Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New York State Police Troop K History Book

5 posts in this topic

Sounds like an interesting book.

New York State Police Troop K, Frank Goderre, 2007

New York State Police Troop K recounts the story of the celebrated troop that served the people of New York from 1917 to 1950.

Although the present department is relatively young, its roots go back to 1683, ranking it among the oldest police agencies in the United States. In fact, the first documented instance of a member of a law enforcement agency being killed in the line of duty in the United States was when Westchester County Deputy Sheriff Isaac Smith was shot on May 17, 1792.

With superb photographs, the book highlights events in the historic Hudson Valley area. Troop K, in its role as a cavalry unit, had direct connections to Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders and served special duty at West Point, during World War II, and after the death of Pres. Franklin Roosevelt. Originally the troop patrolled the state’s southeastern corner from Albany out to the east end of Long Island.

Today Troop K has 400 members and a territory covering Columbia, Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester Counties.

About The Author

Frank Goderre serves as president of the Troop K Historical Preservation Society and of the Van Cortlandtville Historical Society. A former Peekskill police patrolman, he holds a college certificate in criminal justice and currently works as an appraiser. For New York State Police Troop K, he selected the finest photographs and prepared a narrative that offers a fitting tribute for the troop’s 90th anniversary.

6 1/2" x 9 1/4", 128 pages, hundreds of B&W photos, softbound, ISBN: 0738549827, BN2688 / $19.99

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bn2688.shtml

Sounds like an interesting book.

Has this book been seen in book stores yet?

Frank Goderre is a great guy!

He is a huge State Police buff and friend to many involved in Police, Fire, and EMS.

Frank has several vintage Police vehicles including State Police and Peekskill Police.

He use to own REVOLUTIONARY AUTO BODY on Park Street in Peekskill.

Frank lettered and designed various logos/graphics for several Police Department and

Fire Department vehicles here in Westchester County.

I can honesly say he would give the shirt off his back to anyone involved in Emergency Services.

I am looking forward to getting a copy of his book.

:D

Has this book been seen in book stores yet?

I read almost the entire book in the Poughkeepsie Barnes and Nobles while I waited to get the new Harry Potter book for my wife last friday night. It has some great history about the state police and Troop K Comanders from the early years of the state police. I plan to pick up a copy of the book next time I go to Barnes and Nobles.

Frank also use to rebuild old police cars and show them.