Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BIGRED1

SCBA Face Piece fogging

10 posts in this topic

I am having some issues with the scott scba face pieces. they fog up to the point that i can even see infront of me. anyone got any remedies for this problem?

How old is the mask that you are using? If you are using a newer mask, the nose cone should seal well so that your nose and mouth aren't expelling warm gasses onto the plexi glass which as the weather gets cooler, will fog faster due to the difference in the temp of you exhaling and the temp on the outside of the glass. They make different size masks for different size faces today. I would confirm that you are using the right size mask. If it's a Scott, check with Matt @ AAA in N.W.P.

In the meantime if you get into a situation where you cant see due to fog in the mask, turn on the manual purge valve that is attached to your regulator. It will blow cool air through out your mask and reduce the interior temp on the plexiglass and eliminate the fog. You will have to do this periodically to continue to stay fog free.

The best solution is a proper fitting mask though. This will eliminate much of the fogging as well as the need to waste valuable air on defogging.

Edward Smith

Captain (2254)

Millwood Fire Company

In addition, it is not uncommon to get actual condensation inside the mask itself from a change in temperature. Much like a car's windshield when you get condensation vs. interior fogging. You can tell the difference between fogging and the condensation when it occurs. The purge valve will not always clear this as it is a much larger water droplet that can form. Best bet is to deal with it, until you can wipe it off. I actually had an instance where I after using it once, I donned it again and got a splash of water that built up in the bottom of the mask and regulator. As mfc said, if you are getting fogging from respiration, check your mask over well. If all else fails, contact your local SCOTT dealer rep and ask what they propose as far as possible using an anti-fog solution.

I have found Survivair's SCBA's are far superior than Scots !!!

Is that a personal opinion because you've worn the Survivair Pak more then the Scott Pak? or is it based on repair costs, ease of use, reliability, and durability?

It's not a very common piece of equipment around here. I am interested in your response. :-k

Stay low and keep safe.

Another trick from both SCUBA/Snorkeling and Paintballing: Get some antifog. You might be able to find it a local CVS. Or take a mixture of Liquid Soap and water and wipe the inside of your mask with it. The soap solution is relatively temporary but works well for fogging. Don't know if it will help with the condensation issues als mentioned.

another remedy, sounds gross. If you have your own mask, that only you use, spit in the plexi part and wipe it in there and then just dap it out with a paper towel. Thats an old scuba trick. You dont need to spend 20 dollars on anti-fog liquids.

20 bux? I dunno where you shop but i got a nice size antifog gel for 4 bux at a SCUBA shop. And like I said, you can just use a combo of water and liquid soap.

I have used anti fog wipes, and good stuff like that, they dont seem to work, Honestly i just deal with it, its a part of fire fighting. Spiiting might work. ill have to let you know thanx for the tip.

You can also try some hair shampoo, that works well also, and I am sure everyone has some of that around.