Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AFD-PM

WC Fire Test:What Did You Think?

19 posts in this topic

What did everyone think of the county test?

I think Air Conditioning would of been N I C E......

And I think that we may have been in the same room!!

It was one of the easier tests I've taken. A/C would have been great.

I wish i was on that boat in the canal. Which way did it point????

No A/C? What was up with that? For all you irritable types tongue.gif for those of you who will comment, I hope it didn't aggravate you to the point it affected your performance. Good luck to all!

Never get my hopes up, but i also found it to be a somewhat easy. Of most of the tests that i take, the county exams are usually the more difficult ones, but this time around, i think i prepared very well...we'll see!

A/C would have been great, but thankfully some guy in my room saw a fan and plugged it in...better than nothing! Good luck to everyone else

I wish i was on that boat in the canal.  Which way did it point????

When in doubt, just use ABACAB (Not the Genesis song)

But seriously, I wouldn't say it was "easy". Compared to other civil service exams I've taken it required more thinking. If I had to tag it with one word, I would say it was "fair". (I can only speak for the first 60 questions, of course...)

Edited by 242steve

Easy Huh? Probably just another fine example where the Fire service is headed in this CNTY., let alone the State! If ya get my drift? Just ask FDNY. mad.gif

When in doubt, just use ABACAB (Not the Genesis song)

But seriously, I wouldn't say it was "easy".  Compared to other civil service exams I've taken it required more thinking.  If I had to tag it with one word, I would say it was "fair".  (I can only speak for the first 60 questions, of course...)

ya, you said it better, and thats what i meant. harder than most of the exams i've taken, but as long as you wer prepared and knew what to expect (alot of math related questions), hopefully you were in good shape!

I'm not too familiar with how the county works. How long does it usually take for the county to send its applicants their results and then offer the physical? Considering that so many different departments hire off the same list, I'm not too familiar with how the process goes. Thanks

LP

I thought overall it was fairly simple, compared FDNY's with all those psych. ?s hopefully I scored well. Yea the lack of A/C was a real pain, but i dont think it hurt my score, just bugged me.

I'm not too familiar with how the county works.  How long does it usually take for the county to send its applicants their results and then offer the physical?  Considering that so many different departments hire off the same list, I'm not too familiar with how the process goes.  Thanks

LP

It takes many, many months to get test results. If memory serves, if you score above a certain point you get called to do the agility test. From there I have no idea what happens, never been there...

I'm not too familiar with how the county works.  How long does it usually take for the county to send its applicants their results and then offer the physical?  Considering that so many different departments hire off the same list, I'm not too familiar with how the process goes.  Thanks

LP

I forget how long it takes to get the results. Last time around I received several canvasing letters, which you'd respond to then the process would go from there. For a variety of reasons, I never followed up on the letters I received. I don't remember mentioning of a physical. I guess that is up to each of the individual communities.

I did take the White Plains test and went and took the practice physical they offered. Then I was sent a nice letter saying that I didn't stand a chance because I didn't have residency - or something similar to that mad.gif Oh well, I don't smoke, maybe I should go to Florida biggrin.gif

I forget how long it takes to get the results. Last time around I received several canvasing letters, which you'd respond to then the process would go from there. For a variety of reasons, I never followed up on the letters I received. I don't remember mentioning of a physical. I guess that is up to each of the individual communities.

I did take the White Plains test and went and took the practice physical they offered. Then I was sent a nice letter saying that I didn't stand a chance because I didn't have residency - or something similar to that  mad.gif Oh well, I don't smoke, maybe I should go to Florida  biggrin.gif

Thanks Monty...its very interesting to me. You didnt even get called to a physical before your canvas letter??? Also, dont they mail your test score, or do they just send you canvas letters if you did good? How long did that take? Doesnt seem to make too much sense, but this is why I'm asking. Hopefully someone can clear it up.

It's a slow process. The results usually take a while, since they have to be processed by New York State then Westchester County-the beauracrcy slows what could be an instantaeous process (like other modern tests) into a several month wait.

You sometimes takes the agility before getting a canvas letter. Each muncipality is different in their hiring process. I took my agility on a 100+ degree day in August, one month before the academy started. I was interviewed the month before, got the canvas letter a month before that. I'm having some trouble remembering, but I think the last test we got the results the following October.

This year, I had heard they were going with CPAT. Can anyone confirm this?

This year, I had heard they were going with CPAT. Can anyone confirm this?

In speaking with someone in county human resources back in March, he said that the county wants to go with CPAT within the next year or so...but that certain FD's are apparently against it (for reasons he either couldn't or wouldn't give). Don't know which departments are fighting it, but apparently there's a couple of them.

Thanks Monty...its very interesting to me. You didnt even get called to a physical before your canvas letter???  Also, dont they mail your test score, or do they just send you canvas letters if you did good?  How long did that take? Doesnt seem to make too much sense, but this is why I'm asking.  Hopefully someone can clear it up.

Yeah, you do get mailed your score, and list position. As Seth says it takes a lot of time - several months. With the Yonkers test I never received a letter with my score. That may be because it was held up so long in the courts that they have an old address on file for me. Though because of residency requirements, I'm not going to loose too much sleep over how well I did or not.

Doesn't the county have a weighted physical like Yonkers? If they go to a CPAT, then won't your written score be the only deciding factor?

Has the county physical been the same over the years? Hose drag, doughnut lift, stair climb and pull down?

Doesn't the county have a weighted physical like Yonkers?  If they go to a CPAT, then won't your written score be the only deciding factor? 

Has the county physical been the same over the years?  Hose drag, doughnut lift, stair climb and pull down?

I guess that maybe the issue that some municipalities don't like. The test you mention above certainly sounds like the White Plains pratice phyical I took. Personally, at my stage a pass/fail physical works better for me than a scored event smile.gif Guess old age is really kicking in tongue.gif