Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

NJ Police Ticket Hatzolah Ambulance

19 posts in this topic

New Jersey Police Ticket Ambulance

MEREDITH MANDELL

The Herald News (Passaic County, NJ)

PASSAIC - The director of a Jewish ambulance service said that city police need sensitivity training and a better understanding of what the organization does after a clash with police who attempted to tow an ambulance this week.

David Kaplan, 25, of Passaic, who founded the local branch of Hatzolah, an international ambulance corps staffed by volunteers in many orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, confronted police Sunday who had ticketed an ambulance parked the wrong way on Reid Avenue, around the corner from Hatzolah headquarters at 243 Van Houten Ave.

A group of people congregated in front of the ambulance at about 11 a.m. as five police cars and a tow truck arrived at the scene, Kaplan said. The tow truck operator was unable to tow the ambulance because of its size, he said.

"It's unheard of to tow an ambulance in any city," Kaplan said Tuesday. "It sort of leads us to believe there's selective enforcement going on."

Calls to police Chief Daniel Paton and Deputy Chief Matthew La Paz were not returned Tuesday. Spokesman Detective Andrew White said they had left the office and that he would not supply a copy of the police report.

"There was a traffic violation and a summons was issued. That's all I can comment on," White said.

Mayor Samuel Rivera said he was on the scene Sunday and thought the ambulance volunteers acted "belligerently" and that perhaps police responded too harshly.

"They were to going to be towed because they were parked in a dangerous position," Rivera said.

Rivera said he met Monday with Kaplan and Paton to try to resolve friction between police and the volunteers.

"I'm trying to work with them. My goal is for them to work with our (the city's) EMS," Rivera said, adding that part of the frustration with Hatzolah goes back more than two years.

In 2004, the city tried to shut down the ambulance service because it did not comply with a city ordinance requiring certification by the police director. The state, however, does not require certification of volunteer emergency medical service squads. A proposal to amend the city ordinance requiring certification was passed Tuesday night.

In addition, the city has offered Hatzolah to use city EMS headquarters to park Hatzolah's ambulances but Hatzolah has rejected the city's offer, Rivera said.

"They say they like to have ambulances parked closer to the Jewish Community," Rivera said.

Kaplan said that since his Hatzolah Emergency Medical Services of North Jersey began operating in 2003, he has had no problem with the police and that generally, the 30 volunteers have had a good relationship with city officials. But then last fall, he said, police began ticketing Hatzolah's three ambulances, with roughly 14 tickets received for improper parking in the fall. Ticketing stopped, Kaplan said, but started again recently, with seven or eight tickets issued in the past two weeks, he said. The matters have yet to be resolved in court, and Hatzolah hopes the city might waive the penalties if a solution can be reached.

The incident is the latest in the city's parking saga involving the 3rd Ward, where many Orthodox Jews live. An outcry has erupted among residents over the enforcement of alternate-side parking regulations in Third Ward Memorial Park, where traffic cops didn't previously ticket or tow vehicles. Hundreds of residents submitted a petition against towing to the City Council during a meeting earlier this month.

Kaplan said that volunteers keep the ambulances close to their homes to save the time it takes to get to a call, rotating stewardship of the ambulances among them.

Kaplan said the city should take into consideration the services Hatzolah provides to the community. Since the Passaic Beth Israel/St. Mary's Hospital merger in Passaic, the demand for Hatzolah's service has grown, he said. With overcrowding at the hospital, many patients request transportation to other hospitals further away.

Hatzolah supplements the city's taxed EMT services and can provide transportation to places where the city's EMTs do not transport people, he said.

Kaplan believes that police officers and city officials have misconceptions about Hatzolah, which led to the clash. He wants to dispel the notion that Hatzolah provides services only to the Jewish community.

"We don't discriminate whatsoever, we take anyone," he said.

Reach Meredith Mandell at (973) 569-7100 or mandell@northjersey.com

"We don't discriminate whatsoever, we take anyone," he said.

Yeah, and i'm superman.

Nice to see someone finally holding Hotzolah responsible for their actions.

OI VEY!

