Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LTNRFD

F-16

50 posts in this topic

Anyone know why the F-16s are flying over lower Westchester??????

Anyone know why the F-16s are flying over lower Westchester??????

They were flying over here the week of forth of July as well! :unsure::unsure:

I was at station 2 in new rochelle and I saw one fly over also.

Are you sure they were F-16's?

I went and looked and i couldn't find any base in that area

I also went and looked up F-15 bases, but the closest is out on Cape Cod, but that is being closed down and moving to Westfield MA (great, now they'll fly over me!)

So, tried to figure out, but i couldn't

I also went and looked up F-15 bases, but the closest is out on Cape Cod, but that is being closed down and moving to Westfield MA (great, now they'll fly over me!)

Whatever it was, it wasnt a commercial airline or a personal jet, this thing was flying at moch somthing I bet and it had a stealthy shape to it. It was alot louder than im used to hearing as well.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

I'm not sure if they were F-15,16 or17 or any other model number. Around 10 AM they flew over my house coming from the north going to L.I. sound then headed towards N.Y.C. I thought a jet was coming into my house for brunch. I was exit stage right.

The 177th Fighter Wing of the NJ Air National Guard flys F16s out of Atlantic City. At military power they are about 5 minutes from Times Square.

Edited by NJMedic

Saw 1 solo F-15/16 fly over the Greenburgh area around 1320 hrs.

Was in the car in Brooklyn and heard some loud planes overhead, but couldn't actually see until the third time they flew over. Got a brief glimpse of 3 jets, flying pretty low.

They have been seen a lot in the past few weeks. First spotted them about 2 weeks ago flying over Rye. I think the Govt is stepping up patrol

Probably air national guard units doing exercises or pss. force protection if any Navy units are in the area.

The planes 2 weeks ago were USMC F/A-18 Super Hornets providing air support for a "show of force" demonstration with Seal Team 10 in Greenwich Ct. It's a Salute to the Veterans show they put on every year around July 4th. This year Team 10 took down a terrorist "convoy" with help from the Super Hornets and Cobra gunships. Afterwards, the team members mingle with the crowed, answer questions and take pictures while the chopper pilots land on the baseball field and do the same. Been going since i was little and i've gotta say they are a class act.

Edited by Goose

I have it from a well placed source in an official government agency that shall remain nameless :P that it was a military fly-over at Shea Stadium for military appreciation day.

Yes, they are F/A-18 superhornets

I have it from a well placed source in an official government agency that shall remain nameless :P that it was a military fly-over at Shea Stadium for military appreciation day.

yup it is military appreciation at shea and they did have a fly-by

Fly overs for special events a common occurrence. There is a ton of paperwork that you have to fill out to schedule your flyover because so many people were getting spooked from low fly overs, especially after 9/11. The paperwork details your route, altitude, and airspeed. That way when people call the FAA in a panic they know who you are and what you were doing. Most flyovers are supposed to be done 1000 ft (above ground) and 250 kts. Not like the four idiots out in anaheim who said they were going to do that but instead passed over the stadium at 250 ft, 400 kts (they lost their wings). You can still fly around Manhattan doing pretty much as you please as long as you are being watched by the Air Traffic Controller. Thats where that Yankees pitcher got himself in trouble. He was sightseeing and showboating around Manhattan. There aren't many in the northeast due to population density but every where else there are low level training routes where you can cruise along at 500 ft, 360 kts, sometimes faster and lower. You can imagine the stir that would cause with all the NIMBYs around up there. If it was an actual combat air patrol, they would be up at altitude where their engines are most efficient, meaning their fuel burn is at a minumum. In other words, these guys were either just having fun sight seeing or were doing a fly over for an event. Nothing to worry about.

something like that did happen over ground ero a few years back when i think it was a c-17? or a c-131 flew with soldiers who were returning from afganishtan and iraq were give a low fly over the statue liberty and lower manhhatan it pissed off a lot of new yorkers and the faa banned them from doing that afterwords

At 10 am there were 2 different jets that came out of 2 different directions from the north. They were in no type of formation. Later they were seen flying all different patterns over L.I. sound. It did not appear to be any type of training. The jets that did the fly over at Shea were 4 of the same jets. I wish the training would take place over the ocean and not over residential areas. The sound was so loud I thought I would have to put on another pot of coffee.

