Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fsw1970

Sing Sing Prison

18 posts in this topic

I had the opportunity back in 1992 to shoot the "FD" at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining. I didn't even realize they still had an active rig until I saw it in Ossining's annual parade one year. This 1960 Mack B 1000/350 was said to have come from Babylon LINY in 1986.

Is this rig(or any) still active at the prison???

post-3509-1183166294.jpg

The only other rig I've known to serve at Sing Sing was this 1933 Buffalo 500/200. this first pic was taken by John Floyd at Macungie PA in 1984. He thought that the rig was privately owned at the time. I've looked through my Buffalo book, but I've not been able to figure out where this rig may have come from.

post-3509-1183166518.jpg

Edited by fsw1970

I never even knew they even had a fire brigade with apparatus- GREAT photos! Thanks for sharing, Frank!

Hopefully, one of our OFD guys will fill us in as to the current situation.

I also am curious to know what happened to the above rigs.

This last pic is also by John Floyd, but taken at the Allentown Pa fireman's parade in 1977. This rig obviously made some rounds on the antique truck circuit.

post-3509-1183167387.jpg

I never even knew they even had a fire brigade with apparatus- GREAT photos! Thanks for sharing, Frank!

Hopefully, one of our OFD guys will fill us in as to the current situation.

I also am curious to know what happened to the above rigs.

Thanks. My story on the mack is interesting. The prison mechanic was the driver of the rig in the parade, and he told me the shop was outside the fence, down by the Ossining sewer treatment plant down by the river. So one day I go down there to see him, and he was willing to let me shoot the rig without "going through the proper channels", as long as I was not in sight of a guard tower!LOL I figure he's probably retired by now,so hopefully I won't get anyone in trouble!

They still have a "Brigade" of such, it is basically a group of Guards they consider to be trained in Firefighting......we recently drilled with them months ago, they are members of there Emergency Response Team. I don't believe they have a truck anymore......can't actually recall them mentioning one. If an incident does accure, Ossining does get dispatched.....depending on the severity. They do have to File Incident Reports with Fire Headquarters though. Thry also have a "Fire Chief" and Officers aswell.

what about were bedford hills old pumper went, anyone know what that department has?

what about were bedford hills old pumper went, anyone know what that department has?

Bedford hills old tanker went to pville...don't kow aboutpumper

A friend of mine is a Corrections Officer at Bedford Hills. I ask him and post later.

that is intresting aboutsing sing.it is very intresting to know about some these non-muncipal fd.It would be intresting to know what hapen to the mack and the buffalo.

Bedford hills old tanker went to pville...don't kow aboutpumper

BEDFORD HILLS PUMPER IS AT BEDFORD HILL WOMAN'S PRISON. IT REPLACED A WARD LAFRANCE/C FORD PUMPER. <_<

BEDFORD HILLS PUMPER IS AT BEDFORD HILL WOMAN'S PRISON. IT REPLACED A WARD LAFRANCE/C FORD PUMPER. <_<

So they do still have a FD at the womens prison HUH? I was told by guys at Bedford Hills FD back in the 90's that the prison got rid of their rig. <_<

They still have an old pumper which is no longer in service, that was replaced by another which was acquired from BHFD. As far as the Fire Brigade, it's comprised of DOC Employees, inclucing Guards.

Sing Sing Fire Brigade is listed as DPT261 on the big board inside 60 Control. I can't believe that X635 does not recall this.

the womens prison also has a utility 43, whatever that is.

the womens prison also has a utility 43, whatever that is.

Its a pick up like white plains utility 2 I think