They probabaly got ticketed because they think they can park wherever they want. I have always hated them. Lights and Sirens everywhere. I hope they come through my town. I would love to give them a ticket.

I get annoyed at the fact that on all their webpages for every Hotzolah I have seen, or on there ambulances, or anywhere on there buildings, it doesn't say call 911 for all emergencies. Instead you are told to write down there nine digit number and confuse people whther they can call 911 for ambulances. I'm sure thats why I still get calls for EMS help and they ask whether I am going to send an ambulance.

<snicker> :D

Be careful guys the last Hotzolah topic got frozen because it got too hot.

On an Emergency whether called in to 911 or to your direct number, you may park pretty much anywhere you like, however you can't just park somewhere and think it is going to be okay during routine business. Any emergency vehicle should be ticketed if abusing their status while not operating at an emergency! Regardless of what the side of the unit may say! Courtesy is one thing and is fine once in a while, but abuse is a whole other monster! I understand why the Hatzolah Amb. Service exists and don't think anyone needs sensitivity training cause if you break the law then you do the time! Religion is one thing and I can respect that but don't use it to get yourself around the laws that exist for everyone, not just john smith or ellen barkin, they are there for everyone! And guys, be careful with your words, this is a public site...if your opinion is obviously offensive to an ethnic group, entitled to it you are, but keep it to yourself.

If you drive past any Pct. or fire house in NYC you will see POV and agency vehicles parked in bus stops, blocking hydrants, on side walks, double parked, blocking crosswalks, and facing the wrong direction without any penalty or discipline. Where is the outrage over this constant abuse? Should we condemn all of the FDNY & NYPD as well?

Not taking sides here (even though I would like to) but I think the major difference there is those vehicles are those who are duty at the time.

:o you sould see them come in towards the tolls of the george washington bridge They act like they own the road

Funny this is here today...I never knew they existed in NJ until I saw them coming lights and sirens out of Hackensack last night. In Passaic County, most all the 911 calls go to a central PSAP operated by the Sherriff. The bulk of the ALS/BLS calls are then dispatched by MICOM (155.1750). I've yet to come across them on the street.

Throughout the years in NJ, PD has always reminded us (read as me) to lead by example. When I have bent the rules beyond reason, I paid the price. I knew I was wrong so I never challenged...just took my beating and paid the fine. If they are continuing to "Bend" the rules...they need to be reminded where the lines are. I tell my guys all the time...don't expect to get away with stuff and don't put a cop in the position where he has no choice but to spank you.

Besides...leaving an ambulance parked on the street at night while you are sleeping...doesn't that defy the FBI warning/directive put out a while back not to leave emergency vehicles unattended due to threat of being stolen and used for bad things.....

Enough of the "Oy Veay" crap. Some here may forget that there are jews on this site too. Someone wrote that they respect religion, but sees that it shouldn't be used in terms of getting off the hook, etc. Let's clarify a few things for all you non-jews out there. The chassidic community falls under a classification of "War Survivor" status. This entitles them to to recieve certain "breaks" from the state. NONE of which include violating parking and V&T laws. HOWEVER, the younger generation of Chassidics abuse this "War Survivor" status and make up their own rules as how to abide by the laws. Am I defending what Hazolah does? no. But I do not take lightly the misguided theories of some of you that they hide behind religion. They have more political clout and influence than the mob. Should EMS drivers/agenicies be punished for their infractions? Yes. Can we joke about this matter amongst ourselves? To a degree. Should all of you chant out "Oy Veah" and blurt out your intentions of ticketing them, should they come upon your jurisdiction? Keep those comments to yourselves. I'm sure those of you with some time on know, everyone watches, everyone listens, but you never really know who until your butt gets tied in a sling. This topic is a rather important one. But don't get tunnel vision and bash one group. It's like high school and pot......EVERYONE DOES IT. Keep that in mind. Oh yeah PC_420, Hazolah doesn't post 911 on their buses because they only cater and transport their own. Each "Settlement" has a specific number to call their DPS and in turn their EMS responds.

The KJFD likes to respond to calls for us. if we hear that we are going anywhere near kiryas joel you can almost bet their will be a 30 year old seagrave engine (E-596) blocking all lanes of access, 4 ambulances and about 20 chevy suburbans not marked with regular N.Y.S. plates and more red lights on them than you can count. we like it though it keeps things interesting, I mean who wants to do their job in peace!

