Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Who'll Stop The L Train?

9 posts in this topic

'ROBO' DRIVER CITY'S EASIEST JOB

By JEREMY OLSHAN NY Post Transit Reporter

SWITCHING OFF FOREVER: The L train is phasing out the operator's emergency "dead man's switch."June 11, 2007 -- In three years, the easiest job in New York will be L train operator - whose only job will be pushing a button every 30 seconds to prove he's still breathing.

The trains will be so automated, they'll be able to start, stop, speed up and slow down without any human help.

The operator will take over only in an emergency - such as a passenger falling off a platform, or if the automatic system fails.

Normally, the operator's only duty will be pushing the button to prove to the system he's awake and capable of springing into action.

If he or she doesn't push the button, the train will come to a stop.

It's the updated version of the current "dead man's switch" - which is part of the train operator's controls.

Unless the operator keeps downward pressure on it, the brakes engage immediately.

The automated system is expected to be operational on the L train - which runs between Canarsie, Brooklyn, and Eighth Avenue and 14th Street in Manhattan - by 2010.

The "robo-train" will go systemwide somewhere down the line.

Even though recently delivered cars in use on the L have the switches, the trains are being operated the old-fashioned way until testing is complete.

Some subway workers are not happy about the new method - especially in light of the recent deaths of track workers Marvin Franklin and Daniel Boggs.

They point out that if the operator should become incapacitated just after pushing the button, it would take 30 seconds for the train to come to a halt.

"The dead man's feature is a tried-and-true safety device which has the potential of saving dozens of lives in the event the train operator becomes incapacitated," track worker John Samuelsen said.

"Thirty seconds is too long to wait for the train to brake."

Samuelsen has accused the leadership of Transport Workers Local 100 of not fighting aggressively enough against automation.

The TWU did not respond to a request for comment.

NYC Transit officials would not discuss the automated trains, since issues involving their operation are still being arbitrated.

Train operators say the dead man's switch is most often activated when operators fall asleep at the controls.

Often, when that happens, "they report that there was no cause for the brakes to be [activated], and that maybe someone pulled the brake," one veteran train operator said.

"Sometimes, it is released by accident. If you hold it down hard and then let it up a couple of inches, it will go off."

A fire on April 21, 1964 destroyed automated R-17s 6595,6597 and 6601 equipped with GRS automated equipment and Otis Elevator Corp. Door Opening Devices. It quickly spread to the wooden platform covering the former track 2. The heat rose to 1200 degrees and the steel columns holding up E 42 Street buckled resulting in the closure of that street for several weeks.

Maybe 30 seconds is too long, but automation of the subway has GOT TO be somewhat inevitable.

As much as I hate to say it, commuter trains will follow at some point too.

It's interesting to note in a book about the subways that I have, that the GCT-Times Square Shuttle was automated sometime back, and the union was furious about it.

The train mysteriously caught fire, causing signifcant damage to the station, 42nd St. above, and destroyed the train. Until now, automation had never been brought up again.

The GCT Shuttle would be a great place to start automation....such an easy run....but most likely boring.

As CCR sang it best...And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the train biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I can understand how the union is unhappy with this idea, but at some point you have to wonder how something as simple as the shuttle can't be automated.......it's a 45 second ride and it MUST be very boring for the train operator. (Although, I'm sure they want a job)

Isn't the BART automated?

Yes, I think BART is automated, as is Washington DC Metro. The difference is NYCTA Subway operates 24 hours a day, the others close around midnight- 1 am. The NYC unions concern is worker safety, how will system recognize track workers and slow down, unless NYCTA begins shutting down whole lines for maintenance, which would cause total chaos.

The Airtrain System that links all of JFK's terminals and lots and runs above the Van Wyck Expressway to Jamica Station linking with LIRR and the Subway system is completely automated without any operator even on board. The only incident occured when ths system was being tested when ironicly a train operated in the manual mode crashed killing the operator.

Yes, I think BART is automated, as is Washington DC Metro.  The difference is NYCTA Subway operates 24 hours a day, the others close around midnight- 1 am. The NYC unions concern is worker safety, how will system recognize track workers and slow down, unless NYCTA begins shutting down whole lines for maintenance, which would cause total chaos.

There's no reason that a section of track couldn't be set to a slower speed while work is being done. Hell, with computers now I bet you could have the train horn sound when it enters this track area too.

The Unions concern isn't safety alone, it's jobs and that's understandable. That's what they're there for, protecting jobs. However, I think this position is one that you'll see phased out over the next couple of decades. The train operator has ONE handle to manipulate to accelarate and stop the train. They're doing less and less as it is. It's not the same as a railroad where they are operating at much higher rates of speed over greater distances. Although, that'd be next.......