Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

Darien FD Twin Engines

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone shed any light on how Darien Fire Department was able to purchase identical and I am sure, expensive, engines??? I mean, kudos to them for getting that accomplished, but I just don't see how a town would buy 1 department 2 brand new engines. Maybe they got a grant or something???

By the way. they are really pretty trucks...

We need to get that purchasing agent a job in Norwalk!!!

JC

As far as I know, one of the engines was bought with money raised through donations, and the other was bought through the town apparatus replacement budget.

As far as I know, one of the engines was bought with money raised through donations, and the other was bought through the town apparatus replacement budget.

that is correct, i think engine 42 is owned by the town and engine 41 is owned by DFD

One has to question the prudency of buying 2 identical engines for a department that has a relatively light call load...couldn't those funds be used on other important department needs?

the engines that they replaced were very old and worn out mack cf's, engine 41 was a 1975 with a refurb in 89, while engine 42 was a 1984. Darien has the largest district in town and the most runs(they also cover i95) these engines saw allot of use and they needed to be replaced. DFD has the largest checkbook in town (if u get my drift)

E42, first due to boxes, goes out about 450 times a year, and was bought with private funds that have been accrued over many years. It is owned by the fire company. E41 was purchased by the town, and is equipped as a highway pumper.

We hope they last 20 years. They're great machines.

The only trouble with buying two pieces at the same time is that you have to replace them at the same time. Other then that, NICE RIGS.

Nice shots all around! Thanks for sharing!

-Joe DA BUFF

Thanks for the links, guys. Nice shots.

E42, first due to boxes, goes out about 450 times a year, and was bought with private funds that have been accrued over many years. It is owned by the fire company. E41 was purchased by the town, and is equipped as a highway pumper.

We hope they last 20 years. They're great machines.

450 runs a year is a light call load, just like JCoppola referred to in his post. With that kind of call volume if they don't last 20 yrs, there has to be something wrong.

I doubt those Macks were worn out as someone stated, and 450 runs is not a heavy call volume. Add another zero maybe.

I doubt those Macks were worn out as someone stated, and 450 runs is not a heavy call volume. Add another zero maybe.

Word on the street reports that the DFD is looking at replacing the aerialscope with a new truck other than a aerialscope??

I can not doubt the Darien Fire Departments apparatus and there function.

But what I can say is that there personel are excellent firefighters and good guys.

I am just woundering, if someone could anwser some questions that I have.

1. With an all volunteer deparment, is the house still covered 24/7?

2. What is the response times for 2nd due apparatus(mainly their recent barn fire)?

3. How many active members?

I am just woundering how that all volunteer department operates?

Thanks

STAY SAFE........TRAIN HARD!!

Edited by ncfire100

Word on the street reports that the DFD is looking at replacing the aerialscope with a new truck other than a aerialscope??

Why don't they just REFURB it again...Interstate does such quality work...haha

(I am being sarcastic and my BFD friends know why)

JVC

I can not doubt the Darien Fire Departments apparatus and there function.

But what I can say is that there personel are excellent firefighters and good guys.

I am just woundering, if someone could anwser some questions that I have.

1. With an all volunteer deparment, is the house still covered 24/7?

2. What is the response times for 2nd due apparatus(mainly their recent barn fire)?

3. How many active members?

I am just woundering how that all volunteer department operates?

Thanks

I cannot speak for Darien, other than the fact that I did some teaching there in the past and I always found their people to be very good and highly dedicated. We run into them on the thruway now and then and that is always a positive experience. And...they have awesome taste in fire apparatus. I was VERY impressed with the look of the new Pierce's.

Lets not lump up a good department, we know all 100% volly departments have their issues with manning stations and getting rigs out at certain times of the day/night. And while we are on the subject...why was NORWALK not invited to the barn conflagration last night...we could practically smell the smoke...LOL

um they wanted to play alone in the sand box the other-night, they did not invite the heights or Noroton but when i went down to take a look, they did not need us. they made a good stop, and since the had a engine on that road for a transformer fire the response couldn't get any quicker.

um they wanted to play alone in the sand box the other-night, they did not invite the heights or Noroton but when i went down to take a look, they did not need us. they made a good stop, and since the had a engine on that road for a transformer fire the response couldn't get any quicker.

Thats okay, we get enough action without going out of town...YEAH RIGHT!

Thats okay, we get enough action without going out of town...YEAH RIGHT!

Hey at least well play with you guys nicely on the water

Edited by sr71

Why don't they just REFURB it again...Interstate does such quality work...haha

(I am being sarcastic and my BFD friends know why)

JVC

Joe the only difference is that at least TL-45 has seen some fire duty being an ex FDNY rig. It has seen a heck of a lot more fire duty than Darien's tower ladder. Even the boom on the tower ladder (FDNY TL-23, a 1998 Seagrave/Aerialscope) pictured in my profile sees more time in the air during one winter in Harlem than Darien's tower ladder has seen since they bought it new back in the early 1970's.

Edited by FDNY99