Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Our 60 Control Dispatchers: A Thank You

21 posts in this topic

With the other thread about 656, and HFD750's comments, it sparked me to start a new thread.

60 Control is a tremendously difficult job, with all the departments they dispatch for having completly different operating procedures on many different frequencies. Additionally, they answer numerous different phone lines including 911 and the dozens of PSAPS in Westchester, plus the 7 digit lines. They also provide over-the-phone lifesaving instructions, as well as coordinate the dispatch and assembly of the county's specialized teams.

I believe 60 Control is one of the most difficult dispatching jobs in the country. On top of that, low pay, poor working conditions, understaffing, obsolete facilties, constant critcism from those who are ignorant to what they have to do, and most of all, lack of respect, makes their job extremly difficult and adds an unhealthy stress.

Many of us love to critque and criticize them, after all, many of us don't know them by face, listen and judge every move they make, and place blame on them for things that our our own faults, such as the ridiculous mutual aid and home rule system this county has. How would you like to be followed around with a video recorder all day every day at your job and have your collegues judge every move you make? They also have no downtime whatsoever when there are calls going, whereist we do. Not to mention, they have to deal with all the egos who think they are right no matter what, the people with poor radio ettiquette, a obsolete radio system, etc etc.

The new Captain is working hard to resolve a lot of these issues, and he is making tremendous progress. However, we in the field have to realize what they do, and campaign for these guys to get paid more, have a 20 year pension just like FD and PD, since their job is just as stressful as ours, if not more, and for every department to work together to come up with a unified, central communications system. We need to help them out- let the DES commisioners know, write a letter to your local politicians about their pay and about a 20 year retirment system for them....they are a part of us and we need to start reconizing that!

So, please post your thanks to the professional and extremly patient dispatchers of 60 Control on this thread. They do an awesome job, and they deserve all of our respect for coordinating and bringing out the best they can in the mess that this county's fragmented 911 communication systems is.

Thank you 60 Control! You guys are the rock stars of the dispatching world!

*Full Disclosure: I'm x-60 Control. I wish I could swing it to go back there to work in addition to my regular job which I love too, it's like family up there, and I miss it, most especially the wonderful friends that I worked with there.

I agree wholeheartedly with you here, Seth. Those ladies and gentlemen do an awesome job! We were probably one of the first Departments to have 60 Control handle our dispatching needs and have NEVER had a problem. With that said, I wish to say THANK YOU to a GREAT crew!

Thank you Seth and everyone else for your support and kind words!!!

I took the job here because I was tired of working crap jobs and wanted something with a pension and benefits. I AM GLAD I DID IT!

I have been at 60 Control for over 5 years and have enjoyed it abot 97% of the time. (The other 3% I'll leave out). The people here are great to work with and together we all do our best for the County.

On the subject of retirement, here is a link to a petition to Governor Spitzer to offer 911 Dispatchers a 25 year retirement instead of our current 30 year one.

http://webmail2k3/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?UR...ispatchers.html

Thanks everyone, it's nice to hear an "atta-boy" once in a while!

Edited by Remember585

Let's face facts. The county would be lost with out you guys. You make it seem soo easy. I can't speak for everyone, but THANK YOU GUYS for what you do!!!!!!!

Not to mention, they have to deal with all the egos who think they are right no matter what, the people with poor radio ettiquette, a obsolete radio system, etc etc.

To the dispatchers at 60 control. Thank you for your hard work and patience, especially with the above mentioned road block to clear communications. I am dispatched by and work with you all at two different agencies and have seen the professionalism only increase over the past 10 years. If I ever seem short, it's not your fault, it's most likely the radio. On both sides of the county (especially the eastern half) I often feel like communications would best be effected by smoke signal. I know Dave can hear through the static, but the rest of us can't. tongue.gif

One day we'll all be talking via satellite, and all will be good. biggrin.gif

Keep up the good work.

Well thank you all for your kind posts. We do actually get some GOOD feedback from units in the field. It is always nice to hear.

My first "Thank you!" when I came on the job in 2000 was from none other than WAS967.

Very Good,

I have often wondered how they do it... I know it can be difficult enough dispatching 6 Fire Departments and one EMS agency in one city... How they manage so many (over 40, I believe?) agencies throughout a relatively large county, even with computerized CAD, boggles this dispatcher's mind.

Keep up the good work!

-242steve (Sometimes known to my brothers/sisters at KED-281 as U-39, U-49 and soon to be Ladder 26!)

Edited by 242steve

No better friend...no worse enemy....

LOL. Just kidding (sort of) tongue.gif

I am fortunate to be close friends with many of the 60 Control staff. They do an excellent job under often difficult circumstancesm.

I know that when I need them they are there and back me up in every conceivable way they can.

Can't say it enough THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

good post seth, from being a former dispatcher there myself the place has grown from 1 phone to answer to many. there is always room for improvement, keep up the good work! jjc #609

Thanks for all you guys/ girls do keep up the good work.

Like everybody else, understaffed and overworked .... great responsive service despite the everyday issues. And yes, the Captain is a very valuable asset to the County and the numerous operations which are included in the dispatchers roll call

All Runs start with dispatch they set the tone for all the calls.60 control is CALM and PROFESSIONAL under the best and worst of times. I think may be 60 control should make a CD for a training tool of what dispatch is like durning bad storms,working jobs, multi mva's. with good audio so the Newbie and the OLD Dogs can under stand what they go though.

I think may be 60 control should make a CD

60 Control's Greatest hits Vol. 1

laugh.giftongue.gif

Edited by DES630

The Captain had a good trainer !!!

60 Control's Greatest hits Vol. 1

laugh.gif  tongue.gif

Do I hear a 2nd???? Where do I sign up???

Also how many "very good" do you think we would hear? biggrin.gif

I love to listen to 60 Control when I'm at home. You guys are just as busy as my center (New Haven C-Med) and the job you all do is superb! Keep it up!

Hey Hey Hey! What about us Police, Fire AND EMS dispatchers!!!

all kidding aside, now that I know what being a dispatcher intails - 60 Control does a phenominal job!

all kidding aside, now that I know what being a dispatcher intails - 60 Control does a phenominal job!

Hey Georgie Boy - you do a good job too - even if it's a tree into a car!!!!

Georgie:

Is there such a thing? Aren't you a police dispatcher posing as a fire/ems telecommunicator? LOL. Now before any of you get in a tizzy...relax I'm joking.