F/A-18's are a awesome versatile aircraft. I probabaly have worked with them more than any other when it came to close air support.

The 174th Fighter Wing flies F-16s out of Syracuse

maybe they were just late for the Ossining incident from last night....

In response to the mounting number of PM's about it. I categorically deny that the aircraft seen today were the newest edition to the County PD Aviation fleet and they are most certainly NOT armed with long-range TASERS!!!

If you hear Air 4 and Air 5 on the radio, it is purely coincidental!!! ;)

:P

The F/A-18 hornets were from Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, SC.

Edited by firediver55

While tailgating at shea near flushing marina last sept. ,i saw 3 take off from LaGuardia

Haven't you heard? The Canadians are prepping to mount an invasion from the Atlantic. We're on High ALERT boys.

Whatever they were, I was sitting on my pool deck and there were four in formation and it was badazz!!!!!

something like that did happen over ground ero a few years back when i think it was a c-17? or a c-131 flew with soldiers who were returning from afganishtan and iraq were give a low fly over the statue liberty and lower manhhatan it pissed off a lot of new yorkers and the faa banned them from doing that afterwords

i think it was a c-5

c-17s are WWII and there is no c-131, that Im aware of

anyway

so if you havent figured it out

did these jets have 2 tail wings, 2 engines, etc.

i think it was a c-5

c-17s are WWII and there is no c-131, that Im aware of

anyway

so if you havent figured it out

did these jets have 2 tail wings, 2 engines, etc.

my mistake i think it was a c-5 but c-17 are still active while the c-131 was probably a ww2 plane

my mistake i think it was a c-5 but c-17 are still active while the c-131 was probably a ww2 plane

Yea, the C-5's and the C-17's are still active, while the C-131 was active during the 50's. The WWII transport was the C-47 Dakota.

I would tell you more but its top secret and I might have to-never mind! don't want to be labeled as a bad guy!!!

You can still fly around Manhattan doing pretty much as you please as long as you are being watched by the Air Traffic Controller. Thats where that Yankees pitcher got himself in trouble. He was sightseeing and showboating around Manhattan. There aren't many in the northeast due to population density but every where else there are low level training routes where you can cruise along at 500 ft, 360 kts, sometimes faster and lower. You can imagine the stir that would cause with all the NIMBYs around up there. If it was an actual combat air patrol, they would be up at altitude where their engines are most efficient, meaning their fuel burn is at a minumum. In other words, these guys were either just having fun sight seeing or were doing a fly over for an event. Nothing to worry about.

Felt I need to clarify this

You really cannot do pretty much anything you want. First there were two VFR flight corridors for GA aircraft to use from ground to 1100 feet where you do not have to talk with ATC, the Hudson and East River corridors. The East river corridor was closed after the Lidle's crash into the building. He got into trouble because he did not judge the cross wind in the corridor resulting in to wide a turn. The East river corridor is not very wide and his Cirrus Sr20 is not a slow plane. The corridor is now permanantly closed to all aircraft except seaplanes and helicopters, which it should be.

What did you mean by low level traing routes? If you are talking about military, most are off-shore or below Washington. These areas are restricted to all GA aircraft when they are active. Military a/c use them as you discuss. Any other area, all aircraft including military are restricted to 250knots below 18,000 feet. Nobody is doing 360 knots. Additionally, you are correct that aircraft can go as low as 500' if in uninhabited areas and sometimes over water, otherwise 1000 feet is the minimum

:D