Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest seanc

I Might Take EMT-B Classes: Any Advice?

13 posts in this topic

ok so im looking into taking an emt-b class soon. and was wondering if their is anything i should know? i was also wondering whether or not their are classes at night because im heading into my senior year at high school. also wheres the best place in your opinion to take classes? and one more thinig, i know you have to be 18 in order to take the test but can i take a class where the test is after my birthday but the class isnt?

First off, congrats on taking the first step towards becoming an EMT!! Yes, there are night classes you can take. You can either go through your county when they offer one which is usually 2 nights a week for about 2-3 months...or you can look up the courses in your local college. They usually have night/weekend classes. I took mine when I was in school too, you just have to stay focused and pay attention or you could easily loose track. Listen to your instructors and all of your senior people in your squad/agency and you will do fine.

I believe you can test as long as your b-day falls before the testing date...dont quote me though!!! ;) Anyone else know more specifics about that?

Good luck, and feel free to ask us here for help if and when you need it.

Moose.

I believe you can test as long as your b-day falls before the testing date...dont quote me though!!! ;) Anyone else know more specifics about that?

Yes, I took a 6 month EMT-B at 17 and took the state exam on my 18th birthday. As long as you're 18 when you take the test, you're good. GOOD LUCK!

ok so im looking into taking an emt-b class soon. and was wondering if their is anything i should know? i was also wondering whether or not their are classes at night because im heading into my senior year at high school. also wheres the best place in your opinion to take classes? and one more thinig, i know you have to be 18 in order to take the test but can i take a class where the test is after my birthday but the class isnt?

SUNY WCC has an evening class during this fall semester. Give the school a call. In a perfect world you should be 18 by the day of the state written exam. Additional questions and more informed responses could be answered by the Chair of the WCC EMS Program. Best of luck.

EMT Class at Phelps Hospital

with Neil Mettler

GREAT CLASS!

They have a brand new

Training Center

:D

Sean, also see if your school with give you any extra credit for attending the course. It may be a fight, but I feel that this is "real world knowledge" that is lifesaving, and your school should give you credit for taking this extra initiative.

WCC or Phelps Hospital have excellent EMT classes. Study the practical skills sheets very carefully, especially the medical and trauma patient assessment skills. Maybe take a CPR class before EMT school just to get warmed up. Also pay close attention to the A&P section of the class. It can't hurt to buy a good EMT book now and start reading (Brady - "Emergency Care" you can get it at the WCC book store). Study, study, study and then after that...study. Good luck.

I took my EMT-B class at Irvington VAC in the evening, and it was a great class but the commute from Briarcliff was a pain (especially during rush hour).

I took the class during my senior year, so here's my advice: Keep reading the book as it's assigned. I made the mistake of putting off reading until the day of the unit test, so having to study all of that (plus study for the next day's physics test and finish a calc problem set) wasn't a good idea.

It is my understanding that so long as your 18th birthday falls by the END OF THE MONTH in which you take your state exam, it is acceptable.

Anyone that can correct me?? I am pretty sure that is the rule at least.

Also, congratulations. I just recently attained my EMT, and it has opened a new world, and many new opportunities, including job opportunities. If you feel even a slight interest, I highly recommend pursuing it!

thanks alot everyone for the information. im looking for classes already and i picked up some books to start studying...thanks alot ill be sure to be back on if i need anything else.so again just wondering firefight484 you think that your 18th birthday has to be withing the same calender month? not just after your birthday?...interesting ill be sure to ask that when looking for classes

so again just wondering firefight484 you think that your 18th birthday has to be withing the same calender month? not just after your birthday?...interesting ill be sure to ask that when looking for classes

EMT information from SUNY DCC's website.

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN

EMB 105. EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN - BASIC

4 lec. 5 lab. 6 cr. hrs.

This course combines didactic, psychomotor labs and clinical observation in a progressive manner to prepare students to provide emergency care to patients in the prehospital setting based on New York State Department of Health and U.S. Department of Transportation mandates. Emphasis will be placed on the recognition and treatment of life threatening emergencies. Additional topics to include: Well Being for the EMT-B, Legal Issues, Airway Management, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Patient Assessment, Medical Emergencies, Trauma, Infants and Children and Operations.

Prerequisite: Students must reach their eighteenth birthday by the

last day of the month in which they are eligible to sit for the NYS

certification examination.

thanks alot...now im off to find a class that tests in june...thanks alot to everyone...

thanks alot...now im off to find a class that tests in june...thanks alot to everyone...

Good Luck with it, Sean!