Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Dispatcher denies help in 911 call

33 posts in this topic

But does it solve the problem of a poorly managed ER?? The community gets the short end of the deal.

I wonder where the citizens served by MLK will go now? And how this will impact LAFD and the contracted private ambulance companies in that part of LA. Will it extend their transport times going to another receiving hospital? I hope County Health planned for this, so response times don't take a hit, lest someone sue the county over that :blink::blink:

This actually has happened in our area here in metro NY a few times. Not cause one of our hospitals let someone die, but because they were closed. As with Yonkers General Hospital in Yonkers (now the Park Care Pavilion sub of St. John's Riverside Hospital). Facility accepts walk ins, clinic type setting and anything more than a cough, they call 911 for EMS to come and ship the person to (usually) St. John's ER. As a 911 operator, we triage the job and if it is not an EDP, we send only EMS, no FD first responder here. EDP's get a truck and if avail the sector car with EMS. It did overwhelm the system at times, but they don't do much business anymore...more or less just annoying when a doctor calls 911 to get an ambulance from a hospital facility and you have the idea they didn't even see the patient, they are just moving them along...

This also occurred in the Bronx, Bronx Lebanon Hospital to be more specific, BronxLeb has 2 sites, the Concourse, main hospital, and the Fulton Division, located about a mile away. Fulton couldn't really handle s*** so Empress while contracted provided a BLS bus 24/7 to ship em over to the Concourse Division. When I worked at Empress this is how I saw my first 2 shooting victims, had to bring em over the a RN and MD on board, at like 0300 hours. I believe both victims were walk ins from the illustrious E169th St area...really nice place...lol

I always thought they should just close completely and not do what they are doing cause it creates more work for EMS, if these people were willing to go to the hospital on their own originally what makes you think they wouldn't have gone to another open hospital that could actually help them? I guess this will increase transport times in the immediate area of the hospital.