Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

little black box

6 posts in this topic

I dont remember if i read about this or saw it on tv, but that little black box that holds all the vital info about your vehicle is not yours although you bought the vehicle it is placed in. A guy tried to use the info against the car manufacturer and a court declared it belonged to the manufacturer of the car. I find it unbelievable that you buy a car and you dont own the black box that could be used against you but not to clear you say if the brakes failed due to a defect.

if anybody knows different please let me and everybody else here know

Be very aware that info down to the second is recorded as we just read about on the other thread. slow down, buckle up, and as officers on a responding apparatus if you are the one screaming go thru the light or go faster its your a$$ also if you dont stop the driver from acting that way guess what it is your a$$ again.

Being an officer is a whole lot about responsibility in this day and age not just the white front piece

I dont remember if i read about this or saw it on tv, but that little black box that holds all the vital info about your vehicle is not yours although you bought the vehicle it is placed in. A guy tried to use the info against the car manufacturer and a court declared it belonged to the manufacturer of the car. I find it unbelievable that you buy a car and you dont own the black box that could be used against you but not to clear you say if the brakes failed due to a defect.

if anybody knows different please let me and everybody else here know

Be very aware that info down to the second is recorded as we just read about on the other thread. slow down, buckle up, and as officers on a responding apparatus if you are the one screaming go thru the light or go faster its your a$$ also if you dont stop the driver from acting that way guess what it is your a$$ again.

Being an officer is a whole lot about responsibility in this day and age not just the white front piece

It's not so much as it does not belong to you (legally it would have to), but it can be subpoenaed by the police to investigate an accident/incident. In that aspect you have no legal right to deny the investigator the right to inspect it.

if its in my own personal vehicle, and i dont have any right to it or access to it, then it's going to get removed in short order, public safety vehicles on the other hand, its probbaly not a bad idea, as we are held to a higher standard then the average citizen, maybe we need a reminder of that on occasion

Wouldn't this fall under the "black box" that airplanes have for consistency? I don't believe that they belong to the airline flying the plane but to the manufacturer as well. And then of course to the NTSB/FAA when a plane crashes. So just cause it is in your car does not mean it is yours. If you have ezpass, you do not own the little "white box" which also tracks data...of course only while going through tolls. That item belongs to the sub-contractor for NYS that runs ezpass. As well it records date, time, and speed thru plaza during use. And when a photo is snapped of your auto when traveling through the plaza it is linked to your ezpass number so they can see what car went through easier. Or at least that is what the privacy agreement said when I read it...yeah I read it so what?

On another note, what cars come with the little "black box"? We just took delivery of a 2007 Pilot and they did not mention such item being present at all. I wouldn't even know where to look. Or is it just the computer that runs the car that is recording the data?

ez pass i have a choice to have it in my car or not i remember the point of the story was the owner tried to use it to his advantage and a judge sided with the car company thats what made it stick in my head and i dont know if it is a box or tied into the onboard computer

im figuring it is tied into the on board computer.