Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SBVFD524

Pickup trucks and the parkway

9 posts in this topic

Well i was riding along coming home from western NYS. I had my friend driving my f-350. it has combination plates on it. I was not paying attention but she got off of US 17 and got on rt 6 through harriman state park. after that she got on the palisades parkway. ( the way the GPS told her) As far as i know my truck cant be on that road. But my dealer told me I can run my truck in CT on the merit parkway. Who knows any of the rules on this??

PS i had a heck of a time after getting off the palisades to get back to I 87

I am not sure, but I think ct combo plates are allowed on the hutch/meritt

I know nothing of CT Law, but in New York, Section 106.6© of NYS DMV Regulations state, you can register your pick up as a passenger vehicle if, and only if all the following apply: the unladen weight is under 5500 lbs, the truck is used for non-commercial purposes, and there are no business advertisements on it.

If registered as a passenger vehicle, you can travel on NYS Parkways.

You could be cited for NYS VTL 402 or NYS TL 182-31 (or 182-42 if you have advertisements on the truck.)

Hope this helps.

If the truck has NY plates that are commercial, you will get nabbed by CSP, even if it is a pickup truck. Combination plates for CT vehicles are allowed on the Merritt Pkwy.

cool thanks for the help but what dose a combo plate do in ny?? and i just have the truck because i like trucks so i should be all set. if i ever have to do it again.

As long as you are not operating in a commercial type operation while using the parkway there should not be a problem. I don't even get "combination" what is it actually for, even in CT? It creates a pain in the arse when one is stopped cause you have to run them by vin, at least in NY when running CT combos!

CT Combo vehicles are allowed on the Merritt only if they are under 7500 Lbs GVWR. Also no trailers and no commercial vehicles.

I'm not sure what the deal on the Palisades Parkway is. I travel Rt 6 to the PP now and then, and haven't had any trouble with a pick up. I have seen taxis, school buses, commercial trucks, 6 wheel pick ups, and privately owned "school buses" on it. Some of these get on right after the TZ and stay on until 17.

I do believe they're a little more strict on the NJ portion.

Ok im over that. The gvwr of the truck is 11200. Oh well glad i got off the road without any problems. and that i decided to get off rather than risk it.