Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

State shuts down Firehouse Bars in Rensselaer

39 posts in this topic

Agree or disagree, if that hurts recruiting efforts, you're probably recruiting the wrong people. How many guys join just for a bar?

Well ......... we do have Associate Members that pay their $25 dues and join for the camaraderie.

Defining public monies as any money that is collected from the public-through taxes or donations. Example's Department fund raising is public monies. taxes collected is public monies.

Volunteer or paid, a fire department is not a social club. I say that with a smirk because of course when the fire service first gained momentum, I suppose that's what it was. A political and social vehicle. But that's when people tossed buckets of water on the fire until the house burned down.

Its great to BS with the guys or attend department functions but everyone needs to remember that we're performing a deadly serious job. We're not golfing or playing shuffleboard, we're running into burning buildings to save life and property.

If a lack of alcohol directly at a fire house is causing a recruitment problem, I guess I'm out of my mind because I joined to help people in need and give back to the community.

Agree or disagree, if that hurts recruiting efforts, you're probably recruiting the wrong people. How many guys join just for a bar?

If people join just to drink than who wants them?? And if the powers to be think losing a bar will hamper recruiting efforts than those powers to be need to go..

Its been my experience the "social" aspect and bar does more to hurt recruiting then not having one. How many of us on here had the first thought of wanting to be a firefighter as "ooh I can't wait to join for the bar."

Ridiculous statement. If your recruitment hinges around a bar you've got bigger problems. Then again...I've heard most Elk's clubs have nice lounges and kick a** parties.

I would go so far as to say that even making a statement like that to the press is idiotic and hurts the public image of volunteer firefighters throughout New York.

John Q Taxpayer is going to be sitting home reading that statement and think, "Gee, what are these guys doing that a bar is required to recruit new firefighters?"

I am not so sure about this being a long way off before it hits Westchester. This idea is gaining some traction all over. And I agree with alsfirefighter, it will not hurt recruitment at all, most likely enhance it.

I am not so sure about this being a long way off before it hits Westchester. This idea is gaining some traction all over. And I agree with alsfirefighter, it will not hurt recruitment at all, most likely enhance it.

I hope you're right. There's a few reasons I joined the emergency service business - but hanging around a bar at the firehouse was never on the list.

Talking about this offline, made me think to look at the State Liquor Authority's web site and found this as their most recent media advisory:

July 19, 2007

Statement from the SLA General Counsel regarding sales of alcohol at firehouses

In the last few days, State Liquor Authority Investigators discovered evidence that suggested

that alcoholic beverages were being sold in several unlicensed bars located in firehouses in a

city in the Capital District. Recent media reports have stated that the Authority closed these

bars. In fact, the Authority did not close the bars but advised the municipality in question that

the sale of alcoholic beverages without a license was a violation of the Alcoholic Beverage

Control Law. The Authority further advised the municipality that, if evidence was obtained

that the sales are continuing, the Authority would refer the matter to local law enforcement

and seek an injunction against the city to cease the illegal conduct.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Law does allow, under certain circumstances, not-for-profit

entities, such as volunteer fire companies, to give alcoholic beverages to its members or allow

their members to bring their own alcoholic beverages into its bar, provided that there are no

municipal restrictions that prohibit alcoholic beverages at the location. Any questions about

this issue can be directed to the Authority’s Office of Counsel at 518-474-6750.

Thomas J. Donohue

Counsel to the Authority