Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danger

Transport Pumper

17 posts in this topic

Widewater (Stafford County) Virginia had one when I lived down there. Definately was a strange site, but it is an option to some. I believe at one time I heard Phoenix FD was experimenting with them to have the ability to transport ALS patients if the system was getting depleted of ambulances.

money can be better spent elsewhere. You don't need that size ambulance for a job 1 half the size of it can do. Also, why do you need 5 guys for a job 2 can do? Just seems to be a waste.

Mike

Didn't Washington DC Fire Department try transport pumpers years back ? Not sure?

First time I've heard of something like this. Combination Engine/Ambulance. Can't say that I personally find it to be a great idea. Thoughts?

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/ClassLibr...PORT_PUMPER.pdf

E-One did it with the Hush back in the early-mid 90's, believe Seagrave made a few also....the stretcher was carried inside the cab though, and on the Seagrave the rear cab doors were double doors allowing for ease...very strange indeed, and very popular as you can see laugh.gif

Good call on the pics Turborich (see below)...great minds think alike

Edited by 22 Truck

E-one introduced the design in the late 80s/ early 90s with a modified Hush chassis (rear engine truck) with a set of stretcher "antlers" on the officer's side of the cab and cabinets for equipment on the backmost wall of the doghouse. Other manufacturers followed suit. Phoenix was one of the first to experiment with these (as well as big medium duty ambulances with firefighting capabilities ie. pump/ tank/foam) however were not recieved well and were abandoned.

Here's one for sale-

Hush Transport Pumper

This department in particular in addition to their 3 ambulances run these as a backup.

Here's a department that has Seagrave transport pumpers and really bad taste in color-

Green like baby poo transport pumpers

Whatever works I guess.. Fredric would turn in his grave if he saw those monstrosities.

HAHAHA 22truck and I were writing @ the same time!

Edited by Turborich

Didn't Seagrave also have a transport cab for a rescue a few year back? I thouhg it was in hunter green.

-------------------------------------------------

Disregard, the link above answered my question.

Edited by IzzyEng4

They transport the PT in the crew cab? How do they keep the cab somewhat clean while gearing up for fires? Its a good idea, but I have some questions about it.

Firefighters donning their sooty, dirty gear going to and coming from fires and MVA's, it probably hard to keep clean for PTs, and I would imagine the smell of soot and other firefighting smells would be overbearing to the PT.

Has anyone worked in one of these that could shed some light on my questions?

Its a good idea, a great quick and easy solution to transporting someone rapidly to the nearest appropriate facility without having to wait for a bus to get there, but how much water and storage space do you loose, if any? Do you load/unload the stretcher the same as an ambulance or is it more difficult?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious to learn about these. Thanks!

Moose

i don't see the point, maybe someone could shine a little light on what kind of system this would be usefull in?

i agree with DMM8240, when would you really use this, when your at a fire wouldn't u need all the engines you can hold onto, would you really rather send an engine out from a scene to transport? don't you think that would be a waste of supplies? just my thought

The Groveville Fire Company in Hamilton Twp, NJ (Mercer Cty) has a Seagrave transport engine. My agency provides EMS in Hamilton and our chief in that area says they rarely transport, maybe two or three times a year. They operate with career guys 24/7.

http://www.grovevillefire.com/equipment.html

Txp ties up an eng for an hour or more. If you aren't going to use it all the time, its wasted space. In the cab, you can't fit more than two or three ff's and you're adding a few feet to the chassi lenght. If you go with the stretcher in the back you're running a rescue body that can't carry much equipment. Go out and get a type 2 bus and put a few emts on it.

How about this? An ambulance that's also an engine.

Same thing in reverse.

I responded to a MVA in Edison, NJ not too long ago when the FD responded to with an engine, ladder and rescue. Now EFD runs two large Freightliner/Medic Masters that are not only ambulances but carry all the extrication tools. Now on this particular job no other ambulances were available so here is the ambulance with a spreader, two rams, recip saw, and other assorted tools out in and lying in the street when it comes time to transport a critical patient.

You're spot on NJmedic. Duplication of services and redundancy are great, but make sure the system is still practical. Now all you equipment has to be left on scene with PD or Fire. Are you out of service till you recover it?

I had seen a version of this in Fire Engineering or Firehouse mag some years ago. The jump seat was extended out and the stretcher was placed in from a wide swinging door on the driverside of the rig. Thought it was not a good idea then, and I'm not liking it too much now. The risk of contamination for all parties conserned are high I iwould say. FF's to bio hazards and the aided case to the million and one things we would track in with our bunker gear.

I would look into contracting a private EMS provider before I would be going with this idea. They coujld still run first response. But the transportation should be in an ambulance. Not a $400.000 engine.