Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Gas Line Explosions: Terrorist target ?

8 posts in this topic

With the foiling of the recent JFK gas line explosion plot, was wondering logisticly if mass casualties can result if a gas line is sabotaged. The utility company claims it would not happen as easily as presented in the media. Maybe this was just bs media fodder, maybe not. They claim a long distance explosion throughout the gas line cannot occur if one point is detonated.

I remembered seeing an entire neighborhood devastated a few years back in either South New Jersey or maybe Pennsylvania after a gas line somehow exploded. Thinking of this is absolutely frightening.

Channel 13's "Expose" segment last night about railroad chemical tankers as potential targets was quite disturbing.

Sorry, but it's only a matter of time one way or another for us unfortunately. Hate saying it...

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

ATTENTION WEBMASTER--PLEASE BOLD ALL POSTING TITLES. THANK YOU.

If you're talking fuel lines, as in gasoline, diesel or aviation fuel, it may or may not happen. It all depends on safety checks in the pipeline. As for gas pipelines, fire can travel readily down the flume of gas. However, that distance is once again determined by the valves and safety devices on the lines.

As for multi casualties, it depends where the pipeline is. I remember a pipeline explosion years ago back east that wiped out an apartment complex.

Edited by RescueKujo

So as a homeowner with gas service, there is really nothing I can do protect myself and family other then fire drills and smoke detectors, CO detector and serious size fire extinguishers ????

I remembered seeing an entire neighborhood devastated a few years back in either South New Jersey or maybe Pennsylvania after a gas line somehow exploded. Thinking of this is absolutely frightening.

Happened in Edison, NJ, March 23, 1994, more North/Central NJ. We had just returned from a 5 alarm church fire in New Brunswick when I walked outside to what sounded like a jet landing in the parking lot and the entire area as light as day. 112 persons were injured, it destroyed eight buildings, and resulted in the evacuation of 1,500 apartment residents. Accident damage exceeded $25 million. The National Transportation Safety Board’s investigation determined that the probable cause of the accident was excavation damage to the exterior of a 36-inch gas pipe. I was supervisor on that night and thought a gas main had cauight fire a couple of blocks away. The actually fire was 5 miles away. When I pulled up I though the heat was going to blow the trucks windows in. I had to turn up the collar on my turnout coat and I was still 1/2 miles away from the fire. I looked up to see a NYPD copter fly over so I knew this wasn't a local issue.

The Edison NJ fire is pitched by the utilities as a worst case scenario. There the damage was caused purely by the size of the line ruptured. The fire didn't spread down the line. It did not set off a Hollywood type explosion. That was just a 3' wide line that was ruptured and ignited. Practically speaking attacking these lines does relatively little damage to the surrounding area. Your better off just using your time and materials taking down the buildings directly. The real damage from these attacks is disruption. You take out the Jet fuel supply lines and you can grind the airport to halt and create financial damage. As far as protecting your family, you're at a greater risk from an extinguished pilot light than from a gas line disaster.

The media is creating mountains out of mole hills with all these stories. The UK car bombs were no more dangerous than a suburban car fire. 20lb lpg cylinders are very common especially this time of the year. All your getting is a nice propane torch from the cracked open valves and ripping car fire. The idiots in Jersey who wanted to attack with RPG's and AK's (that they didn't have) and expected to get away in a car that was to waiting near by. The brain trusts who wanted to blow-up the Buckeye didn't have the cash, access, or even a realistic plan to breech the line.

I saw the glow of the fire from Edison NJ in Beacon. I went down to Nyack looking for it. LoL We didn't have the internet back then so we couldn't just pop online and do a search for big fire.

New Jersey has seen a few of these large gas line fires and explosions. If you research it how ever, the gas explosion/ bleve and susequent fire only affected the area of rupture. The fire/explosion never traveled up, or down the gas line.

We can however throw it to Mythbusters... and let them blow one up. I'm sure they can do it somewhere!!!

The concept of blowing up the tanks got everyone thinking. Thank God that they didn't have the means to carry it out. After the arrests, a representative from the gas company said that even if a charge was set off, it would be localized and that safety valves would prevent explosions throughout the line. Also, all gas is not created equal. There is a big difference between jet fuel and natural gas. One thing for sure, they all go boom...