Future Fireman

Brand New Truck Covered In Blood

9 posts in this topic

Kentucky Chief and Ladder Incident Investigated

Updated: 08-08-2007 04:24:57 PM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

Shelly Whitehead

The Cincinnati Post

An assistant chief in a Northern Kentucky fire department had been drinking in the hours before fellow firefighters found him standing on the aerial ladder platform of a broken and blood- covered $700,000 fire truck, where a non-firefighter was seriously hurt, according to an in-house investigative report.

Assistant Chief Frank Hicks of the Crescent Springs-Villa Hills Fire Department was fired three days after the incident, which authorities said occurred about 2:30 a.m. July 21 at the Overlook Drive firehouse. In a letter terminating Hicks, Fire Chief Jeff Wendt said Hicks disobeyed a July 20 order prohibiting department personnel from operating the costly new aerial truck, which had been delivered that day for an open house July 22.

But in an investigative report of the incident, which Wendt sent to city leaders Friday, the chief stated that Hicks had also been drinking in the hours before firefighters found him standing outside on the bloody vehicle with its 110-foot ladder extended above the firehouse roof.

"At 3:30 a.m. I received a call at my home from Firefighter George Bruns," Wendt's report states. "George stated that 'You need to come to the firehouse immediately; there is blood on the new ladder truck and it was sitting outside' -- Firefighter (Ryan) Atwood stated that when dispatched for a fire run they witnessed Assistant Chief Hicks standing on the platform of the ladder -- (which) was extended over the building with all the lights on. -- When I looked over the truck, the rear platform was covered in blood. -- It was apparent that some damage had occurred to the ladder."

Authorities have not identified the injured man, but said he was not a member of the 80-person department. Villa Hills Mayor Mike Sadouskas said he was informed that the man was taken to a hospital and underwent surgery, but the exact nature of his injuries or how they occurred has not been disclosed. Wendt's report only states that Hicks "put a non-firefighter's life in danger by allowing him to climb a ladder that he had never been trained on."

Wendt told city leaders that he spoke to Hicks just before 4 a.m. the morning the incident occurred, but received few answers. In that conversation, Hicks identified the injured man only as "Tony," Wendt said.

The report states that Hicks not only violated Wendt's orders against operating the truck, but also departmental policies against operating fire vehicles less than eight hours after drinking alcohol.

Hicks, a 19-year veteran of the department, has refused to comment on the case. Department personnel have referred all questions to Crescent-Villa Fire Authority Attorney Steven Martin. Martin provided copies of the investigative report and Hicks' personnel file to The Post in response to an Open Records Act request.

Those documents shed little light, however, on what precipitated the incident and why the injured man was not taken to the hospital by ambulance. If that had been done, Crescent Springs police would have been called to the scene and officers would likely have filed a report concerning the incident.

Instead, the fire department alone has investigated the incident involving its own members and equipment, which was being purchased by the Crescent Villa Fire Authority. Crescent Springs Mayor Jim Collett -- a Fire Authority board member -- said he has no problem with the department investigating the incident and he is satisfied with results. Collett said all injury and property damage claims have been sent to the insurance companies and he considers the case resolved.

"To date, I'm satisfied with what's occurred," Collett said.

:blink::blink::o

Uh...yeah...no. Sorry, but PD should be all over this like white on rice. Intox + bloodied rig + significant trauma to merit surgery = serious legal/police/criminal matter and should be investigated as such. This in-house "investigation" shouldn't cut it.

Uh...yeah...no. Sorry, but PD should be all over this like white on rice. Intox + bloodied rig + significant trauma to merit surgery = serious legal/police/criminal matter and should be investigated as such. This in-house "investigation" shouldn't cut it.

Amen to that one, Goose!!! That guy shouldn't just be fired without a FULL police investigation. He should be held civilly AND criminally liable

so we have a bloody ladder, a drunk chief, and a injured civilian. sounds alot like the plot from a episode of "Rescue Me". how is this not being investigated by real cops? i am sure they will do a fine job but i would think that insurance company's would want a little more in-depth investigation then this.

Instead, the fire department alone has investigated the incident involving its own members and equipment, which was being purchased by the Crescent Villa Fire Authority. Crescent Springs Mayor Jim Collett -- a Fire Authority board member -- said he has no problem with the department investigating the incident and he is satisfied with results. Collett said all injury and property damage claims have been sent to the insurance companies and he considers the case resolved.

"To date, I'm satisfied with what's occurred," Collett said.

I agree with what's been posted, major traumatic injuries requiring surgery, and no police involvement?? This smells as bad as that financial mess with the Vollies in the Bronx

How can the PD not be involved in this?! That is INSANE!

I will be watching this story for developments, sounds like another case where drinking around the firehouse has resulted in another disaster.

I read that article twice and I'm still not sure what went on. Bizarre.

:o:o Dang thats screwed up, like the others said WTH were the cops?

Either this is a really insane joke (prank), or what we have here is the greatest firehouse cover up of the century.

Edited by nutty1