Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY & Diesel SUV's

13 posts in this topic

With the Excursion now gone from the Ford Lineup, leaving no diesel SUV on the market, has anyone heard what FDNY will be using for their Battalion and Division trucks?

I would assume they'd have to go with gas.

Also, I'm not exactly positive that the Excursion is gone. This one looks awfully like it fits in the Ford '07 model year lineup with the updated grille.

http://x635photos.com/displayimage.php?pos=-954

Unknown about the Excursion, but I was just browsing the Chevy website and I'm surprised to see that the 3/4-ton Suburban is not available with the Duramax Diesel/Allison Transmission drivetrain... It certainly comes from the factory equipped to handle this configuration, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact available as a "secret" special order... I'm still waiting for Dodge to stick a hard roof over the bed of a Quad- or Mega-Cab Ram and label it as the Ramcharger biggrin.gif

What's with the 2 light bars on the back of that truck?

FDNY will not go with a GAS vehicle. No way.

They will order some other vehicle, but rest assured not gas.

There are no GAS pumps in any firehouse, only Diesel, and the logistics of going to a gas station to fuel up Batt. or Div. vehicles is so unpractical it won't ever happen.

And in true NYC fashion, they will go with the lowest bidder.

1. The EMS Operations SUV doesn't have two light bars.. It's the highway lights that go up on end. It's the newer style FDNY went to after 9/11, I hate them, way to heavy.

2. As far as SUV's FDNY will not be going to gas anytime soon. They are already looking at pickups with caps on the back as a replacement. I would expect if they do have to go with the pickup it will be a ford F-350 with a cap or maybe some form of box.

I'm still waiting for Dodge to stick a hard roof over the bed of a Quad- or Mega-Cab Ram and label it as the Ramcharger  biggrin.gif

That would be AWESOME! And not to far-fetched, although with gas prices going the way they are I doubt this would come to fruition.

The Expedition was supposed to get a specially-made diesel engine when they cancelled the Excursuion, but I guess that is another Ford error.

I expect them to go with a pickup, as mentioned above. But, with the mayor, I'm suprised their not going with Ford Escape Hybrids. Not that a smaller SUV is a bad idea....can get through traffic easier, eats less gas, etc. They would just need something that could take a beating.

Out of curiousity, how much room does a Division or Battalion actually use out of the whole vehicle??

With all the new gadgets and gizmos, along with bunker gear, it does take up a lot of room in the back. I'm interested to see what they do. Why do I have this sneaky feeling they are going to try out that box looking thing that LAFD had and MDFR uses.

But, with the mayor, I'm suprised their not going with Ford Escape Hybrids. Not that a smaller SUV is a bad idea....can get through traffic easier, eats less gas, etc. They would just need something that could take a beating.

I'm sure they do need to take a beating, but if the Escape Hybrid is holding up well as a Taxi, then perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad option.

[attachmentid=2886]

[attachmentid=2887]

[attachmentid=2888]

post-1848-1181316891.jpg

post-1848-1181316906.jpg

post-1848-1181316921.jpg

OoO,

What's with the 2 light bars on the back of that truck?

That is a Highway Bar, it can be raised just like the NYPD Highway racks.

Good for Accidents. It's Red and Amber Strobes. (New ones might be LED)

I'm sure they do need to take a beating, but if the Escape Hybrid is holding up well as a Taxi, then perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad option.

Except that they're not deisel and way too small. Supression might be able to get away with a smaller SUV, but it'd be tight. EMS couldn't. They've got a good load and its only going to grow.