Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonMoose

Firefighter 1

41 posts in this topic

Just got signed up to take firefighter 1 in october in katonah and I just wanted to know the specifics on what it covers.

(did a search and didn't find anything)

Thanks guys.

A little bit of everything. Its basically the minimum you need to know plus any additional tidbits your instructors can give you.

You'll cover the basic principles behind fire and fire behavior, safety, SCBA and PPE, building construction, basic firefighting principles (attack types, extinguishing agents, etc), basic engine functions (hose rolls, streams, stretching hose, etc), basic truck functions (ladders, ventilation, search/rescue, forcible entry, etc), suppression systems, basic rope and knot use, overhaul and you should also get trained to the level of HAZMAT Operations.

Chief Byrnes and the guys who teach up in Katonah are class acts and know their stuff. You'll have a good time and I'm sure you'll learn a lot. I'm sure they'll tell you but I'll say it too, don't stop with FF I, keep going with your training once you're finished. Its just the minimum.

fire one is a great class, i just wished that the fire one book would spend more time on building construction.

Firefighter 1 usually consists of:

Firefighter Orientation and Safety

Fire Behavior

Firefighter Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Portable Extinguishers

Ropes and Knots

Rescue and Extrication

Forcible Entry

Ground Ladders

Ventilation

Water Supply

Fire Hose

Fire Streams

Fire Control

Fire Alarms and Sprinklers

Salvage and Overhaul

Evidence Protection

Communications

Fire Prevention and Public Education

Hazardous Materials Awareness

At the end of the class you have to participate in a live burn evolution ...usually in a controlled burn building

Then there is a written and practical test

You can search NFPA 1001 Standards for firefighter professional qualifications to learn more

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm excited for the class to start.

Should I be worried about the "practical/written test"?

You should never worry about anything!

Study, pay attention, and do your best every single moment of everyday, and never look back!

how long is the fire 1 class?

about 3 months worth of class

firefighter one (at least in Florida) is a 160 hour class (which ill get to do in about 80 hours of clas and practical)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm excited for the class to start.

Should I be worried about the "practical/written test"?

Class is 86 hours and will end on Sat. Dec 8th. Get the Delmar text book as soon as possible and start reading. Class now includes class "A" burns at the end. If you keep up on the reading the written test will not be a problem. Practice of practical skills will be required on time outside of class to master the skills. I look forward to having you in my class. See you in October. Bill Dingee Lead Instructor

Class is 86 hours and will end on Sat. Dec 8th. Get the Delmar text book as soon as possible and start reading. Class now includes class "A" burns at the end. If you keep up on the reading the written test will not be a problem. Practice of practical skills will be required on time outside of class to master the skills. I look forward to having you in my class. See you in October. Bill Dingee Lead Instructor

Yeah, I'm waiting for the text book. The cheif said he'd get it to me soon.

What does firefighter 2 cover?

fire one is a great class, i just wished that the fire one book would spend more time on building construction.

Try the Ifsta building construction manual, I think you will find all you need and a little more in there.

Try the Ifsta building construction manual, I think you will find all you need and a little more in there.

Thanks for the advice fjp, my class used the ifsta firefighter essentials book which covers CT firefighter 1 and 2, the building construction chapter was less than 5 pages!!! and in-light of the tragedies in Charleston, Boston, and in even in NYC, I think that this topic should be further stressed.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the text book. The cheif said he'd get it to me soon.

What does firefighter 2 cover?

Firefighter 2 consists of Incident Command Implications, Building Materials and Collapse, Special Rescue, Hydrant Flow and Operability, Hose Tools, Foam Operations, Flammable Liquids/Gases, Detection, Alarm Systems, Fire Cause and Origin, Fire Department Communications, Pre-Fire Planning, Special Situations, Strategy and Tactics

In my class there was an emphasis on communication, situations, and a day of live fire scenarios

Edited by HFD201

Firefighter 2 consists of Incident Command Implications, Building Materials and Collapse, Special Rescue, Hydrant Flow and Operability, Hose Tools, Foam Operations, Flammable Liquids/Gases, Detection, Alarm Systems, Fire Cause and Origin, Fire Department Communications, Pre-Fire Planning, Special Situations, Strategy and Tactics

In my class there was an emphasis on communication, situations, and a day of live fire scenarios

Is repelling part of firefighter 2?

Is repelling part of firefighter 2?

