Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LTNRFD

F-16

50 posts in this topic

thanks for adding that! I didnt do a good job earlier with my flippant discussion. The VFR corridors around manhattan you speak of are what i was referring to. My mistake on not describing them better. As for the other numbers rattled off, I know those are military numbers. As i understand it, low level routes are the only place where a military aircraft can go faster than 250 kts below 18,000 msl. see http://www.faa.gov/ats/afss/newyork/miltrng.htm

Anyone know why the F-16s are flying over lower Westchester??????

After all the info posted I still don't know what the "JETS" were doing over lower Westchester this morning!!!

After all the info posted I still don't know what the "JETS" were doing over lower Westchester this morning!!!

either way, it was one hell of a sight and SOUND!

I LOVE flyovers, too bad not around here unless an air show

They were preparing for the flyover at Shea. When you go 250 knots, you don't exactly turn on a dime!!! :rolleyes:

something like that did happen over ground ero a few years back when i think it was a c-17? or a c-131 flew with soldiers who were returning from afganishtan and iraq were give a low fly over the statue liberty and lower manhhatan it pissed off a lot of new yorkers and the faa banned them from doing that afterwords

I don't think anyone including people from the faa should have anything to say. these men and women fought for our saftey and freedom and all they wanted to do is fly by the statue? they should fly over what ever they want without cry baby citizens of NY crying that the noise is too loud. Its our military not some civilian plane joy riding around. I dont kno if its what you all saw but at westchester county airport 2 different people own L-39 trainers and they do go out together sometimes, there experimental trainers that look like fighters. and they would be over Lower westchester bcz they fly the pattern alot and i know they fly over the sound while practicing.

Yea, the C-5's and the C-17's are still active, while the C-131 was active during the 50's. The WWII transport was the C-47 Dakota.

C-17 Globe Master is definatly still in service (The WWII C-17 Super Vega was a 1930's era small craft). The C-17replaced the C-141 Starlifter (think Hanoi Taxi).

C-5 still in service.

C-130 still in service (4 engine turbo prop) Also in service as the AC-130 Gunship currently seeing service in Afganistan and Iraq.

F-16's out of AC and Syracuse have several notable traits.... Single big jet engine, large air intake under piliot, single rudder control surface

F-15's, F-18's, F-22's all have twin smaller turbofan engine's, twin air intakes on either side of the airframe, and twin rudders in the rear.

QUOTE(RC182 @ Jul 15 2007, 10:43 PM)

Yea, the C-5's and the C-17's are still active, while the C-131 was active during the 50's. The WWII transport was the C-47 Dakota.

C-17 Globe Master is definatly still in service (The WWII C-17 Super Vega was a 1930's era small craft). The C-17replaced the C-141 Starlifter (think Hanoi Taxi).

C-5 still in service.

C-130 still in service (4 engine turbo prop) Also in service as the AC-130 Gunship currently seeing service in Afganistan and Iraq.

F-16's out of AC and Syracuse have several notable traits.... Single big jet engine, large air intake under piliot, single rudder control surface

F-15's, F-18's, F-22's all have twin smaller turbofan engine's, twin air intakes on either side of the airframe, and twin rudders in the rear.

The USAF flew the C-131 from the mid 60's into the early 80's. It was a medium sized twin prop cargo plane. Also, besides the C-47, there was the C-54, which was a 4 engine prop transport.

Thats right. I am always getting the C-17s and 47s getting mixed up, just the names. My bad

C-5 still in service.

The KC-130 is a C-130 modified for refueling capabilities. Althought it is rarely used.

I heard that they they were going to level CERTAIN AREAS of WESTCHESTER. You know, the troubled area's like MT PLEASANT, NEW CASTLE, BRIARCLIFF, NORTH CASTLE, SCARSDALE, BRONXVILLE, POUND RIDGE, ETC.....

Well hello all,

The c or full planes the kc-130 is still very active and flight sortes like things never changed. The C-17 is the newest of the large cargo haulers. The C-5a & now as well the C-5b are still the largest cargo haulers and are mostly ANG aircraft. Stewart is the local home for the NYANG with the C5a & a few bs have been added. As well the Marines at Stewart are flying the KC 130s. The C141s are going from active duty to reserve, but are still very heavily used down at Pope & around the world. It is also very common to see the boys from Newburgh doing touch and goes in the area city airports for the part timmers to keep up their quals.

retired aircrew life support spec & pj just putting in my two cents.

