Followers 0
Bababoosky

Mount Vernon halts 2 firefighter promotions after bias claim

6 posts in this topic

Mount Vernon halts 2 firefighter promotions after bias claim

By DESIREE GRAND AND RICHARD LIEBSON

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: July 8, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON -Promotions for two Mount Vernon firefighters were put on hold Friday after protests from the Vulcan Society of Westchester alleging the city was passing over black candidates.

But at least one of the firefighters whose promotion to lieutenant was yanked says he is qualified for the post.

Firefighter Joseph Carroll, a 20-year veteran, said he was assured by Mayor Ernest Davis and Chief of Staff John DiBlasi during an interview Thursday that he would be promoted. But during that same interview the city received a letter from the Vulcans - a fraternal organization for black firefighters - and Carroll was told the promotion would be put on hold.

"I don't understand why, all of a sudden, it's a big deal for me to be promoted," said Carroll, who is white. "I'm qualified and I've earned it. Something's not right."

Neither Davis nor Carroll would identify the second firefighter. The letter reportedly followed complaints by nine firefighters to the Vulcan Society.

The controversy stems from the Civil Service list used to promote firefighters. Carroll is second on the list, which expires this week.

Davis said the Vulcans brought it to his attention that the list was about to expire. The mayor said the group claimed his actions were violating a consent agenda agreed upon by the Vulcans and fire departments in the county.

A Vulcan lawsuit charging discriminatory hiring practices in Mount Vernon, Yonkers, White Plains and New Rochelle resulted in a 1981 consent decree in which those cities agreed to conduct recruitment drives to ensure minorities were given a fair chance at Civil Service fire service employment.

"We didn't feel it was prudent to move ahead," Davis said. "Rather than proceed and stir up something, we asked the Legal Department to look into the veracity of their claim."

Telephone calls to Curtis Bracy, a Yonkers firefighter and president of the Vulcan Society, were not returned.

Noah Lighty, president of Local 107 of the International Association of Firefighters, said a new promotion list will come out Tuesday. Firefighter rankings might change in the new list.

There are two vacant lieutenant positions, including one left open since March. Lighty said another sore point for the firefighters was that instead of interviewing the top five people on the list, only two were considered for the positions. Lighty, who is black, could not say whether race played a factor in the promotions.

"It is the union position that if there are vacancies they should be filled," Lighty said.

Carroll, who is also a firefighter in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, said he is consulting with civilian and military lawyers. Six weeks ago, he said, two white firefighters received promotions to lieutenant and captain from the same list he's on, "and nobody said a word."

"I think that the Vulcans have inside information about the next list and that's why they're protesting now," Carroll said. "Is it racial? I don't know. But if it is, it's the Vulcans who made it a racial issue."

I support Firefighter Carroll. He is an awesome, experience firefighter and fire instructor, and an institution in the Mount Vernon Fire Derpartment. I am proud that he is one of the instructors that tought me to be a firefighter in Probie School, and I learned from him and his very obvious love for the job and his department.

I don't know the complete circumstances of this situation, but FF Carroll absolutely deserves and has earned this promotion. If he doesn't get it because of Mount Vernon politics, then that's a huge loss for the department and insult to ALL the firefighters who have trained and worked hard, hoping to one day earn a spot as an officer.

I do not know who the other firefighter is, and he may deserve it as well, but knowing FF Carroll as well as many other Mount Vernon FF's and officers, he is an awesme choice too. I know as far as he's concerned, on his end, it's not a racial issue at all...it's a firefighting issue that's been interuptted by the usual city politics, which have put him and his fellow firefighters in danger once again.

I completly agree with diversity, but everyone should be on an equal level.....we all bleed red....it should always be the best man for the job, no matter what, especially when it comes to an officer. (This is different from recruitment in my eyes)

If it is an unfair hiring practice, then that needs adressing. But denying someone who deserves a promotion because of politics....at either end.....is unfair and lowers morale.

I totally agree with you Seth. I've known Jody for many years and he is an excellent firefighter for his department as well as an instructor for the County DES. In my close to thirty years in Civil Service you can only hope that promotions are made on merit not on politics. Once the lawyers get involved is when tt goes downhill.

THe promotion should be based on the qualifications, not the color of skin or race, and this is dead wrong. Well in my opinion

sr71

I believe the race card is played way to often in all public service sectors. I have nothing else constructive to say <_<

Edited by mlfcemt093

Jody is someone I have known for as long as I can remember. His guidance and intelligence at the Fire Training Center has not only helped me to be what I hope is a better Firefighter, he has assisted our Department to be better as well! If this promotion does not happen for him, and a protest is planned, call me and I will round up some people!

B.S.