Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest seanc

Fire Hydrant Marker Icon On Street

12 posts in this topic

im starting to see these scattered across briarcliff, does anyone know if any other towns are doing this also? it seems like a good idea, making it easier for engine operates to position the truck according to where the hydrants are, i know i have seen some hydrants almost hidden amongst brush, and just being so far back from the road

CIMG1012.jpg

CIMG1009.jpg

I've seen something similar on the roadway in my travels.

FD Maltase Cross w/ blue reflective paint and also a blue reflector (bump) in the center of the road.

The blue reflective (bump) is very noticeable in the center of the road.

PRE-PLAN!!!

Know where Fire Hydrants are in your district.

Is it a good Fire Hydrant?

Buchanan, Verplanck have markers in the street. In Wilmington NC they now have blue reflectors that are raised off of the pavement slightly (like highway markers) in side of the blue painted hydrant locater to make it easier at night!

I've seen the blue reflector bumps out in LA.

Reflectors have great visibility, but you can't use them where you use snowplows. The icon is also not visible under snow/sand/cinders in the winter. Flags attached to hydrants can get trashed too. It's true--you've got to know where they are.

I'm also a big fan of herbicides to keep hydrants visible--especially where people decide that they're going to cover that "unsightly" hydrant with plants or shrubs.

""Its a good idea to have a GPS on a hydrant but what about the cost of out fitting every hydrant in your district with the unit and then the rigs with a reciever to the hydrants...would be just too expensive

What heppens if they GPS breaks then you need to spend the high amount of money to get it fixed

Also, what happens when you go out of district....you still wont have a clue where the hydrants are unless you can see them and if crews come in district they wont have a clue where the hydrant is unless they can see it.

There has to bve a good, clear and cost effective way to mark a hydrant.......we just need to think of it ""

(Above quoted from previous post)

I am currently training to be a GIS Analyst and I work with GPS units and make maps. I have just recently GPS'd every hydrant, dry-hydrant, and watersource ( i.e pond, lake,) in the village and town of Cobleskill. I then overlayed the GPS points on a satelite image of coby taken in 2004, using special software called ArcGIS. I also have a interactive map on my computer where I can click on each hydrant or water source and get GPM's, main size, location, how many gallons of water ( lake or pond) and the distances from the road, etc. etc. I am completeing the map book soon and will present it to my dept. GPS is very useful and convenient. There are units today that go for 250 or cheaper and they do just fine.

I think every village should use GPS to mark their districts. It could be use for address geocoding; Im sure you dispatchers are aware of this, where a police unit responding to a residence for a call can access info on all previous responses and what they were, if any registered firearms are on location, registered sex offenders, etc. etc.

Just wanted to advise everyone of the possibilities GIS can provide. ( Geographical Information Systems. )

By the way, we have the flags on ours currently, the water dept puts them on and takes them off, as wellas shovels them out. Ours are color coded to GPM flow and main size.

Stay safe

Moose

union city in nj has a street sign with the Maltese cross in a rectangular location at each hydrants location

Reflectors in the roadway would work just fine around here. Take a trip into Manhattan someday. There are reflectors on most the highways.

Knowing the district is a good thing. BUT, and we are running into this right now, there are new mains and hydrants being installed. The new ones are usually next to the old ones, and it is a crap-shoot which one actually works, since they aren't bagged OOS.

In Hawaii, I noticed something interesting. It's very dark there at night, and a lot of the hydrants can be easily missed, even if you do know your district.

They have blue reflectors embedded in the pavement in the middle of the lane by the hydrant. This really enhances nighttime hydrant location.

i was just going off what jonesy said, what if we equipped our trucks with a laptop with gps, and instead of it showing restaurants like car gps's do they show fire hydrants. but of course we would still need to spend the money for laptops, and then spend the time putting in every hydrant in town.