Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Seagrave Issues?

17 posts in this topic

I remember a while back, publicized in the media, the issues FDNY was having with Seagrave, including warranty issues and backlog in getting the trucks repaired, as well as some other quality issues.

Does anyone know if these problems have been resolved? I would assume so, since FDNY continues to award Seagrave contracts.

While waiting in line at the wake for FDNY FF Daniel Pujdak, 5 spare rigs stopped to let its memebers run in and run out if this tells you anything. I'm up on the main land so I can't comment on the entire FDNY but this is what I saw in during a 3 hour time period in another borough. Furthermore you will usually see at least one spare shopping on Arthur Ave everyday.

It's pretty bad when there aren't enough spare tower ladders(Late 80's early 90's Macks and Mid 90's Seagraves) to keep up with the number of them breaking down. Up until Saturday night(my last tour) TL-44 was driving a rearmount, TL-51 was driving a RM and then got a spare TL(75 footer) and TL-58 was driving a TL-spare. Last week, TL-107 was also driving a rear mount spare. The job I buffed Sunday, 64 Engine had a spare(regular rig can't be more than 2 years old) Squad 61 was also driving a spare. I believe it might have been another reserve Squad. So I think that sums it up for ya Seth.

PS BRING BACK THE MACKS!!!!!! Or, see if ALF can make a modernized Century, or an Eagle that doesn't take out apparatus doors at older firehouses.

Edited by JBE

We rolled around that damn spare so long I forgot we had a new Engine. Warranty repairs aside if the dept would give our mechanics a decent shop to work in we'd have half the issues we have. True, the trucks aren't built like they use to and more and more crap that we use to be able to handle in house has to go out under warranty, but I think segrave is the best thing going.

Edited by partyrock

Our 2002 Seagrave rearmount is a P.O.S. it has been O.O.S. for 4 months now and is not expected back anytime soon. There was a period not to long ago that all of northern manhattan was operating with spare aerial/tower ladders. I dont know if its the rigs or the people fixing them but it is a real disgrace.

Maybe time to move to Peirce if they could handle it. It seems the LAFD likes them and my experience with them has been great. I miss you 19-2-3.

Peirce wanted nothing to do with the contracts for FDNY Pumpers. Not sure about the trucks. Last thing they bid on was the Rescues.

I'm curious to find out what parts are failing on these rigs. My guess most are electrical components. I repair and restore antique trucks and fire appartus. Todays rigs are safer, more powerful, and easier to opperate. But that comes with more electronics on the rigs, in the form of electronic engine management, (ECM), anti lock brakes (ABS), and all kind of sensors and proximity switches on aerial devices. If a component fails the device may not work or have limeted performance. All appartus manufactures use these components. In a car or even an over the road truck with the eception of the aerial these componets work fine. On fire appartus they are subject to abuse (getting wet, bounced around, and stepped on, ect) Older rigs had mechanical relief valves, throttle controlls that connected directly to the rigs engine, and aerial controlls that were directly connected to the aerial's hydraulic system . If something failed there was a good chance the problem could be fixed in the field to get you through the job and perminently repaired in the firehouse or department shops. Todays Mechanic (Technician) needs a clean well lit and equiped shop and expensive diagnostic equipment to do these repairs as well as many hours of training . As time goes on just like your car many repairs will have to be performed by the dealer. In my opinion all appartus manufactures have these issues.

Edited by car11

A new, modern, expanded shop would be great for FDNY, as well as possibly increasing training. I know LA City shops are authorized to handle certain warranty work themselves, and get reimbursed by ALF, Pierce, and Seagrave for it.

They are also looking at building a new facility, in which all 4 major companies that provide apparatus to the city (ALF, Pierce, Seagrave, Wheeled Coach) would have space to do warranty work in house with the vendor providing the staffing.

I'm curious to find out what parts are failing on these rigs. My guess most are electrical components. I repair and restore antique trucks and fire appartus. Todays rigs are safer, more powerful, and easier to opperate. But that comes with more electronics on the rigs, in the form of electronic engine management, (ECM), anti lock brakes (ABS), and all kind of sensors and proximity switches on aerial devices. If a component fails the device may not work or have limeted performance. All appartus manufactures use these components. In a car or even an over the road truck with the eception of the aerial these componets work fine. On fire appartus they are subject to abuse (getting wet, bounced around, and stepped on, ect) Older rigs had mechanical relief valves, throttle controlls that connected directly to the rigs engine, and aerial controlls that were directly connected to the aerial's hydraulic system . If something failed there was a good chance the problem could be fixed in the field to get you through the job and perminently repaired in the firehouse or department shops. Todays Mechanic (Technician) needs a clean well lit and equiped shop and expensive diagnostic equipment to do these repairs as well as many hours of training . As time goes on just like your car many repairs will have to be performed by the dealer. In my opinion all appartus manufactures have these issues.

I'm no expert but when you think about the number of runs these things do - and the streets they do them over ..... compare that to your average volunteer fire truck, I'm sure that they take one hell of a beating, now of course with all the electronics it does make it hell of a lot harder to fix anything :rolleyes:

THe ALF's were hated.

They had only one ALF Eagle former E-34 correct?????

I'm no expert but when you think about the number of runs these things do - and the streets they do them over ..... compare that to your average volunteer fire truck, I'm sure that they take one hell of a beating, now of course with all the electronics it does make it hell of a lot harder to fix anything :rolleyes:

Even compared to the average paid department I haven't seen anyone that beats on their rigs more. Maybe someone on here knows of a worse combination or mileage, weather, and road conditions, but I haven't seen it in Boston, DC, Chicago, Houston, or LA.

THe ALF's were hated.

That was something I didn't know. Maybe the city could ask the brothers to the north in Yonkers how the Eagles are holding up for them.

As far as Pierce is concerned, I don't know if the city would be willing to shell out the money even if Pierce wanted some action here.

Edited by JBE

JBE,

BRING BACK THE MACKS!!!!!!

I 2nd that Brother!

During the 1980's we had over 80 ALF pumpers delivered all were disliked by members. For various reasons, some companies took spare Macks back as regular rigs. The lone ALF we have now is on Governors Island . Formally E-34