Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD750

Know where your hydrants are.

17 posts in this topic

I was driving around my response area and came across this... what I think is a rather interesting picture,Just wanted to share it. First time I've seen a hydrant all "dressed up"!

post-1848-1187231594.jpg

Edited by HFD750

The best is when your doing hydrant maintenance and put the flowers...roots and all on the front step after you pull them out. Then when they call and complain you can always tell them well since your so adament about the flowers your admitting to growing around the hydrant in front of your house I'll have the codes department come right by with your summons.

The best is when your doing hydrant maintenance and put the flowers...roots and all on the front step after you pull them out. Then when they call and complain you can always tell them well since your so adament about the flowers your admitting to growing around the hydrant in front of your house I'll have the codes department come right by with your summons.

And then delete them from your fund drive mailing list and hope you don't need their vote for the new firehouse.

Yeah this person isn't too happy with me right now... Made them clear the area around the hydrant. The homeowner told me "I pay taxes in this town I'm making the street look better" Then the homeowner told me " I'll be calling the mayor about this'

And then delete them from your fund drive mailing list and hope you don't need their vote for the new firehouse.

Something tells me I really would care less about this...if I actually had to worry about it. I sincerely hope that things like this would be overlooked. If they can't get why they shouldn't be growing a garden around the hydrant in front...something tells me they won't be coming out for any vote. And if where I work we did fund drive mailings...I'd put the stamp on their envelope.

HFD...lol...been there bro. I love the "I pay taxes" and the "my taxes pay your salary" lines. I always say..."really...can I call you later...I really need a raise."

Something tells me I really would care less about this...if I actually had to worry about it. I sincerely hope that things like this would be overlooked. If they can't get why they shouldn't be growing a garden around the hydrant in front...something tells me they won't be coming out for any vote. And if where I work we did fund drive mailings...I'd put the stamp on their envelope.

HFD...lol...been there bro. I love the "I pay taxes" and the "my taxes pay your salary" lines. I always say..."really...can I call you later...I really need a raise."

:lol: lol...I'll have to remember that line ALS!! I dont understand what these people are thinking...dont they realise that if there is a call on their block, were going to mess up their pretty flowers anyway??? And if its at their neighbors house, are they going to submit the bill for the flowers to their neighbors? What are people thinking of these days....other than themselves!!! :P

Stay safe

Moose

Yeah I hear ya ALS...lol. Now I'm just waiting to see if I get that phone call... Some people... <_<

Yeah I hear ya ALS...lol. Now I'm just waiting to see if I get that phone call... Some people... <_<

I can imagine this is how it will go.

answering machine: Hello, you have reached HFD please leave a message after the beep. BEEEP!!

Lady: "You J@ck@ss! you made me tear up my beautiful plants just so you could see your hydrant. Well, I think that THAT hydrant was the most ugly looking thing I've ever seen in my life. My taxes pay for your stuff, so just shut up and do your job! Your lucky I haven't contacted an attorney yet. I'll sue you for all your worth and soon enough your trucks will be in my driveway!

:P:lol:

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

This is what is referred to as a "teachable moment." Someone has either done something, or said something that has afforded you the opportunity to educate them. You have a choice on how to teach this particular person. Clearly, something needs to be done. Access to hydrants needs to be open and easy.

So, what path will make a friend? What path will make an enemy? What path will make you feel better? Who exactly took the time to beautify this plug. Clearly there was some effort made. We may think that hydrants are mannah from heaven, but I can assure you that the general public doesn't think so as a rule.

How much more effort would it be to knock on their door, professionally dressed, and talk to the person who did this? Thank them for their efforts for the community and explain how seconds can count if theirs or their neighbors house was on fire and water was needed. Explain that your pumps/wagons/engines on hold enough water for 3-5 minutes of firefighting and you need that water, badly.

What do you think the outcome will be bewteen these different paths?

Anyone who knows me knows I am usually as subtle as a chainsaw. I always thought that going to work for the fire service would mean complete job security and the ability to tell even more people to f^*$ off.

As you may have guessed, I am changing my tune slightly.

And, I am not saying I would be that noble, but its an option and I am trying...

i say when you get a call for their house, and the whole family is standing outsize make a huge deal walking around going where's the hydrant i can't see it

I once saw a Fire Hydrant burried in bushes painted dark green to match the bush.

No way you would ever find that.

DANGEROUS!

This is what is referred to as a "teachable moment." Someone has either done something, or said something that has afforded you the opportunity to educate them. You have a choice on how to teach this particular person. Clearly, something needs to be done. Access to hydrants needs to be open and easy.

So, what path will make a friend? What path will make an enemy? What path will make you feel better? Who exactly took the time to beautify this plug. Clearly there was some effort made. We may think that hydrants are mannah from heaven, but I can assure you that the general public doesn't think so as a rule.

How much more effort would it be to knock on their door, professionally dressed, and talk to the person who did this? Thank them for their efforts for the community and explain how seconds can count if theirs or their neighbors house was on fire and water was needed. Explain that your pumps/wagons/engines on hold enough water for 3-5 minutes of firefighting and you need that water, badly.

What do you think the outcome will be bewteen these different paths?

Anyone who knows me knows I am usually as subtle as a chainsaw. I always thought that going to work for the fire service would mean complete job security and the ability to tell even more people to f^*$ off.

As you may have guessed, I am changing my tune slightly.

And, I am not saying I would be that noble, but its an option and I am trying...

why piss people off if you don't have to. before reading the whole thread ,Iwas going to write what was said above, but he has said better than I. If they give you trouble go for it, but give them the benefit.

Why trash something just to trash it and piss them off. why look for trouble. there is enough out there with out have to create more.

Have a good day

Larry

Old people aren't teachable, neither are civilians for that matter (LOL). I understand where Stat is coming from but I just don't think these people will even listen. How many times do I tell someone that 911 is for emergencies, give them the correct phone number, 10 minutes later there they are again, "The dog is still barking", on 911!!!!! Just right him the summons! Lot easier for a Judge to say, "pay the fine and that will teach you a lesson!"

Well I never received that phone call from the mayor... Needless to say the hydrant is still covered. I guess I'll have to go to the code office monday morning.

The Fall before last I saw a hydrant that was covered with a pile of leaves that had fallen from the trees. The only way you would know a hydrant was there was because it had a snow stick attached to it.

There is a picture on the net somewhere that shows a tree that actually grew around a hydrant. Talk about neglected.