Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

IBM Fire Brigade?

14 posts in this topic

About an hour ago I thought I heard "IBM Car 2671" request a radio test. Anyone have any additional info on if I heard this correctly?

I know in Poughkeepsie, IBM has what they call "emergency control." I think they fulfill a wide range of jobs from security, EMS and suppression.

I work for IBM Emergency Control. I'm not sure about what Westchester has, I'm assuming the Somers site. We have a 24-7 staff of Firefighter/EMTs trained in Haz-Mat and Confined Space rescue. We also issue CS permits and perform inspections and tests of fire alarms, sprinkler systems, hydrants, etc. Apparatus-wise, we have an engine 97-11, fly car 97-67, utility 97-69 and haz-mat trailer 97-97.

There are a few large IBM sites in Westchester, but the only one with an on-site emergency presence other than contract security guards is the T.J. Watson Research lab in Yorktown Heights. Given the presence of many different hazardous materials within the lab, it makes a lot of sense to have an on-site capability (though, the team most likely would work with the Yorktown Heights Fire Department and other essential agencies in the event of an incident). In addition to the above comment about the Emergency Control team in Poughkeepsie there is another team at IBM's Fishkill facility that at one time ran with two engines, a utility and an ambulance (that's going back about ten years).

In addition to the above comment about the Emergency Control team in Poughkeepsie there is another team at IBM's Fishkill facility that at one time ran with two engines, a utility and an ambulance (that's going back about ten years).

IBM POK E/C had two engines, a rescue, a mini pumper/utility and an ambulance at one point, but as the mother company downsizes...

About an hour ago I thought I heard "IBM Car 2671" request a radio test. Anyone have any additional info on if I heard this correctly?

YES, you heard right 2671 is the Wackenhut fire supervisor (i work for wackenhunt and getting transfered there in a few months) as fair as i know they have an engine and i think they still have the ambulace. they are supposed to be getting a new one from what the head of secuirty has told me.

...there is another team at IBM's Fishkill facility that at one time ran with two engines, a utility and an ambulance (that's going back about ten years).

They now run with 2 engines, 1 utility, and 1 EMS flycar (96-11, 96-13, 96-67, 96-69).

96-11 is a 1980s E-One with a Ford cab/chassis? I believe

96-13 is a 1982 International/VanPelt

96-67 is a 1990s E-one F-series with Box on the back.

IBM EF 96-13

IBM96-13.jpg

YES, you heard right 2671 is the Wackenhut fire supervisor (i work for wackenhunt and getting transfered there in a few months) as fair as i know they have an engine and i think they still have the ambulace. they are supposed to be getting a new one from what the head of secuirty has told me.

What facility in Westchester has the Engine you refer to? Armonk, Yorktown, Hawthorne?

When did EC East Fishkill get rid of there Ambulance. In 2003 when I left there they still had a Ambulance, 2 Engines, 1 Utility, and a Fly Car. Also when IBM had it's Kingston site they had a Engine and a Uility also a Haz Mat Engine and trailer. They in Kingston and East Fishkill have also responded to assist the local fire departments. East Fishkill IBM site has Interstate 84 running right next to it, and has assisted with accidents ect.

When did EC East Fishkill get rid of there Ambulance. In 2003 when I left there they still had a Ambulance, 2 Engines, 1 Utility, and a Fly Car. Also when IBM had it's Kingston site they had a Engine and a Uility also a Haz Mat Engine and trailer. They in Kingston and East Fishkill have also responded to assist the local fire departments. East Fishkill IBM site has Interstate 84 running right next to it, and has assisted with accidents ect.

IBM EF EC got rid of their ambulance not too long after you left (wouldn't be surprised if not VERY immediately after you left).

Because of the short staffing at EF (3 EC and 1 Wackenhut Security Guard/FF, not counting the Fire Brigade members), they try and avoid sending guys and/or apparatus off site. They HAVE in the past sent people out for SERIOUS incidents, but those are VERY few and far between.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

IBM EF EC got rid of their ambulance not too long after you left (wouldn't be surprised if not VERY immediately after you left).

Because of the short staffing at EF (3 EC and 1 Wackenhut Security Guard/FF, not counting the Fire Brigade members), they try and avoid sending guys and/or apparatus off site. They HAVE in the past sent people out for SERIOUS incidents, but those are VERY few and far between.

I haven't seen IBM on I-84 for MVA's etc. when I've been on I-84 for incidents; however we had an MVA a couple of days ago (car down embankment into stream; result little damage and RMA's) and there was barely any water in which it was reported to be in) and I saw IBM's Fly Car on the scene. I do know that when there are accidents on the adjoining Rd's to IBM they respond with there equipment sometimes.. I've seen them many times on scenes.

I haven't seen IBM on I-84 for MVA's etc. when I've been on I-84 for incidents

IBM sent their Foam Tender Engine (96-13) to assist EFFD 5 years ago when there was a tractor trailer full of old tires on their way to be recycled. Long operational period.

I-84 Westbound, about 500 feet West of Lime Kiln Road overpass.

IBM sent their Foam Tender Engine (96-13) to assist EFFD 5 years ago when there was a tractor trailer full of old tires on their way to be recycled. Long operational period.

I-84 Westbound, about 500 feet West of Lime Kiln Road overpass.

Gee thanks "......" see I wouldn't know that considering I wasn't a memeber 5 yrs. ago.. only 4.8 yrs. That's why i said "when" I've been on I-84 for incidents.

There are a few large IBM sites in Westchester, but the only one with an on-site emergency presence other than contract security guards is the T.J. Watson Research lab in Yorktown Heights. Given the presence of many different hazardous materials within the lab, it makes a lot of sense to have an on-site capability (though, the team most likely would work with the Yorktown Heights Fire Department and other essential agencies in the event of an incident). In addition to the above comment about the Emergency Control team in Poughkeepsie there is another team at IBM's Fishkill facility that at one time ran with two engines, a utility and an ambulance (that's going back about ten years).

YHFD is actually going out tonight to have a drill at the T.J. Watson site. I'm in school now, so I am unaware of all the specific details, but it will involve fire with victims trapped. Not sure who is going MA wise, if any at all.