Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfmuller

Daily Fire Service Black Eye

18 posts in this topic

Poughkeepsie Journal Article

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Two arrested on arson charges served as volunteer firefighters

A 16-year-old Town of Poughkeepsie resident arrested on arson charges Wednesday was an Arlington Fire Department volunteer at the time of his arrest, Detective Sgt. Kent Linderholm of the Town of Poughkeepsie Police said this morning.

The 18-year-old Hyde Park man arrested with him was at the time of his arrest a former volunteer with the Roosevelt Fire Department, Linderholm said.

Zachary Ferris of Poughkeepsie and Craig Nash of Hyde Park were arrested on arson charges Wednesday following an investigation by Town of Poughkeepsie Police and the Arlington Fire Department.

The two agencies began investigating suspicious fires that were being set in dumpsters throughout the town, starting in early June.

Ferris and Nash were both charged with eight counts of misdemeanor fifth-degree arson charges and one count of felony fourth-degree arson.

Ferris became an Arlington firefighter March 27. At the time of his arrest, he was a member of Arlington Engine Co. Number 1. The Arlington Fire District is made up four fire companies and about 100 members, less than a dozen of whom are 16.

"We're absolutely appalled that someone who wants to be a firefighter, either volunteer or career, sets off on a path off like this," said Jeffrey Pells deputy chief of the Arlington Fire District. "By no means should that reflect on this fire service at all, but it happens. It happens throughout the nations. And it's not a good thing."

Pells referred questions about any disciplinary action against Ferris to Frank Carlon, an assistant chief with the Arlington Fire Department who represents Engine Co. Number 1. Carlon said he had no comment.

The investigation revealed the two are allegedly responsible for several other fires that were started in Wappingers Falls, Pleasant Valley and Hyde Park, police said.

They would allegedly set fires to dumpsters in both residential and commercial buildings during early morning hours.

In one case, a dumpster located near a residence in the Town of Poughkeepsie caused minor fire damage to the home.

The investigation into the fires is still continuing, and anyone who may have had an unreported similar suspicious fire is encouraged to call a local police agency.

Ferris and Nash were released and are due back in town court Sept. 17.

God, I think its time to not only get a full criminal background check but a pychological evaluation, too.

Well, I noticed that Deputy Chief Pells was cruising this thread, his name popped up at the bottom.

I wish you guys the best of luck in dealing with this! I have a friend who is just applying to volly with AFD, and I hope this will not affect his joining.

full criminal background/full psychological evaluation??? I didn't know they still did that in the fire service!!!! I must be out of the LOOP!

Edited by hudson144

LOL Hudson.

Good job by AFD and TPPD for staying on the ball and getting a conclusion.

Well I have never seen a volunteer f.d. or E.M.S. do a pyschological eval.

I'm pretty sure i heard Arlington go out for a "fire near a structure" on Monday night which was later reported to be a dumpster fire next to a residence.

As in any organization, there are a few that do give them a black eye. It is unfortunate that we can only seek an arson conviction but even doing more may not always catch problems. This does strain any organization. As all, we need qualified volunteers and strive to get them. This will not cease our commitment to find and train any qualified volunteer willing to help.

Thanks to numerous caring and dedicated individuals, both career and volunteer in our organization, we were able to nip this quickly.

BTW the 16 year old if convicted of arson will probably have a sealed record so even an arson conviction will not show in the check.

Jeffrey S. Pells

Deputy Chief

Arlington FD

“Omnis Cedo Domus”

BTW the 16 year old if convicted of arson will probably have a sealed record so even an arson conviction will not show in the check.

Just one question, if he is convicted of arson that means that since his record will be sealed that he could either be hired by a paid department, or allowed to revolunteer? Or will his name get so called blacklisted?

Ok, now, think about this. It's a question for one of our LE members to answer. Ya know when Mommy or Daddy are driving drunk, they are often times hit with an additional charge of endangering the welfare of a minor. Well when some Richard Noggen type gets charged with arson, how about reckless endangerment? He is not only placing the lives of the responders in jeopardy, but also the public they encounter on the road, and there's a good chance, especially with a dumpster, of creating a hazzardous atmosphere around it.

Just an idea, any LEOs care to comment on the feasability of something like this?

Just one question, if he is convicted of arson that means that since his record will be sealed that he could either be hired by a paid department, or allowed to revolunteer? Or will his name get so called blacklisted?

Minors convictions are sealed so if he gets charged as a minor and convicted in Family Court, the conviction will not show when the arson background check is done. If he is tried as an adult and convicted in regular court, it will show up and he will be unable to join another fire department in New York State. If he is aquitted no record will show up when the check is done.

Ok, now, think about this. It's a question for one of our LE members to answer. Ya know when Mommy or Daddy are driving drunk, they are often times hit with an additional charge of endangering the welfare of a minor. Well when some Richard Noggen type gets charged with arson, how about reckless endangerment? He is not only placing the lives of the responders in jeopardy, but also the public they encounter on the road, and there's a good chance, especially with a dumpster, of creating a hazzardous atmosphere around it.

Just an idea, any LEOs care to comment on the feasability of something like this?

The only conviction that disqualifies you to be a firefighter is arson. A sealed record is sealed and can only be opened by court order. When doing the arson check, there will not be any record to find from the PD who is doing it. How do you black list someone? What if he moved out of the area.

Reckless endangerment may not be an arbitrary disqualification.

The only conviction that disqualifies you to be a firefighter is arson. A sealed record is sealed and can only be opened by court order. When doing the arson check, there will not be any record to find from the PD who is doing it. How do you black list someone? What if he moved out of the area.

Reckless endangerment may not be an arbitrary disqualification.

I wasn't saying that it should be used for disqualification, but for prosecutorial purposes.

Yes reckless endangerment could be added but it is not a more serious crime than arson. In addition, it would not disqualify someone from employment in the public sector even if he/she is convicted as an adult. (there are certain exceptions but not for being a firefighter). The fact of the matter is that even if it was added to the charges, it would most likely be eliminated in a plea bargain.

As to arson on a background check; it would not show up if it was sealed, however, the BEST THING TO DO IS PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL!!! I say this because you should have previous addresses on your employment/volunteer applications. Call the P.D. / F.D. in their previous communites beacuse sometimes, you find out more "off the record" information from these phone calls than you ever will by faxing a request to Albany. (Just a bit of advice).

Edited by DOC22

The days of SIGN UP and SHOW UP need to end!

I am good for the day is Black Eye for the Fire Service is starting to act Like a Daily Cup A Coffee.

WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING OR NOT THINKING, THINK OF THE RISK OF SOMEONE RESPONDING TO THAT SMALL DUMPSTER FIRE AND ROLLING THE FIRE TRUCK KILLING HIS CREW.

JUST BECASUE FIREFIGHTERS WANT TO SEE FIRE. IF THEY WANT TO SEE IT SO BAD, GO TO THE FIRE HOUSE FOR TRAINING, AND GET YOUR DEPARTMENT TO GO TO THE TRAINING CENTER AND DO SOME CONTROL LIVE BURNS