11 posts in this topic

Book Title: FDNY Operational Reference, 7th Edition

Author: Jim Griffiths

Publisher: Unknown

Publication Date: June 2007

Official Website:

Purchase Link: http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bf1117.shtml

Synopsis:

(FSP Books And Videos) What has been described as "the mother of all FDNY reference books" has gotten even better!

The FDNY Operational Reference covers engine, ladder, and rescue/squad operations; includes chief officer operations, training, and statistics; explains foam, hazmat, marine, collapse, pipeline, and airport operations; provides details of dispatch operations, alarm assignment, and radio procedures.

It also lists apparatus assignment for each company and unit; includes an overview of EMS operations and shows ambulance deployment, and much, much more!

Some highlights in this new edition:

Strategic Plan for 2007-2008

New FDNY Center for Terrorism and Disaster Preparedness

New high-tech FDNY Operations Center

Added Purple K Dry Chemical Units

New Rescue 1 Vehicle

Added Chemical Protective Clothing Companies

Revised Response Assignments including Major Emergencies

2006 Fire and EMS Statistics

Expanded Fire and EMS Training

Increase in Haz-Tac Ambulances, 5 of which are designated "paramedic rescue ambulances"

New Rescue Ambulances

8 1/2" x 11", 267 pages, softcover

Comments: I HIGHLY reccomend this book, especially if you're into FDNY. Extremly comprehensive guide, everything you ever wanted to know about FDNY! And I mean EVERYTHING!

The FDNY Operational Reference, 7th Edition, has now been published and is available for purchase here:

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bf1117.shtml

I HIGHLY reccomend this book, especially if you're into FDNY. Extremly comprehensive guide, everything you ever wanted to know about FDNY!

Received my copy on Friday! - 7th edition is great.

Is there really a big difference between 6 & 7?

Is there really a big difference between 6 & 7?

Not a big difference, but a lot of updated material, and some new pictures.

My one question is on transmission of a 10-75 call. All is says now that its a notification of fire, and doesn't list the responses.

Does anyone know if anything has changed on this.

Does it list a 1st alarm assignment? In other places I've seen the two listed seperately eventhough they are one in the same.

Does it list a 1st alarm assignment?  In other places I've seen the two listed seperately eventhough they are one in the same.

First Alarm - Structure - 2 Engines, 1-2 Ladders, 1 BC

I have found now in the book where it list 10-75 and show a total response

4 engines, 2 + Fast Ladders, 2 BC, & First Due Rescue & Squad if available and not previously assigned, I guess that means if not assigned on first alarm.

7-5 all hands gets above + division chief and rac if 3 or more are in service

I am shooting from the hip here. Someone jump in and touch on this...

Edited by ailc307

One other thing. Not sure if Jim put it in the book. If a Squad company is acting as an Engine first, second, or third due, the next available Squad is assigned as the normally assigned Squad on the 10-75.

Example: Squad 270 goes in second due as an Engine to Queens Box 6057(Liberty Avenue and 117 Street). On the 10-75, Squad 288 is the normally assigned Squad.

One other thing. Not sure if Jim put it in the book. If a Squad company is acting as an Engine first, second, or third due, the next available Squad is assigned as the normally assigned Squad on the 10-75.

Example: Squad 270 goes in second due as an Engine to Queens Box 6057(Liberty Avenue and 117 Street). On the 10-75, Squad 288 is the normally assigned Squad.

Yes he does touch on this,

Just a question, when you say acting engine company, what are you referring to.

Yes he does touch on this, 

Just a question, when you say acting engine company, what are you referring to.

If they are assigned 1st due, the have the 1st hose line.

2nd due they backup and help the 1st Engine

3rd due they have the 2nd hose line.

4th due would backup the 3rd/2nd line. (Not sure if they would go 4th)

As a Squad they have pretty much nothing to due with a hose line and would being doing searchs and truck work, unless the IC needs them to start another hose line.

There were a few boxes out there where 61 and 41 go 4th due as Engines. Not sure if they are still assigned as Engines on them. 61's 4th due boxes were up towards Co Op City and 41's were heading over into Harlem. Not sure if it's been changed yet, but there are at least two boxes in Harlem where 41 goes in as an Engine 3rd due.

I have the 5th edition and it does mention in that op guide about the Squad's responses ans and Engine or a Squad.