Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Monster Bumper

45 posts in this topic

I actually like the idea, makes the equipment more accesible.

As far as the capabilties of this engine go, from what I understand this Engine will be the first to roll to anything and everything in the district, and sometimes the neighhboring towns take a while to get there or it takes them a while to get another apparatus out.

So this is kind of a do-it-all type of apparatus designed around the needs of the department. Kudos for innovation, looks like they thought more about function then looks.

All it needs is a stick and some truck tools, lol.

when will the madness stop!!! looks like a fd with too much money on their hands....hope they have a station big enough for it.

The pump is a rear mount pedestal type, with the panel on the drivers side in the rear compartment. This keeps the operator away from any discharges and intakes.

Sources report the FD doesn't intend on really utilizing the tilt bumper much as it was not planned for and really needed, just an add-in from Crimson.

While the Hubbardstown truck seems to put all the eggs in one basket, they know their staffing and are realistic about what they can do. So unlike some, they chose not to send 4+- guys in two or three apparatus, opting to initially send one well equipped engine. Spend a little time talking to them about the concept and you'll see it was well planned and thought out.

Slayer 61: The aerial was a Rosenbauer/Metz Raptor.

[attachmentid=2981]

[attachmentid=2982]

[attachmentid=2983]

[attachmentid=2984]

[attachmentid=2985]

[attachmentid=2986]

[attachmentid=2987]

[attachmentid=2988]

[attachmentid=2989]

post-2764-1182798417.jpg

post-2764-1182798445.jpg

post-2764-1182798468.jpg

post-2764-1182798492.jpg

post-2764-1182798506.jpg

post-2764-1182798519.jpg

post-2764-1182798528.jpg

post-2764-1182798537.jpg

post-2764-1182798546.jpg

Well, since one "adoring fan" was able to break the auto-opening/closing mechanism just by closing it at the show yesterday, I would have to say it seems a bit fragile for actual duty.

-on a side note, does anyone remember the manufacturer of the aerial that was behind this truck that had a fast ascending speed and a self-leveling turret?

Rosenbauer / Metz was the aerial. http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/aerials/

A.K.A. "Rosenbauer Raptor"

On the Crimson monster truck, it provokes a lot of interesting ideas. The squirrel-tail is the worst implementation I've ever seen. The tank is only 2000 gallons. On a positive note, you can show up to the fire and get a lot done without many people. I like the preconnects inside the cab under the crew bench.

I have to say that it is a well thought out rig. Not a fan of the tilt bumper, I dont see it serving any purpose other than one more thing to go wrong, but I may be mistaken. As far at the preconnects and tools being mounted there, I like it. It seems like a good location to put them for easy deployment and repacking. Also, from my initial look at things, it seems like they used there space wisely.

Making this into a all in one is a good way to save on money by NOT buying 4 or 5 different specialty rigs, thus savings the taxpayers money on the individual rigs, as well as on insurance and fleet maintance. Looks like theres guys did there homework before specing out the rig.

While I don't like the truck or the bumper, I'll give it some respect fot making excellent use of space, especially around the wheel wells. Nice job with the air bags.

Just to clear up on the bumper. From Firehouse forums, the designer of the truck notes that the bumper specced was a fixed steel C-channel with no moving parts. Crimson's R+D asked if they could do something movable and Hubbardstown reluctantly agreed with the express condition that all the tools and preconnects had to work easily with the bumper in the fixed position. He notes that if the bumper is ever damaged or stops working you'll see the steel one replacing it. I didn't take this that they were unhappy, but rather didn't see the need for the "fluff". Oh, and the bumper was on the house (Crimson).

I could be wrong, but it seems a little overkill to me.

No, not at all. It's a part of their recruitment and diversity efforts. This is an ADA compliant engine!

And yes, I am only kidding!

Those wheel well compartments are an AWESOME idea as long as they are sealed tight (granted the wheel wells are going to get the most exposure of all on the truck.. I could see an issue if over time the elements were able to seep through and deteriorate the airbags.

I am curious to see the results if the department took the truck out in a torrential downpour, snow, or even drove through a big puddle with nothing but paper towels in the compartments and checked the towels afterward to see if moisture/ dirt/ whatev. got into it... anyone have resources in that dept. to possibly set that up???

