Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

10,000 Gal. Of Water To Your Fire Scene By Train

10 posts in this topic

Each of the three lines Metro North lines has a tanker car on standby. Hudson Line, Croton yard. Harlem Line, Brewster Yard. New Haven Danbury and Stamford yard.They all carry 10,000 gal of water also each one carries a pump that can be used for drafting along with 20ft of 3inch hard suction,hose 1 3/4,2 1/2,3inch,total hose carried 500 to 1000ft,plus all adaptors for all different threads,also in the works of installing deck guns on all three.

Special thanks to mnfbhmc1 for providing this information.

Definetly a great resource for the communities along the railroad line, especially those without hydrants. This is shown to all people who take the Passenger Train Rescue Class given by the County and Metro North. In Probie school, I took this class and "Spankie" said that it could respond within an hour usually and would be towed by the nearest availlable work engine, FL9/10, or Genesis.

Does anyone have this in their SOP's for a general-alarm fire, or has anyone made use of this resource?

PHOTO BY X635

[attachmentid=2845]

Photo by me, x635 http://www.x635Photos.com

post-11-1180990462.jpg

Next time we get a worker over on Warburton or BVA I'm gonna reccommend this!

We've utilized it on some of the large brush fires along the tracks between Croton Falls and Brewster.

How does this affect service to the customer? I would have to imagine it would not go over well during rush hour. Or do you pull into the yards and fill your tanker from there? Any answers out there?

Edited by lad12derff

We've utilized it on some of the large brush fires along the tracks between Croton Falls and Brewster.

They won't tie up at mainline track without a good reason. There has to be a siding in the area. Downtown Yonkers has sidings, so does Croton and Tarrytown. There are also several in the Mount Vernon Yard on the Harlem Line.

It's not really the most convenient thing. If you call for it, they call back an Engineer and a Conductor. It can't roll without both.

It might be usefull if you had water main issues and you knew ahead of time.

Right now, all 4 water tank cars on in the Harmen yards in Croton on Hudson to make up for the fact that the facility's fire protection is down while they renavate the shops.

They won't tie up at mainline track without a good reason.  There has to be a siding in the area.  Downtown Yonkers has sidings, so does Croton and Tarrytown.  There are also several in the Mount Vernon Yard on the Harlem Line. 

It's not really the most convenient thing.  If you call for it, they call back an Engineer and a Conductor.  It can't roll without both.

It might be usefull if you had water main issues and you knew ahead of time. 

Right now, all 4 water tank cars on in the Harmen yards in Croton on Hudson to make up for the fact that the facility's fire protection is down while they renavate the shops.

First of all, ANY time we get fires along the tracks, the FIRST thing we do is put a STOP on ALL trains. They beg us to let them "walk the trains through" but NO WAY will we allow that. That's when they get their moneys worth out of Chappaqua Limosine, It's in their best interest to get that tanker out there. The quicker it gets there, the quicker the fire gets extinguished. We need water. And no there are no sidings in the area.

I stand corrected. The Tank cars are not all at Harmon any longer. They are back in their normal spots.

*Thanks to an insider for that info

I know they need an engineer to drive the train...why do they need a conductor...to check the tickets when the water is picked up???

The engineer operates the train, but the conductor is by definition, in charge. I'm sure its in their contracts too.