Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mediconpatrol

EMT's and camp

9 posts in this topic

I have a question, any answers and comments greatly appreciated.

Many camps hire EMT's for the first aid of the campers. This is in place of hiring nurses, I am not sure if it is a financial issue or not....anyway the question and please correct me if I am wrong. EMT's "practice" under protocals of state and regions. It is "headed" by medical control and a Patient Care Report is written for each patient contact. In the camp scenerio, it is not a 911 call therefore it is not covered under protocals and no medical control. Nor do they write a PCR for each patient, which technically since for example a splinter would not need to go to hospital but a child cant RMA.

How exactly is the EMT covered and legally providing care.

All EMTs (at every level) practice under a doctor's - their medical director - license. In Westchester and Hudson Valley regions, the region uses the NYS BLS protocol as the EMT-B's primary protocol combined with a number of region specific amendments as far as Albuterol, Aspirin, and MARK-I is considered (among others). It is irrelevant what type of situation the incident is in (if you are requested via 911 or your a first responder), if you are an EMT at any level you are legally required to treat within your training (aka following the protocols).

While i do not know off hand, i have to assume (and hope) that a camp would have to have a "medical director" of sorts, or at least a physician to oversea and sign off on specific SOPs for treatment and medication administration. We aren't licensed so, the more i think about it, the more i think there has to be a doc involved.

As far as documentation, New York State does make a BLS-FR PCR which, in my mind, seems most appropriate for this application. Whether or not thats required is beyond me.

Edited by Goose

Camps are guided b NYS DOH policies that require medically trained personel. They are certified in basic FA such as RTE or responding to emergencies. They are just there for their knowledge and training for general boo boos.

I have worked in a camp setting for a few years. I was never hired as medical staff, but I was payed extra for my experience and in some instances was given extra duties based on my knowledge. I was never allowed to execute any patient care, I (and all staffers, for that matter) were required to bring anything medical to the nurse.

In the camp setting, (both overnight and day) I believe that it is best to have a nurse at the helm. Yes they are more expensive, however b/c so many campers come w/ meds, and seeing how some of these drugs do not fall with the EMS scope, there is a grey area with EMS holding and distributing these drugs when needed. I defintely believe that EMS can be a useful and valid tool in camp settings as first response and assiting with overflow (camp nurses offices are very packed)

As for documentation, many camp nurses and clinic settings use a sign in/log book for basic record keeping. If an EMT is in this situation, I suggest the best method is to document every visitor in a log book and if it is anything above a CFR boo boo type call or is there is consideration for a transport, a full PCR or medical report (available at sporting good stores) should be written. Camp work is alot of first aid statition/first responder treat and release stuff. If the situation requires more, always cover your a** with documentation, and by all means contact the parent to gain consent and or guidance; they are a resource to be used in these settings.

Interesting. However, i don't think the camp setting and street setting mesh too well. Nurses are far better off handling the treat and release and over the phone refusals/guidance. Those types of things go a bit against the grain of our training by sheer nature.

I was the Medical Director at a Camp for 2-3 summers. Can't remember. Basically I sat in an air conditioned office and waited for somebody to come in with scratches and stuff like that. Had EPI pens for the campers with allergies and inhalers for those with Asthma. That was pretty much it. Easy, Easy MONEY.

If it works with your schedule take an EMT job at a camp. When employed by a camp they are not an EMS agency so you are not acting as an EMT. This means you are not operating under a doctors license. There's nothing that makes a nurse more capable than an EMT at being the camp's first aid. I'd actually say that EMS providers are better prepared. Half of what we do in the field is wrapping up boo boos. Nycemt, you should be fully capable to assist a patient in self administering medication. What about nitro, epi, and other med a patient has been prescribed for an acute condition.

Camps have medical directors who outline what you can and cannot do. There absolutely is medical control. No one with any training can touch a patient without it. My take is EMTs are better suited to the task as it tends to be minor trauma and stings.

Camps are guided b NYS DOH policies that require medically trained personel. They are certified in basic FA such as RTE or responding to emergencies. They are just there for their knowledge and training for general boo boos.

i agree with mike, camps hire emt's because of their training, and what they are capable of doing.