I've seen some underbelly compartments in my own department leak like crazy so it would be a nice alternative in a new vehicle to spec such if they work well IMHO.

A nice truck overall with good use of space.. it's obvious the pump size is more geared for the rural water supply operational aspect or "worst case scenario" given the demographics of the district.

If anything it gives a nice platform for truck commitees to look at real life options for their specs.

Bad a** over the top truck.. I like it biggrin.gif

Edited by Turborich

While I don't like the truck or the bumper, I'll give it some respect fot making excellent use of space, especially around the wheel wells.  Nice job with the air bags.

I agree that they have succeeded in using space very efficiently. The only problem with the air bags, however, is that they are not supposed to be stored vertically. Vetter is quite clear that they need to be stored in a flat (horizontal) position otherwise they tend to break-down much more quickly.

I am curious to see the results if the department took the truck out in a torrential downpour, snow, or even drove through a big puddle with nothing but paper towels in the compartments and checked the towels afterward to see if moisture/ dirt/ whatev. got into it... anyone have resources in that dept. to possibly set that up???

I'll see what I can do. I know the guy who really spent the time to design the truck and will be taking a closer look next Tuesday with any luck. But, that being said, the compartments area no different than any compartment rear of the wheel well. I believe they have a second "skin" rather than the single wheelwell peice. In fact I beleive the outer 2-3 inches where the chrome fenderette attach is also removeable so you can change the fenderette when it gets crinkled without replacing the whole inside of the well.

It's the "Everyday - Every Call" rig - right?

So what happens when it is out of service for maintenance? Does all that stuff get spread out over 2-3 other rigs?

Good point too about the air-bags, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't understand the packing of those bumper lines - how do they deploy? I am naive because I am used to seeing flat and accordian packs.

I always like to see innovations to make life easier and am always impressed when new rigs come in and I see something new. It's a shame so many places still spec rigs because "the other guys have it and it's cool."

Still seems a little overkill to me though, but I could be wrong.

3000 GPM WTF?!? They must have some crazy $hit in their response area (ie. industrial) or SOMETHING to warrant that monster pump!

They run tankers only, if I remember right. They draft from ponds, lakes, and run tanker shuttles when needed.

If you want crazy s*** check out Sherborn MA, all frontline rigs have 1500 gallons +, that's including the aerial! They have 0 hydrants. Draft and shuttle only.

Mike

It's the "Everyday - Every Call" rig - right?

So what happens when it is out of service for maintenance?  Does all that stuff get spread out over 2-3 other rigs?

Good point too about the air-bags, I was thinking the same thing. 

I don't understand the packing of those bumper lines - how do they deploy?  I am naive because I am used to seeing flat and accordian packs.

I always like to see innovations to make life easier and am always impressed when new rigs come in and I see something new.  It's a shame so many places still spec rigs because "the other guys have it and it's cool."

Still seems a little overkill to me though, but I could be wrong.

I beleive this truck is a new addition vs. replacing an engine or tanker so if it is out of service their no worse off than before it was built.

The bumper rolls are the best preconnect innovation I've seen to date period. They consist of 4 donut rolls (fold the hose in half, roll from the middle to the outer couplings). The donuts sit side by side and the one closest connect to the discharge port. The male connects to the next rolls female, and so on until the last male connect to the nozzle. You now have 200 ft. preconnected with three loops formed where they couple together. To deploy you grab the nozzle and the three loops and walk away. They unroll as you walk and when your 25 ft. from the bumper all 200 ft. is on the ground. As you continue to walk the first loop gets tight and you drop it continuing with the remaining 100 ft. same this with the next loop, until your left with the nozzle. If you come to the door at just 25 ft. all the hose ois on the ground "S" shaped layout with the nozzle toward the fire. To reload: drop 4 new donut lays into the well and connect them up. Anyone having a basic hose class can load and deploy this line and it takes up very little room. BTW if you need a longer line, you can remove the nozzle and connect it to thesecond well's hose for 400' or any variation there of. Need only 50'? Disconnect the knob and put it on the first donut's male. Now you have a trashline with no extra discharge or well.

Thanks antique - that's interesting and worth trying out.

All I know is that I would love to see everything on reels.... but we know THAT is almost impossible...