Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Nathan's In Yonkers May Close!

10 posts in this topic

According to an article in today's "Journal News", they imply that the Nathan's on Central Ave. in Yonkers (the third Nathans store ever and the perfect place for a Post 13 10-27) may close because of the valuable real estate it sits on. It's a 100,00 sqaure feet hot dog stand, basically. With a locally-famous arcade.

Here's a snippet:

It's the third Nathan's in history. It's a landmark in Yonkers. It's one of the biggest hot-dog stands in the world. And it's one of the last tastes of a time when anyone would even think about building a frankfurter emporium - let alone build it.

Still, 10,000 prime square feet are a lot for a latter-day food court, and there's serious talk of putting them to more cost-effective use.

In short, the historic emporium will eventually be history. But even when the building goes, Nathan's reportedly will stay.

"We've been here for a long time, and we intend to be here for a much longer time," says Bruce Miller, a director of operations. "We're determined to stay in Yonkers. It may not be in this location, but it will be in this area."

And a link to the main article:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../708150303/1031

I practically grew up there. When I was a kid my mother would bring me there every other weekend and give me a roll of quarters to burn through. I certainly hope it doesn't go and if it does, I'll be profoundly disappointed.

I liked Post 55! lol

Nathans and then Carvel right up the road.

:D

Once again we are faced with the removal of another Landmark for what? ANOTHER MALL OR TWO? IT SEEMS LIKE $$$$$$$$$$ Is just more valuable than History :angry:

Where are all the kids gonna bring there cars now to drag race and do burnouts? Thursday nights was one of the best local carshows around

WOW THE FEW GOOD CHILDHOOD MEMORIES I HAVE WERE AT NATHANS WHEN MY FATHER WOULD GET HOME ON FRIDAY NIGHTS IT WAS GUYS NIGHT OUT FOR ME AND MY BROTHER IT WAS A ROLL OF QUARTERS THAT ACTUALLY LASTED MOST OF THE NIGHT 2 HOT DOGS A ROOT BEER AND THEN WE WOULD GET A BANANNA CREME PIE TO TAKE HOME....

I wonder what Takeru Kobyashi has to say about this, lol.

You know, I find it despicable that my namesake will be lost!!

Well, I guess you'll have to open a franchise in East Fishkill! Then you could call it Nathan's Nathan's?????????

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!