Repelling is not part of the Firefighter 2 Curriculum. I believe it is covered in the Rope Rescue-Operations Level class

Here is the link to the OFPC website with all NY courses with their description.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/residential.html

Also if you want to read more on building costruction there are 2 main books I recommend:

Colllapse of Burning Buildings by Vincent Dunn

Building Construction for the Fire Service by Francis L. Brannigan (the godfather of building construction education for the fire service, RIP Frank)

You can get both at the Faculty-Student Association Bookstore which is located at the Fire Academy in Montour Falls. They have the cheapest prices going being they give discounts on pretty much all the publishers and they usually have free shipping.

http://www.fireacademyfsa.com/

Call them they have a 800 number for NYS residents.

Here is the link to the OFPC website with all NY courses with their description.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/residential.html

Also if you want to read more on building costruction there are 2 main books I recommend:

Colllapse of Burning Buildings by Vincent Dunn

Building Construction for the Fire Service by Francis L. Brannigan (the godfather of building construction education for the fire service, RIP Frank)

You can get both at the Faculty-Student Association Bookstore which is located at the Fire Academy in Montour Falls. They have the cheapest prices going being they give discounts on pretty much all the publishers and they usually have free shipping.

http://www.fireacademyfsa.com/

Call them they have a 800 number for NYS residents.

I concur with the ALS on both books, definitely should be required reading for all firefighters concerning building construction and the effects of fire. Both Dunn and Brannigan are excellent authors. They are suprisingly easy reads, both write from experience and write to the level of a firefighter and not a PhD unlike some authors that have come out of FDNY and want to show off there chemistry background (Clark). Also I would advise avoiding wasting money on the IFSTA Building Construction book unless it is required reading for a class. I bought it read it and it really seemed to be designed more for a course of someone in construction as opposed to the effect of fire on the structure. Just my personal opinion of course but I definitely highly recommend both Dunn and Brannigan.

LOL. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words as well Rescueengine 4.

I also have to back my brother up on the IFSTA Building Construction book, I wanted to put it in my previous post but forgot. I do not find it effective nor very informative for firefighters.

If there are 2 things that I honestly believe make a good fire officer and a great firefighter are their knowledge of fire behavior and building construction. You have to know what's burning, in what, what's it doing and where does it want to go and what is it going to do to the container its burning in. Many of the tactical decisions made are based on the consideration of these factors.

The time has come! Class starts Tuesday.

Anyone else taking this class?

The time has come! Class starts Tuesday.

Anyone else taking this class?

Congrats!!!!, now make us proud and study your Rear End Off!!!

Congrats!!!!, now make us proud and study your Rear End Off!!!

haha yeah, i've been reading the text book ever since I got it.

I wonder what the practical is going to be like - ah I can't wait.

one step at a time, take notes, listen and ask questions. this is something that you have to be proactive in and get hands on!!! trust me i just finished taking the course

When you go to take Fire I with the Delmar book, make sure you use the work book. I do find that IFSTA was an easier read then Delmar, but Delmar has some great information. Just use the work book to assist you.

Also if you can on Amazon.com, they do sell the Fire 1&Fire 2 exam prep, which is great for state day!

It is also amazing that the Fire 1 in NY is 78 hours, and here in Florida it is 160hrs.

When I did fire I in at the County training center, the instructors were great!

When you go to take Fire I with the Delmar book, make sure you use the work book. I do find that IFSTA was an easier read then Delmar, but Delmar has some great information. Just use the work book to assist you.

Also if you can on Amazon.com, they do sell the Fire 1&Fire 2 exam prep, which is great for state day!

It is also amazing that the Fire 1 in NY is 78 hours, and here in Florida it is 160hrs.

When I did fire I in at the County training center, the instructors were great!

Thanks, I'll look around for the workbook - the only book I have now is Delmar. And I'll definitely be looking into the exam prep material.

you have nothing to worry about, fire one is easier than 1st period study hall

1st Period Study hall was tough!

Do you know how early in the morning first period started for me? I am lucky I made it in for lunch time. Ugh! The early mornings!

I have to admit, I love this class. The instructors are great! I've been having a blast learning. Tomorrow's the first practical day. Can't wait!!

I have one problem though, I can't seem to find the addendum for the Delmar Textbook. I google'd it and didn't find much. Any helpful hints?

Edited by DonMoose

Ask your instructor(s). If they do not have a copy then you can probably get one through the FSA bookstore in Montour Falls at the academy.

Ask your instructor(s). If they do not have a copy then you can probably get one through the FSA bookstore in Montour Falls at the academy.

Yeah, I did ask them and they told me to check the fire science academy. But I didn't see it. Maybe I was at the wrong site, or maybe I'm losing my mind. I'll keep checking.