Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Montrose -Working Fire 12-6-03

7 posts in this topic

Date: 12/6/03

Times: 16:03-10-30

Frequency: 46.26

Units Operating:Montrose,Buchanan,Verplank (Tri-village plan)

Description: On arrival found heavy smoke, out of control chimney fire. Spread into the walls, and under the floor boards. Thermal Cameria, and a handline to be stretched in.

Writer: DFFD227

Nice write-up DFFD227! Montrose took the job, as you know, Buchanan and Verplanck had full crews on stand-by in their own quarters as per the tri-village plan. The way it was dispatched, we all thought we were going to the scene lol, until our chief(2551) confirmed the stand-by. This system has been in place for quite a few years now and works excellent. As we all know, at times it can be hard to get sufficient manpower to a call. Actually, not too long after this run, myself, my chief and a Lt. were still at our HQ when the tri-village tones went off, this time for our district. It turned out to be a candle in the window + an oil burner malfunction, but it was nice to know that Montrose and Verplanck were manned and ready if we needed them! But again, nice write-up, figured i'd give ya a little 411 on the tri-village thing! BFD1054

lol one thing that is annoying about the plan is the tone's...It sounds like Jingle Bells. Montrose has the longest tone I have ever heard. By the time the tone is done, the whole house could be up. LOL!

the mutual aid stand by for the tri-village area does work to a degree,it should be tuned up a little bit and the dispatchers at 60 control should be allowed to use their discretion if they should tone out all 3 depts, alot of times the incident is a minor alarm that turns into chaos over the radio. The dispatchers know when they have a "job" coming in. The 3 departments have been working together for over 50 + years even before the tri-village response.

I definately agree, there is plenty of cluster on the air when there shouldn't be. Especially with the tri-village. When a full stand by crew is established, a chief or whoever is supposed to call 60 Cont and advise them, but instead chiefs and apparatus sometimes sign on and ramble on. This would be a huge problem if the IC is trying to transmit an update or anything else. I also agree that the 3 tone thing is a bit outta hand, somehow there should be a better way of dispatching it. 60 Cont. is usually real good at handling tri-village calls and i must give them credit cause that has to be a huge cluster to deal with not only on the air, but with the CAD as well. But yeah, the 3 depts have worked together for a long time and its proved to be a success. BFD1054

Considering that Verplank, Buchanan, and Montrose has been working with each other for a long time, why not create 1 single tone? The tone could set off all 3 village pagers? That sounds like a good proposal.