Enough of the "Oy Veay" crap. Some here may forget that there are jews on this site too. Someone wrote that they respect religion, but sees that it shouldn't be used in terms of getting off the hook, etc. Let's clarify a few things for all you non-jews out there. The chassidic community falls under a classification of "War Survivor" status. This entitles them to to recieve certain "breaks" from the state. NONE of which include violating parking and V&T laws. HOWEVER, the younger generation of Chassidics abuse this "War Survivor" status and make up their own rules as how to abide by the laws. Am I defending what Hazolah does? no. But I do not take lightly the misguided theories of some of you that they hide behind religion. They have more political clout and influence than the mob. Should EMS drivers/agenicies be punished for their infractions? Yes. Can we joke about this matter amongst ourselves? To a degree. Should all of you chant out "Oy Veah" and blurt out your intentions of ticketing them, should they come upon your jurisdiction? Keep those comments to yourselves. I'm sure those of you with some time on know, everyone watches, everyone listens, but you never really know who until your butt gets tied in a sling. This topic is a rather important one. But don't get tunnel vision and bash one group. It's like high school and pot......EVERYONE DOES IT. Keep that in mind. Oh yeah PC_420, Hazolah doesn't post 911 on their buses because they only cater and transport their own. Each "Settlement" has a specific number to call their DPS and in turn their EMS responds.

Let's get one thing straight. In my post I was stating if HATZOLAH came through my town and were breaking the law I would give them a ticket. I wouldn't just give them a ticket BECAUSE THEY WERE JEWISH. And I never said OH VEAY or whatever it is. If you want to call me a racist them call me a racist. Don't hide behind a post. The fact is they, meaning HATZOLAH think they can get away with anything because they are in an ambulance. WELL THEY CAN"T. Sorry that your feelings were hurt with this topic. Maybe you need some sensitivity training.

If you drive past any Pct. or fire house in NYC you will see POV and agency vehicles parked in bus stops, blocking hydrants, on side walks, double parked, blocking crosswalks, and facing the wrong direction without any penalty or discipline. Where is the outrage over this constant abuse? Should we condemn all of the FDNY & NYPD as well?

Thats not a fair or accurate comparison. None of us want to park in the street. Anyone on the job long enough has had their car hit or vandalized because they're parked on the street. We would all love to have secure parking but it just doesn't exist. In this specific case Hatzolah was offered facilities with local EMS but they refused them. In that case if you want to park on the street then you have to comply with parking regulations or pay the fines you get.

What, ACTUALLY, annoys me is that this wouldn't have made the news if it hadn't been the Hatzolah bus ticketed. There's a distinct playing up of separatist and anit-semetic sentiment on BOTH sides.

This shouldn't be news... if you park your bus like a jerk, you're gonna get a ticket! Ambulances get cut a little bit of slack because they don't parallel park so easily and often need to get out quickly, but that should be the extent of it.

The only question here is whether the officers involved would treat another unit the same way, and I always give the boys in blue the benefit of the doubt until serious evidence against them is provided.

Sorry Hatzolah.... you've gotta pay your fine!

Why is it that whenever one of these knuckleheads gets in trouble for acting stupid, they are the first to cry defamation? They were not on a call and did not have their emergency lights activated. They were around the corner and could have taken the extra 10 seconds (15, tops) to park the rig correctly. They deserve everything they got and more. Maybe after this, they'll realize that they're subject to the same vehicle and traffic regulations as the rest of the population.

Thats not a fair or accurate comparison. None of us want to park in the street. Anyone on the job long enough has had their car hit or vandalized because they're parked on the street. We would all love to have secure parking but it just doesn't exist. In this specific case Hatzolah was offered facilities with local EMS but they refused them. In that case if you want to park on the street then you have to comply with parking regulations or pay the fines you get.

So it is acceptable for John Q. Public 's car to be damaged, but if you are on the job you can disregard all parking regulations? I work in the city also but I can't just hop on to the sidewalk in front of my building & park.