Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stewie

6/24/07 Elmsford?

3 posts in this topic

Did elmsford have a fire today? i thought i heard irvington and hawthorne going mutual aid?

None hurt in Elmsford blaze

By JORGE FITZ-GIBBON

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 24, 2007)

ELMSFORD - An afternoon basement fire forced a village man from his home and summoned firefighters from three Westchester fire departments.

Elmsford Fire Chief Michael Eannazzo said one of his firefighters suffered from exhaustion, but that no one was seriously injured in the 12:50 p.m. blaze.

Village resident Phillip Chapman said he was home alone in the two-story house he shares with his brother and mother when he saw the flames.

"I looked down in the basement and I saw flames, so I called 911," Chapman said. "When I went back to go in it was too smoky."

Chapman said his cat, Butterscotch, was unaccounted for. Fire officials had not determined the extent of the damage, but no serious damage was visible from the home's exterior.

Eannazzo said Elmsford firefighters, with help from Irvington and Valhalla, extinguished the blaze within 15 minutes.

He said Hartsdale and Hawthorne units were on standby to cover Elmsford firehouses.

"At this time we don't know what the cause of it is," Eannazzo said at the scene at 56 White Plains Ave. "We're still in the operation, just checking for hot spots."

Eannazzo said the danger with basement fires is that flames can spread upward, something firefighters were able to prevent today by dousing the flames quickly.

"It does have the potential of extending to the upper floors," he said. "The guys made a great stop. They got in there and got it out."

What?? No pictures???? Syd?? Mike??? Anyone????