Also the F16s could be from the Boys From Syaracuse. Just befor Storm they swapped rides from A10 warthogs to the F16s. Probably a commute or training. Another FYI, MAS137 at Stewart originally was out of Westchester flying O2 Bird dogs. That is the high wing cessna with the engine in front & back with a H tail. They went from driving mustanges to school busses. Also MAC airport on the Island is a NYANG Air Rescue. They could of been doing some hunting for them

I heard that they they were going to level CERTAIN AREAS of WESTCHESTER. You know, the troubled area's like MT PLEASANT, NEW CASTLE, BRIARCLIFF, NORTH CASTLE, SCARSDALE, BRONXVILLE, POUND RIDGE, ETC.....

Yup, I heard that too... Eminent domain so they can build Trump National Park and Airport!

What about all the residents that WEREN'T trouble makers. I guess that means someone will have to tell everyone else why innocent people died.

Yup, I heard that too... Eminent domain so they can build Trump National Park and Airport!

No, they're going to build Trump CITY! :lol:

Mike

either way, it was one hell of a sight and SOUND!

After hearing the history of aviation, the one who came to closest to the pin by the way of explaining, what they were doing over lower Westchester, is VACGUY.

Thanks for all your imput. I did not think that there was so much interest about jets over Westchester. There certainly was never such interest about helicopters over Westchester (sorry Chris192, Mayby if you put the sidwinders on the bird there might be more interest).

Edited by LTNRFD

The KC-130J is the latest and greatest incarnation of that venerable air frame. The Marine Corps is currently transitioning the entire fleet to that. I believe the air force is also taking some deliveries. The KC designation does generally only refer to tanker aircraft but the KC-130J will truly be multi-mission. It will be able to continue its theater delivery operations but now it will have improved capability for mid air refueling. It will have a removable bladder to increase its fuel capacity. In fact, during the initial invasion of Iraq, KC-130s would land on a forward road. Some engineers would hop out and set up a Forward Arming and Refueling Point (FARP). They could fill and rearm tanks, helos, and harriers. Many of the original platforms had been modified to carry a basket (Navy/Marine Corps style) for mid air refueling. The air force tanker (KC-135, KC-10) uses a male connection to connect to a female port on the thirsty aircraft. The navy system of the tanker aircraft with a female basket is adaptable to more platforms, which allows F/A-18 superhornets to fuel up baby hornets. For now, Navy guys can fill off air force tankers that have the basket attachment but air force cannot fill of Marine KC-130s because they lack the boom and requisite boom operator.

This is a great website with pretty much anything you want to know about past, present, and some future military platforms and weapon systems.

http://www.fas.org/main/content.jsp?formAc...mp;projectId=20

There's also the ANG boys out of Burlington flying F-16's. I know they were running patrols after 9-11 ripping down the Hudson f-ing up my cable twice a day. There were some pretty nice photos of them on patrol with Manhattan in the background. Here's one of them. The better one is from just infront of the fighter. Good view of the load and much closer to the ground.

http://www.stevenplatt.com/wtcvtang.jpg

Edited by ny10570

I don't think anyone including people from the faa should have anything to say. these men and women fought for our saftey and freedom and all they wanted to do is fly by the statue? they should fly over what ever they want without cry baby citizens of NY crying that the noise is too loud. Its our military not some civilian plane joy riding around. I dont kno if its what you all saw but at westchester county airport 2 different people own L-39 trainers and they do go out together sometimes, there experimental trainers that look like fighters. and they would be over Lower westchester bcz they fly the pattern alot and i know they fly over the sound while practicing.

Ummmmmmm how do I explain this, the poeple of NYC were not pissed about the noise, they were scared becasue the last time a plane flew that low and fast it hit the towers, and its not banned for the flyovers they just have to let the cititzens of NY know they are doing it.

Up here in western mass, we have A-10s in westfield (Barnes ANG) but those are getting switched to F-15;s

and C-5s from chicopee (westover ANG)