Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Looking for a course.

10 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. Need some help please. I took my Hazardous Materials Tech course in 2003 and I need to take it again to refresh. I know there are OSHA refreshers, but I want to take the course again voluntarily. Our county cant get the course here due to lack of interest. ( Heh, what else is new. <_< ) ANyone know of courses I can take? Preferably near me, Schoharie County, West of Albany. I will travel if I have too and I can find affordable lodgings.

Our county team needs techs, and they asked me to become active again. They tried to get the course in the county but they couldnt.

Anything would be appreciative.

Stay Safe

Moose.

I would suggest checking the Academy at Montour Falls or calling them

Have you tried the NYS Fire Academy in Montour Falls?

Have you tried the NYS Fire Academy in Montour Falls?

I have already put in the request with my dept, they are checking the available funds and if sending me for training pertaining to a county team would benefit the dept. They have to justify sending any of us to the academy and whether or not it benefits us. Sucks, I know. Being that we dont have any other Techs in the dept, I dont see it happening. Im trying though. :)

Moose

Jonesy

you should be able to take the course without your departments paying, you can pay the 25 dollars your self and take the class. That is what I did, you just have to do it on your own time thats all

Spending a few minutes looking around, Westchester DES has a course starting Aug 6, however that's 8 night classes - might be a ways to travel from up there.

It would be really nice if OFPC could provide a clearing house for the 'outreach' classes run by the counties. Looking around, it seems really impressive what Rockland and Westchester offer on their web sites and the courses they run. I did a quick google and found Schenectady courses, Albany has courses posted from October.

The only thing I can suggest is doing some google searching for other counties up your way and see if they have anything on offer.

Jonesy

you should be able to take the course without your departments paying, you can pay the 25 dollars your self and take the class. That is what I did, you just have to do it on your own time thats all

If you take a class "on your own" and get hurt are you still going to be covered by your department's insurance. As much as it sucks to have to think about this the way health insurance and line of duty injuries are handled these days makes me wonder...

Even if you pay the $25 or whatever it costs yourself, I'd want an official order or at least a letter from my chief "assigning" me to the course so I'm covered if I get hurt.

Jonesy

Problem is, taking at Montour Falls, as originally mentioned is a lot more than $25. There's the hours of travel - board, food etc which is several times the actual cost of the course - hence I suspect the reason for trying to find a local class.

If you take a class "on your own" and get hurt are you still going to be covered by your department's insurance. As much as it sucks to have to think about this the way health insurance and line of duty injuries are handled these days makes me wonder...

Even if you pay the $25 or whatever it costs yourself, I'd want an official order or at least a letter from my chief "assigning" me to the course so I'm covered if I get hurt.

Paying for it myself does not mean I didnt have my chiefs permission, just the Dept. had already blown out there training budget, and I was refunded the money by the village upon completion. He still can pay for it if the Dept does not have any money, with permisson from his chief to take it.