Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

PO Timoshenko Promoted To Detective

8 posts in this topic

Russel Timoshenko

Read the Timoshenko family’s letter

On the day their only son was promoted posthumously to the rank of detective, the family of hero cop Russel Timoshenko released a heartfelt letter thanking everyone who supported them during their "unbearable" ordeal.

"We would like to thank all of the people of New York and the entire nation who prayed with us, shared the burden of our grief and who reached out to us in any way that they could," the family wrote. "Thank you for your endless support."

"Our memories of Russel will not only stay in our hearts, but also in the hearts of all of the people of New York for whom Russel fought to protect and ultimately sacrificed his life for," the parents added.

"We have always been proud of everything Russel has done and we wish we can tell him how extremely proud we are of him today."

The heartbreaking, hand-written missive - given by the officer's parents, Tatyana and Leonid Timoshenko, to the Daily News - singles out the doctors and nurses at Kings County Hospital "who frantically tried to save Russel."

The family also thanked their clergymen, police union leaders Michael Palladino and Patrick Lynch, and NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly. The three-page letter also praises NYPD officers, particularly "the few who became part of our family over the past few weeks."

"Without your help and support, we do not know how we could have made it through this."

Though it was 18 months ago that they were celebrating Russel's graduation from the Police Academy, "it seemed like only yesterday we were taking pictures with him in his new uniform in front of Madison Square Garden," the family wrote. "The whole family was proud of him and came to share this special occasion," the letter reads.

Yesterday, Russel Timoshenko's loved ones gathered again, this time dressed in black and wearing 71st Precinct pins, to honor the promotion of their fallen son, cousin and hero.

Kelly promoted Timoshenko, 23, to the rank of first-grade detective in an emotional ceremony. The promotion guarantees his family greater death benefits.

The hundreds of cops in attendance erupted in applause when Timoshenko's parents were called to the stage inside Police Headquarters.

Tatyana Timoshenko led her husband to the podium, where they accepted their slain son's new detective shield from Kelly.

"Mr. and Mrs. Timoshenko, your son's devotion to duty, his strength and his resolve will never be forgotten by this police department," Kelly said. "His example will stand as a monument for all of us."

Timoshenko's partner, Herman Yan, 26, also was promoted to the rank of detective for his "courageous performance under fire," Kelly said.

Yan and Timoshenko were shot during a routine traffic stop in Prospect Lefferts Gardens on July 9. After Timoshenko was shot in the face, a wounded Yan returned fire at the three suspects in a stolen BMW. Timoshenko died five days later. Yan's bulletproof vest saved his life.

"I was proud of him before. Now I'm even more proud," Tatyana Timoshenko told The News. "It was a difficult ceremony. It was a celebration for everyone. But it was a tragedy for us."

I think that it is great the CITY does this for their FALLEN OFFICERS. When I first began to read the story I started to think if my job would do the same thing for me and my family.

I also started to think if the City or any other jobs just promoted a person because they were injured doing their duties. We are all trained to do the "JOB". I am not sure how I would take being promoted just because I was injured. I would also wonder what my co-workers would say behind my back. I am sure that other PO's have waited alot longer than 18months to be promoted.

I don't want to sound bitter in anyway. These guys put there lives on the line and 1 was killed and 1 was injured. How many others has this happened to that weren't promoted?

I also started to think if the City or any other jobs just promoted a person because they were injured doing their duties. We are all trained to do the "JOB". I am not sure how I would take being promoted just because I was injured. I would also wonder what my co-workers would say behind my back. I am sure that other PO's have waited alot longer than 18months to be promoted.

I'm not sure I would want or take a promotion in this situation. You're correct, what kind of ill will does this cause between the promoted officer and his comrades? And the question arises regarding the promoted officer's qualifications, or will it be more on the job training? Each case would be different, but I wouldn't want to be in anyone's shoes in a situation like this.

Do the spouses get a pension based on the deceased posthumous rank and pay? If so, that is a huge boost in pay for the survivors.

That is why he was promoted too boost his PENSION.

I attended the NYC academy with Police Officer Enchautegui in 2002, and I also attended his funeral in 2005. Police Officer Enchautegui was killed while taking police action while off duty in an attempt to stop a burglary. He too was promoted posthumously to the rank of Detective. Shortly thereafter he was posthumously awarded the Department's highest award, the Medal of Honor. Both the promotion and receipt of the Medal of Honor was fitting and deserved for Officer Enchautegui, please view the link below to read about this brave officer.

I also believe PO Timoshenko deserved this recognition of promotion. He took the job at a pay scale of about $25,000 and gave his life doing his job! Regardless of pay however, it is truly fitting for an officer's family to receive some sort of acknowledgment from the Police Department recognizing their loved one's service.

Police Officer Enchautegui

I'm not sure I would want or take a promotion in this situation. You're correct, what kind of ill will does this cause between the promoted officer and his comrades? And the question arises regarding the promoted officer's qualifications, or will it be more on the job training? Each case would be different, but I wouldn't want to be in anyone's shoes in a situation like this.

Considering that these promotions are posthumous, I don't think you'd have much to say about it. This token gesture provides some additional financial support to the family but no amount of money can erase their grief.

The article mentioned nothing about his partner being promoted - he will hopefully get taken care of in some other way.

As for our PD's taking care of our families in the same situation, I can only hope so!!!

Timoshenko's partner, Herman Yan, 26, also was promoted to the rank of detective for his "courageous performance under fire," Kelly said

There ya go.

Timoshenko's partner, Herman Yan, 26, also was promoted to the rank of detective for his "courageous performance under fire," Kelly said

There ya go.

Good! The NYPD has been doing it that way for years!