Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Attack Hose

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any departments use a 100ft hose section for the first lengh of hose rather then 50ft for attack lines? Is there any advantage to it if so.

My old department upstate used 100ft lengths. We had preconnects of 100, 200 and 300 ft. Not sure of any big advantages. I guess it makes the hose a bit lighter and more manouverable.

I certainly had no problems with it and would be happy to use them again. I guess given my druthers, I'd rather have things like Class A foam or maybe even CAFS though.

We used 100" rubber lengths in the mid 80' .....all gone by the 90's.

It was a pain to store as rolls. We never saw any advantage and phased out.

We use a 100' length closest to the nozzle to reduce coupling hang-ups. It works fairly well in our opinion. It seems we need to do anything we can to facilitate a faster more effective stretch due to lack of proper staffing!

We use a 100' length closest to the nozzle to reduce coupling hang-ups. It works fairly well in our opinion. It seems we need to do anything we can to facilitate a faster more effective stretch due to lack of proper staffing!

That kinda answers my question. That first 50' coupling hangs up. Saw on a training video that recomended 100ft for the first length in attack lines to reduce this hazard.

Then whats to stop the second coupling from hanging up? At least if the first one gets snagged you're closer to it. 100ft away could be on the floor below.

Not to mention, what are you gonna do when you have a burst length? Now you have to replace 100 feet of hose as opposed to 50.

As to why I posed this question. Dont know that it makes much of a diffrence. If any may make more of a hassel. Just looking to see if any departments tried it or do it. I personally prefer 50ft sections.

Then whats to stop the second coupling from hanging up? At least if the first one gets snagged you're closer to it. 100ft away could be on the floor below.

95% of our work is in 1 or 2 story single family houses. It's rare for the whole 100 ft. to be inside. We weighed the options and now have the 100 foot line on the primary attack line and the rest are standard. If we burst a length, we have to add two, but its another rare occaison. If its the primary line, it's backed out and the back-up line is stretched in. Couplings hanging up in some of our finer homes: much more frequent. (not frequent enough though, good work is hard to come by nowadays) We're more likley to get the sheet from a stretcher caught in the door!

100 foot lengths are also cheaper than 50 foot lengths...less couplings.

I prefer the 50' lengths for attack lines myself. I was always taught that a "length of hose" is 50' with the exception of LDH. I also recall being taught that when you are sizing up a building, you take the width and add the length of the building to figure how much line you need. Then you add one length (50') for each level of the building.

Another thing too - we train people to follow the line out and how to read the couplings. If it is 100' lengths, the member making their way out may panic thinking they have gone in circles and get further confused or worse, lost.