stored or do they share a house? how many vollies do they have? ...any other info about this division would be appreciated.

any wpfd guys reading this, don't worry i'm not interested even if it is active! i know they paid and vollies don't work well together. i was just shocked to see this on a wpfd rig.

thanks in advance for the info!!

Seth's "Random Pics" WPFD

I'm not sure if they're even still around, but they were a social organization that showed for parades and other events.

When I taught the refresher class over at WPFD station 5? (the one on lex) for the WPPD ESU guys there was a lot of stuff in house in the meeting room for the WFPD Volunteer division. It appeared they had somewhat regular meetings and whatnot. Last call I ever heard of them going on was the tanker explosion on I-287 back in the 90s.

Here is the proper link: http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=13

Edited by WAS967

City of White Plains just like City of Yonkers and City of Mount Vernon

were at one time Volunteer, along with FDNY.

City of White Plains just like City of Yonkers and City of Mount Vernon

were at one time Volunteer, along with FDNY.

that i knew, i just didn't realize they were still around in white plains. just like i believe there is one vac in the bronx, right?

When I taught the refresher class over at WPFD station 5? (the one on lex) for the WPPD ESU guys there was a lot of stuff in house in the meeting room for the WFPD Volunteer division. It appeared they had somewhat regular meetings and whatnot. Last call I ever heard of them going on was the tanker explosion on I-287 back in the 90s.

Here is the proper link: http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=13

thanks for gettin the link and the info!

This topic was covered a couple of years ago on this forum. Through a search, I found these answers:

there are several companies still on the books in White Plains:

UNION HOOK AND LADDER CO. NO. #1

FIRE PATROL CO. NO. #1

HOPE ENGINE CO. NO.#1

INDEPENDENT ENGINE CO. NO. #2 (DISBANDED)

EASTSIDE ENGINE CO. NO. #3

SOUTHSIDE ENGINE CO. NO. #4

CHATTERTON ENGINE CO. NO. #5

these companies have not actively responded to calls in years, as someone accurately states they were at the propane truck explosion back in l993, (date may be incorrect). They have trained over the years to keep there 2% status. Last year the majority of the merbership have been trained as "CERT" responders. The Robertson Ave. Firehouse was closed in approx. l969. The rig that they use for mainly parade purposes is a l969 Maxim, EX. Engine 68 and now Engine #210 the engine was rebuilt by Ward 79 in the late l980's mainly recieving a new hose body and painted cab. Several of the companies meet at Sta. #5 others meet at: Hope at sta. #2, Eastside at sta.#3 Southside at Sta. #4 they all have there own meeting rooms. 

Lieut2 is almost 100% correct; the only discrepancies are the dates. I must add that the White Plains Volunteers are mainly a social Group (Company Meetings although I haven’t seen a volunteer in the firehouses in years Christmas parties, cookouts, and Bus trips to foxwood). In the past career officers taught any training that took place, Basic OSHA training and there were only a very few members that actually participated.

Last year they were CERT certified by Department of Public Safety Personnel (Police and Fire) and most volunteers are not firefighter I or II certified, at last count there are only two or three members that are actually certified to even drive their engine. Although it does have a brand new paint job.

The majority of their membership are approaching senior citizen status or already there 

thanks seth!!

awesome lookin rig. thanks again seth!!

that i knew, i just didn't realize they were still around in white plains.  just like i believe there is one vac in the bronx, right?

Edgewater Park VFD is still operating. Aviation in Soundview was the other. I believe they received a new truck after their old one was crushed at Ground Zero but I believe thier house was condemned.

Edited by OLMmedic

FDNYTrucks.com has pictures of the Volunteer Company's apparatus. The bottom ten links on this page are the Volunteer Company's. Some of the Companies have websites, just do a search and they should be listed. Edited by SteveOFD

The only VAC in the Bronx I know of is Throggs Neck VAC. They are quartered right next to E-72. I was a member there briefly, and if my memory is correct, they had a pretty decent sized membership.

Edgewater Park is still active. Aviation got a few new rigs after the 11th. I don't know where they are hanging their helmets since they were vacated out of the old firehouse a few years ago.

You can see a few aviation vehicles on a construction site down at the end of soundview av. At this time I don't believe they have a building.

Fordham has an student run EMS, there's a riverdale vac that I believe is connected with hatzola, and Manhattanville had an EMS at some point.

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but does anyone know if WPVFD actively recruits?

Edited by AndrewT

Andrew, If you looking to become a firefighter in a active volunteer fire department, depending on where you live in white plains, you may want to check out other departments in the surrounding communities such as West Harrsion, Fairview, Purchase, or North White Plains. These are departments where you can train and take an active role in operations. I don't think that will happen in White Plains , Volunteer Division. Hope this info helps and Good luck!

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but does anyone know if WPVFD actively recruits?

Not sure about recruiting but i know White Plains is not active. They do special events and training.

If you go into the lower/rear entrance of McMahon Funeral Home on Mam'k Ave, there are (or at least used to be) a number of old photos and other items on display from WP volunteers