HomeTeam Helps Mount Vernon PD ESU Officer

7 posts in this topic

HomeTeam TV Show Helps Mount Vernon PD ESU Officer

PO Valdez

http://ht-tv.com/

Matthew and Stephanie Valdez

New York, NY

Original Air Date: February 2007

On his way to the Jets game, New York police officer Matthew Valdez was called back to duty and sent to investigate a screaming woman, holding a young child.

He never expected that the woman would be screaming with joy. Or that she would look so familiar. "Wait, that's my wife!" Matthew said.

He also had no idea how significant the scene of this 'crime' would be; with a little help (and misdirection) from HomeTeam, Matthew had been dispatched to a very special new address—his own.

His wife Stephanie, holding their 6-month-old child, was looking at the three-story dream house her friends and family helped HomeTeam renovate, and she was screaming because she realized it was her new home.

"Things like this only happen to other people," Stephanie said. "This is amazing. We would have never been able to get this."

The family had been looking for a home in the Mount Vernon neighborhood, but weren't able to find a place they could afford. Matthew served the Mount Vernon area in the prestigious Emergency Services Unit (ESU), but his family was still living in a cramped, basement apartment in Brooklyn—he was commuting two hours and spending $18 daily on tolls.

HomeTeam and the city of Mount Vernon wanted to recognize Matthew for the devotion he's shown to his country. He's served in some of our nation's most difficult times. In response to the attacks of September 11, 2001, Matthew's National Guard Unit was sent to Ground Zero to help maintain order. He then re-enlisted and headed overseas to serve in Iraq, where within a few weeks, his unit was attacked and members and close friends were lost.

HomeTeam received help from Mount Vernon officials, and from over 60 of Matthew's friends and relatives to renovate the home and orchestrate the surprise—but they couldn't keep the officer fooled for long.

"When I saw everyone there, I pieced it together," Matthew said. "I was blown away!"

A special note to viewers.

The Valdez family's episode of HomeTeam originally aired on WABC-TV Channel 7 on Saturday, February 17th, 2007 from 7-8 p.m. -- HomeTeam was the #1 show for that time period in New York!

This is more than 6 months old...

I just saw it on TV at 1 AM last night.

Didn't know anything about it or how old or new.

It was really nice what they did!

Saw some old school Empress people in the video.

Is there any truth to the rumor that he turned it down? I think the payments were out of his range or something.

In a week of bad news a ray of sunshine. Thanks for sharing.

Is there any truth to the rumor that he turned it down? I think the payments were out of his range or something.

The show was only paying for the first year of the mortgage. With his having a child and his wife not having a job, the cost of the mortgage was still too much.

So the efforts of all these people went to what? Is the home at least sold and the profits given to the family?