Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

What happended to the Snorkle?

16 posts in this topic

I was just curious what happened to the Snorkle articulating tower baskets? I know ALF has the rights to Tele-squit and Snorkle. Did they stop offering the "original" tower ladder design or did someone else purchase the rights?

I'm currently in Philly and some of there engines are fairly new(2002-present) ALF Squirts. I'm assuming they are still making the tele-squirts.

Chicago has Snorkel-Squads that are built off of HME (I think) chassis that are no more than 10 years old. They are short devices though... probably about 55-60ft.

Here is one from Schoharie County, should be familiar to you guys down state, it was purchased from a down state dept as a package along with an engine, I believe a 1970'3 ward lafrance with a LDH reel on the hose bed, same color.

Any guesses where from? wink.gif

post-3032-1181071565.jpg

Verplank's lives on! I would guess it's a new paint job, since Verplank's is a little more subdued.

Los Angeles County FD had snorkles. In fact, if you watch Season Three, Epsidode 2 "The Old Engine", you will see it being used in a 70's style F.A.S.T. operation.

Memphis FD (I think) just got a Pierce rescue truck with a brand new Snorklel on it.

WINNER!! biggrin.gif Verplank it is. You guys want it back? laugh.gif

VERPLANCK-------

Correct me if I am wrong, but that BCFD snorkel is the same rig, just renumbered.

I have to say, you may be right on with that!

WINNER!! biggrin.gif  Verplank it is.  You guys want it back? laugh.gif

I will take it back i Miss that Truck It was better then the new TL-46

Looks Nice Glad to see it is still running strongs and getting used!!!

It is a definate possibility that it is the same truck

But then again if BCFD ordered more then one it might be the same spec for both and that is why they look so similar if not the same

I know there area a lot of units still out there but ALF doesn;t seem to be building the Snorkels new anymore and most of the units are re-mounted on new chassis. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I love the old snorkels especially watching Chicago work with theirs.

I think the Bronto and Sky-arm are the next generation too. What do you all think???

From what I understand the Bronto and the Sky Arm are about $1 million apiece. Also, what good is it if the Sky Arm's only hinged section is the fly section. Now if i remember right, the Bronto is the same, although you can turn the basket on the end of it. To me, the choice would be either the Bronto, or Rosenbauer's T-Rex (???).To me, only one hinged section doesn't do a heck of a lot of good if you have a tree obstructing your ladder and you need to go down more to reach the victim in the stream.

My 2 cents (again)

Mike

what good is it if the Sky Arm's only hinged section is the fly section. Now if i remember right, the Bronto is the same, although you can turn the basket on the end of it. To me, the choice would be either the Bronto, or Rosenbauer's T-Rex (???).To me, only one hinged section doesn't do a heck of a lot of good if you have a tree obstructing your ladder and you need to go down more to reach the victim in the stream.

One of our neighbors has a Sky-Arm, the biggest benefit is getting to the roof over a high parapet wall, which is it's main purpose for them. The Sky-Arm operates similar to a tower ladder with the option to articulate the fly section if necessary. Bronto is not the same as Sky-Arm and is more comparable with a Snorkel.

I know there area a lot of units still out there but ALF doesn;t seem to be building the Snorkels new anymore and most of the units are re-mounted on new chassis. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

$$$$. You can save some money if the aerial is is good shape and you referb the aerial onto a new chassis. Only problem is 20 years after that you have a 40 year old aerial. I don't knock it...you do what you have to do.